cleaning (sanitizing) nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
jscott

cleaning (sanitizing) nails

Post by jscott » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:56 am

I'm always surprised at how quickly stuff gathers under my right hand nails, which really aren't that long. Flu and cold season is imminent. I've heard of scrub brushes for under the nails and I need one. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Paul Weaver spruce modeled on a Hauser
Takamine C132S 1983 cedar

prawnheed

Re: cleaning (sanitizing) nails

Post by prawnheed » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:48 am

They all work fine. They’re just a nail brush.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:37 am

You should be able to get a nail brush in pretty much every supermarket on the planet. Or save an old toothbrush especially if you have one of the harder ones. The tip of a nail file is also designed for cleaning under the nails. The tip of a scissors will do to but need a bit of care. Every "grooming set" has a bunch of little tools for doing stuff to nails but I suspect the bulk of the kits you see are toys for barbie doll aged girls and mainly designed to look pink and be impossible to hurt yourself with so rob ably useless.

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Occasionally I have to use a very sharp small blade to scrape the bottom of the nail before using the brush
Needless to say there is a high risk factor

jscott

Post by jscott » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Anthony Campanella wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:27 pm
Occasionally I have to use a very sharp small blade to scrape the bottom of the nail before using the brush
Needless to say there is a high risk factor
Yeah, no. I use the tip of a crystal nail file now and this is what I'm trying to avoid. Pink barbie kits don't seem like a good idea for me either, even if they come with a 'my little pony' and a hoof pick. Toothbrushes are too soft, but I haven't tried an extra hard yet. On line shows that's there's tons of crappy brushes around, but I was hoping someone would recommend a brand that works, ideally with stiff brushes.

Sorry but I've never shopped in the nail care aisle of the supermarket before so this is outside of my experience. I do have nail file/polishing kit from SBM.

It's all guys not answering so far.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

The title is a bit confusing ... "sanitizing" makes it sound like you are looking for some sort of chemical anti-bacterial thing rather that simply a mechanical means of cleaning your nails.

jscott

Post by jscott » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Well actually I was hoping for something along those lines as well, if it exists. I suppose Purel spread on a brush would work. My apologies for over complicating this. Purel on a brush it is, we're done! feel free to delete the thread.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 pm

jscott wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm

...........Toothbrushes are too soft, but I haven't tried an extra hard yet. On line shows that's there's tons of crappy brushes around, but I was hoping someone would recommend a brand that works, ideally with stiff brushes.
Use scissors to shorten the bristles of the used toothbrush to the stiffness you need. Shorter, the stiffer. Works great!

CT20

Post by CT20 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:17 pm

If your not happy with a brush and soap, try a denture cleanser tablet dissolved in a small bowl of warm water. Polident or Efferdent or any knock-off brand. Two minutes with you finger tips in the bowl .

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 pm

What's wrong with a traditional nail brush?

I really can't understand this talk of cut down toothbrushes and (of all things) denture cleaning tablets.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

a human

Post by a human » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Washing the dishes by hand and washing your hair seem to work pretty well.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

jscott

Post by jscott » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 pm

I went into CVS and ventured to the forbidden nail care section where I found a nail brush. It works pretty well!

My nails gather stuff under them in about five minutes. So doing the dishes/washing hair etc. only works short term. I guess it's a constant battle. The hypochondriac in me sort of likes the idea of a denture cleanser soak; I'd add soap/penicillin too. But the lazy rationalist in me will never let this happen.

AAA

Post by AAA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:19 am

You don't mention whether you're using artificial nails. My SO (superior officer?) informs me that artificial nails are very liable to debris getting under them and those who wear them have to be extra careful.

That said, for shorter nails, your nail brush sounds like it's filling the bill. If you want to be extra super-duper sanitary, you can dip your fingers in 70% isopropyl alcohol (available at your supermarket) for a few seconds after you've brushed them clean. Then just let them dry. That should take care of any pesky germs. Don't overdo it, of course: you'll dry out your nails as well as your skin, and you don't want that!

AA

msenecal

Post by msenecal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 pm

I use a Sonicare electric toothbrush and liquid soap, followed by olive oil. I've dedicated an old Sonicare brush head to the task.

jscott

Post by jscott » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Inspired by Agedangel I just poured a bit of alcohol in a bowl, put the brush bristles in this, and brushed my nails. I'll watch to see about drying out of nails/skin.

Oh and I use my own nails.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”