Bach, J. S. - BWV 1005 Allegro assai - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
jaan

Bach, J. S. - BWV 1005 Allegro assai - Video

Post by jaan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:41 am

Listen, then read below! Hope you enjoy.

(Recorded with my 1999 Traphagen)

So, it's 6 months since I first posted a recording of this piece, and I'm still struggling with it. It's like whack-a-mole; every time I run through it, I correct what went wrong last time but a new mistake pops up. Trying to force myself to keep recording and posting and hope that progress is being made. Frustrating, though. :nerveux:

Oh well, certainly not the first time Bach has made a fool of me! Thanks for listening!
Last edited by jaan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateurs practice until we get it right; professionals practice until they no longer get it wrong.

1999 Dake Traphagen (spruce)
2008 Dake Traphagen (spruce, double top)
2010 David Pace (cedar, double top)
2019 Antonius Müller (cedar, double top)

Tonit

Re: Bach, J.S. - BWV 1005 Allegro assai - Video

Post by Tonit » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 am

Very nice. I see inter alia the sound quality has been improved without getting too hi-midrangy compared to the previous recording (which is also great btw). Kudos!

Desperado

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1005 Allegro assai - Video

Post by Desperado » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm

very difficult piece but a good effort. dont understand why you make the mistakes? you have a fantastic technique - if i were you i would spend more time thinking through piece without the guitar. until you can play through mentally without hesitation an error is more thanlikely to occur. i didd play these, not very well, i used to listen to grumiaux whilst playing through mentally without the guitar...if that makes sense.
anywasys nice to a video without the edits....one of my big dislikes - video editing. :D

jaan

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1005 Allegro assai - Video

Post by jaan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Desperado wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm
if i were you i would spend more time thinking through piece without the guitar. until you can play through mentally without hesitation an error is more thanlikely to occur.
Ding ding ding ding ding. Yes, you're 100% correct. I spend very little time visualizing these days, and my ability to focus through a piece suffers as a result. So, everything I play has glitches, no matter how simple or how hard. Thanks for the reminder, the encouragement, and for your inspirational playing and videos! :okok:
Tonit wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 am
Very nice. I see inter alia the sound quality has been improved without getting too hi-midrangy compared to the previous recording (which is also great btw). Kudos!
Thanks much! Yes, always tweaking the mic placement, relative levels, etc. A fun and never-ending process! I find I struggle to keep the mid-ranges down on my Pace guitar when close mic'ing. Traphagens are a bit more balanced across the tonal range.
Amateurs practice until we get it right; professionals practice until they no longer get it wrong.

1999 Dake Traphagen (spruce)
2008 Dake Traphagen (spruce, double top)
2010 David Pace (cedar, double top)
2019 Antonius Müller (cedar, double top)

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”