Gel Nail opinions?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
jaggedsphere

Gel Nail opinions?

Post by jaggedsphere » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:45 pm

I have very thin nails that just don't cut it when I am trying to grow them long.
Has anyone tried Gel nails? I don't want to go with acrylic but may have to...:(

juggernaut

Post by juggernaut » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:13 am

i have heard eating gelatin daily helps harden and thicken the nails.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:33 am

Hello Jaggedsphere,

Have you tried Onymyrrhe?

viewtopic.php?t=8044

Here are some other discussions that may help you:

viewtopic.php?t=3600

viewtopic.php?t=7955

viewtopic.php?t=6525

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:04 pm

juggernaut wrote:i have heard eating gelatin daily helps harden and thicken the nails.
Unless I'm not up to date on the latest, there's not much you can do for thin nails. It is what it is. Acrylic is a lot more easy and less painful than dealing with nails that constantly split.

Vito

borisd

Post by borisd » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:45 am

Hi juggernaut,

I'm not trying to scare you off the thing, but just be careful with it. It seems that the gel (unless there is some special brand I'm not aware of) does to your nails the same thing the nylon socks do to your feet. It prevents normal breathing of the skin underneath the nail (or whatever people have down there) and there's always a risk of developing a fungal infection.

I haven't tried it, but a friend of mine had. At first he was delighted. He told me that he can finally play at high volume without the subconscious inhibiting fear of breaking the nails. After a couple of months he suffered an infection (apparently as a result of a tiny injury during the treatment, not a fungal one) so bad that it had to be cured by antibiotics.

Well, in spite of that, he is still using gel nails. Knowing how hypochondriacal that firend of mine can be, I guess the benefits of gel nails might be worth the risks. :)

Regards,
Boris

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:10 am

Many of us wear acrylic nails without any problems.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”