Bach, J. S. - BWV 0996 Prelude - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
rkguitar16

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 0996 Prelude - Video

Post by rkguitar16 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Wonderful performance - articulation, pulse, consistency of sound, all there. Bravo!

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Perfection! :bravo: and a great sounding guitar/ recording. Who is the Luthier, is it a double top?

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:32 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:49 am
This was expertly played and so clean and clear! I really enjoyed your playing, so very nice, thank you for posting this!
Thank you so much! Soon I'll share another movements from the suite! Greetings from Brazil.

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:33 pm

optichero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:09 pm
That was very well executed. Congrats!

warmest wishes
Kevin
Thank you, Kevin! Greetings from Rio de Janeiro!

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:34 pm

rkguitar16 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:46 pm
Wonderful performance - articulation, pulse, consistency of sound, all there. Bravo!
Thank you!

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:35 pm
Perfection! :bravo: and a great sounding guitar/ recording. Who is the Luthier, is it a double top?
Thank you Steve,

The guitar was built by brazilian luthier Sergio Abreu. He was part, together with his brother Eduardo Abreu, of the Duo Abreu. Do you know they? Since the 80s he is retired of the stages and dedicates himself to guitar building. He don't build double top instruments, only traditional ones. He is inspered by the Hauser's luthier school. This one that I play in the video is a 2005 model (spruce top and brazilian rosewood sides and back) bought two years ago.

Best wishes,

Eric

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:15 am

This was an exceptionally good Bach performance, a real joy to hear. Thanks a lot for sharing it!

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Eric Dalles wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm
SteveL123 wrote:
Thank you Steve,

The guitar was built by brazilian luthier Sergio Abreu. He was part, together with his brother Eduardo Abreu, of the Duo Abreu. Do you know they? Since the 80s he is retired of the stages and dedicates himself to guitar building. He don't build double top instruments, only traditional ones. He is inspered by the Hauser's luthier school. This one that I play in the video is a 2005 model (spruce top and brazilian rosewood sides and back) bought two years ago.

Best wishes,

Eric
Hi Eric,

I know of the Abreu brothers and have heard some of their playing on Youtube. I have also read about Sergio taking on Luthiery after his performance days. You have a beautiful sounding guitar! I'll have to keep my eyes out for an opportunity to try one someday. Can you tell us more about the recording setup such as kind of room (I see some sound treatment on the walls), mics and recording equipment used and whether reverb was added? I have subscribed to your channel and looking forward to more videos. Happy new year!

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:57 pm
Eric Dalles wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm
SteveL123 wrote:
Thank you Steve,

Best wishes,

Eric
Hi Eric,

I know of the Abreu brothers and have heard some of their playing on Youtube. I have also read about Sergio taking on Luthiery after his performance days. You have a beautiful sounding guitar! I'll have to keep my eyes out for an opportunity to try one someday. Can you tell us more about the recording setup such as kind of room (I see some sound treatment on the walls), mics and recording equipment used and whether reverb was added? I have subscribed to your channel and looking forward to more videos. Happy new year!
Hey Steve,

I have recorded this and other videos (soon I'll release then) in the "Estúdio 12 por 8" here in Brazil. The sound engineer was Pablo Moreno, that is too the owner of the Estudio. He has a really unique space and a equipment, i would say one of the best in South America to record classical guitar. The recording chain was:

The array was a spaced pair of sdc plus a ribbon mic between them.

Pair of Beyerdynamic MC930 -> ADL 600 preamp -> apogee symphony I/O -> Pro Tools 12.

AEA N8 ribbon mic -> AEA RPQ 500 Preamp -> apogee symphony I/O -> pro tools 12

And in the room he putted a "2D QRD diffuser” some “mineral wool pannels" to control the low frequencies.

Best wishes,

Eric

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 pm

About the Abreu Guitar, I really recomend you to try some one some day. I must say that it is not the easiest instrument to play, but it has some unique qualities that in my opinion compensate the effort.

fraim

Post by fraim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pm

hi eric,

very nicely played!!
i'm jealous because your fingers look very long which seems great for this piece.

could you share a bit of your background? ie: where did you train; how long have you been playing, etc

thanks!

Eric Dalles

Post by Eric Dalles » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm

fraim wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pm
hi eric,

very nicely played!!
i'm jealous because your fingers look very long which seems great for this piece.

could you share a bit of your background? ie: where did you train; how long have you been playing, etc

thanks!
Hello, Fraim,

Fisrt of all i wish you a great 2018. Don't be jealous because my fingers ain't that big att all! They are in fact quite normal and Franz Halazs said in a Master Class in 2016 that i have a quite small hand for guitar playing rsrs.

Sure that i could share a little about my background. I have studied classical guitar in a local conservatoire for three years in Rio de Janeiro when i was about 12 or 13. Than i entered the "Music Teaching" course (Licenciatura) in Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and fall in love with popular 7 strings guitar and spent some 4 or 5 years playing samba and choro in some gigs here in Rio. By that time i played quite no classical guitar more. In 2011 i met the classical guitar teacher of the University and began to have classes as "optative subject". As he is such a great teacher, i started to regain interest in classical guitar again. In 2013 he encouraged me to take part in a local competition, but i was reluctant to do so because i thought i was not prepared. Despite of that I took part in the competition and for my surprise got the 2nd prize. I thought that result was pretty good for a first competition and this gave me stimulus to take part in other ones. So i continued to win good results in national and latin americans competitions in the same year and had the will to dedicate myself more and more to classical guitar. So in 2014 i gave up to play popular music and dedicated myself 100% to classical guitar and its repertoire.

So i finished my Musical Teaching course and entered again in the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro in the Guitar Bachelor course with the same teacher. At the same time i entered the Master Course in Music Pedagogy. And so i continued to take part in competitions (my best result was a 3d prize in the international J. S. Bach competition in Germany in 2014) and in other classical music events. I won scholarships in 2014, 2016 and 2017 for the Campos do Jordão Winter Festival (one of the biggest and most traditional classical music festival in Latin America, that occurs every year in São Paulo) and in had the opportunity to do masterclasses with great teachers as Eduardo Fernandez, Franz Halazs, Fábio Zanon and Paulo Martelli.

Nowadays i have finished the Guitar Bachelor and also got My Master Degree in Music Pedagogy in 2017. I wrote as master's final work a book called "Técnicas e Estudos do Classicismo para Violão" (something as "Classical Guitar Technique trought 19th Century Studies"), witch is a guitar technique book that approaches elements of modern classical guitar technique using studies from Sor, Carcassi, Giuliani etc. as subsidy. I will publish it this year in Brazil and i'm already working in its english version.

Wow, i have wrote a big text! Sorry for that! Best wishes from Brazil!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 am

Eric Dalles wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:32 pm
spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:49 am
This was expertly played and so clean and clear! I really enjoyed your playing, so very nice, thank you for posting this!
Thank you so much! Soon I'll share another movements from the suite! Greetings from Brazil.
You're welcome! I am looking forward to the other movement! Greetings from Canada. :bye:

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”