Acrylic Nail Best Practices

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
TJurcsisn

Acrylic Nail Best Practices

Post by TJurcsisn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice and best practices from those who have gone the route of acrylic nails, not just for emergency replacement but as a committed alternative to natural nails. Specifically I'm interested in those who apply the acrylic themselves (as opposed to a nail studio).

What products do you use?
Where do you get them?
How do you apply?
Comments/concerns about tone?
Etc.

Any remarks (and especially pictures) will be appreciated, thanks.

TAJ

guit-box

Re: Acrylic Nail Best Practices

Post by guit-box » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

TJurcsisn wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:58 pm
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice and best practices from those who have gone the route of acrylic nails, not just for emergency replacement but as a committed alternative to natural nails. Specifically I'm interested in those who apply the acrylic themselves (as opposed to a nail studio).

What products do you use?
Where do you get them?
How do you apply?
Comments/concerns about tone?
Etc.

Any remarks (and especially pictures) will be appreciated, thanks.

TAJ
I've done it myself, buying kits from Sally Beauty supply, but found letting a pro who does a better job than I can is the way to go. The most difficult thing about DIY is you're working left handed. That's not to say you can't do it yourself and/or there aren't bad pros. If I did it myself again I'd probably find out what brands the pros use, use a magnifying visor and be sure to do all the sanding, cleaning, disinfecting, priming steps required to make sure it sticks well. I pay $12 for 4 nails so it's not really that bad to pay less than $100/year on my nails.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 am

Guitar Player Nails has a variety of products and instructions for using them

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am

1. I would use soft gel..... not acrylic. Results are totally different.

2. If you can afford it, got to a professional nailist/manicurist..... at least until you see how it's done and how good the results are.

3. Once you know how to do it, it's just a question of being able to consistently apply the gel with using your LH.

a human

Post by a human » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Stick on silk wraps and nail glue may be a more minimalist approach and DIY friendly. Search YouTube for silk wraps and guitar for ideas.
Last edited by a human on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Tonebase has a lesson called "Fake Nails" where the guitarist describes how she does her own acrylic nails. I don't find it to be a particularly great instructional, my nail pro does a better and faster job with a electric rotary tool w/ a flex shaft. But it is helpful and demonstrates another professional guitarist using acrylics successfully. There are a lot of legitimate options that others have listed, but acrylic nails are the most durable and long-lasting in my experience. You can definitely get good tone with acrylics, you'll find others who say you can't, but it's a poor craftsman who blames the tool for unsatisfactory results.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:35 am

guit-box wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 pm
Tonebase has a lesson called "Fake Nails" where the guitarist describes how she does her own acrylic nails. I don't find it to be a particularly great instructional, my nail pro does a better and faster job with a electric rotary tool w/ a flex shaft. But it is helpful and demonstrates another professional guitarist using acrylics successfully. There are a lot of legitimate options that others have listed, but acrylic nails are the most durable and long-lasting in my experience. You can definitely get good tone with acrylics, you'll find others who say you can't, but it's a poor craftsman who blames the tool for unsatisfactory results.
No question acrylic is the most durable and long lasting. However, IME the trade-off is that your nails become very rigid and you have less feel. When I touch the string with acrylic on my nails, I know I'm in contact but can't tell what part of the nail is in contact. With soft-gel, the feel is almost identical to natural nails. Down side is that you have to replace the gel every 3 weeks. YMMV.

Gutyev

Post by Gutyev » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Is anyone experiencing intense treble string degradation with gel/acrylic? After 10 min my high e is scratched to sh!t. I've been polishing the nails for hours. They might be a bit thick, but other than that I can't think of anything. Please send suggestions!

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:05 pm

i used acrylic but found i got scratchy tone. Guitar-box how do you overcome that? I have used all the sandpapers files etc but still scratchy. You have another way.

I use Prescription nails put on every 2 weeks from a nail pro who does a great job. Fantastic tone.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”