How many times a week do you work on your nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
RobMacKillop

Re: How many times a week do you work on your nails

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 pm

I bite them off too! :-)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:08 am

I polish them once a day. Thumb every three days.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

CurtVal

Post by CurtVal » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:26 pm

I practice about 2-3 hrs a day about 4 days a week, but play the guitar everyday. I shape my nails daily with an extremely fine nail file and finish with 500 grit sandpaper. It can be hard to find a nail file fine enough to just take a day's growth off without taking off too much. So what I do is take two new nail files (Revlon type) and file the two together to take off most of the grit. I will do it on both sides, so the files are identical. That way, I have files that will never take too much off at any one time without really working at it. I will also rub two pieces of the 500 grit sandpaper together to also take off a bit of grit.

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:08 pm

I find myself having to file about every third day. I use a small file which I found at the bottom of the toolbox. It seems to keep me happy. I don't have any hook-ups after working with that little baby. All truths get revealed when working on tremolo or something like Astirius, that's for sure.

robert e

Post by robert e » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:41 pm

In general, the more frequently you work on your nails, the less there is to do each time. I do it as many times as I practice. Practicing without prepped nails can be a waste, or worse. I'm still experimenting a bit so the file stays handy while I practice.

I use a glass file. They're very fine, but also can work aggressively with the right touch, which saves time. I don't always polish, though I should (to prevent accidental snags at least). For polishing I use a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, front and back. I keep a small piece in my wallet, too.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:49 pm

Every day, and particularly before playing
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

NoLikeThisAndres

Post by NoLikeThisAndres » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:30 am

Being in the trades and constantly working with my hands demands that I have to tend to my nails on a daily basis. It's actually pretty frustrating because as soon as I get them to the correct length, I'll chip them. It's an ongoing struggle. I thought about the no nail approach but the tone is unsatisfactory to me.

CarmineDeMarco

Post by CarmineDeMarco » Sun May 19, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm a recreational player. I find that if I don't do some slight work on them at least every other day, they become too long.

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Sat May 25, 2019 1:02 pm

As others have said or implied, I file my nails as needed. But I don't cut them or use clippers. And how often? I let my guitar decide. I've found this simple piece of advice to work very well regardless of one's ability: If you can not easy find the point of contact, your nails are too short. If your finger is getting stuck on the point of contact, your nails are too long.

I do buff or sandpaper my nails every single time I pick up a guitar. Remember what we do to achieve great tone: The nail acts as a ramp for the string. This ramp forces the string down into the guitar producing a full, warm, and well-rounded tone. Another way of saying it is the string will leave the string gradually. But the chain is only as good as the weakest link. The tiniest of imperfections will cause the string to catch. This catching will cause the string to leave the nail abruptly and not force the string down. A thin and scratchy tone is the product.
Last edited by Todd Tipton on Sat May 25, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Every 2 to 3 days, depending. File and 500/600 grit sand paper. Must get a glass file, or so I keep telling myself.

CarmineDeMarco

Post by CarmineDeMarco » Sat May 25, 2019 2:00 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:02 pm
If you can not easy find the point of contact, your nails are too short. If your finger is getting stuck on the point of contact, your nails are too long.
This is a great rule of thumb, thanks for this, Todd!

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat May 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Every day... as much or little as needed.
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Juan Miguel Carmona
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Once you get them where you want, If you polish before playing and touch them up every couple of days, you rarely have to do anything else. Once in a while they may need to be filed down, reshaped, etc. For example if you break one and have to redo the others to match or after you go on vacation for a week and forget about them, etc.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri May 31, 2019 12:16 pm

I file them about once or twice a week to keep the edges smooth. In the winter I tend to get a small chip that forms on the tips of my nails and if I don't file that down, it gets larger until finally the nail chips off. Very frustrating.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Fri May 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Every day to maintain them.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”