Post your nails & fingertips. Pretty please.

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post your nails & fingertips. Pretty please.

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am

I would love to see how everyone is keeping their nails.

Please state your experience level and submit a top view as well as a side view of your fingers so that we can see your fingernail and fingertip shape.

Bonus points if you include a recording or video so we can hear your tone.

Double bonus if you tell us your nail routine

Triple bonus if you make or link to a quality video describing a good way to approach nail care.

I will post my own nails (or relative lack thereof) tomorrow as soon as there is some light with which to take some photos.

P.S. Fleshies and beginners are welcome. I also welcome anything else semi-relevant to subject at hand.

Thanks guys.
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

Kolfinna

Re: Post your nails & fingertips. Pretty please.

Post by Kolfinna » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:31 am

Hi!
Relatively new here, have been playing somewhat seriously for a couple months now but have learned a tune or two over the years.

Recording to come later, and I have no idea what I’m doing. I keep my nails painted to keep the surface from splitting/peeling.

Once I get to a place where I can actually upload pictures, I’ll post that too. Fingertips are very fleshy, nail bed is smaller because I chewed my nails for years, probably.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:19 am

Kolfinna wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:31 am
Thanks for the response, I forgot I had posted this.

I was quite content playing with flesh, but I have now revamped my technique to where I'm thinking I want to give nails a go again.. the only problem is that they sometimes seem to get in the way of my other hobby, massage therapy.

Maybe I can find a happy compromise with short nails.

I'd still love to get a few pictures of nails from well established players, if at all possible.
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

Kolfinna

Post by Kolfinna » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 pm

I keep mine fairly short primarily because they are paper-thin and break easily. I follow Tatyana’s recommendation about keeping them near fingertip length—so far it feels more natural this time around than my previous attempt to grow talons. I’m definitely not a fan of the “disconnected” feeling I get when I try playing with longer nails, not to mention the thin tone that comes with it...

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”