Bach, J. S. - BWV 1006a Prelude - D10

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Tubbers

Re: Bach, J. S. - Prelude from Suite No.4 in E Major BWV 1006a

Post by Tubbers » Tue May 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Lovely! Lovely! Lovely!
:applauso:
Help!

JoelJ

Post by JoelJ » Fri May 08, 2009 4:02 pm

This one always gives me shivers when played by someone as good as you

Brian Monaghan

Post by Brian Monaghan » Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Thanks so much for this, I love the expression!
:casque: :bravo:

owl

Post by owl » Thu May 21, 2009 11:38 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to listen and respond... I'm happy you enjoyed the music :D

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Arctic_Guardian

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1006a Prelude - D10

Post by Arctic_Guardian » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:20 am

Now this is some really nice sounding music, perfect speed, nicely-shaped tone, great dynamics, I don´t know what more to say but your interpretation is really amazing and I can´t decide at that moment if I like it better than John WIlliams version, which has been my favourite up until now... What I´m sure about is that your tone is unique and among the nicest I´ve ever heard, even though others may have recorded their guitars with an equipment a lot more expensive then yours. Great!

marta150310

Post by marta150310 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:02 pm

Owl - you are amazing musican , your interpretation is so well-thought and mature, your tone and phrasing are great. I hear that you worked on every detail of this piece. have you heard Marcin Dylla interpretation?? He is also very good.

Thank you for beautiful music
Marta

EmmanuelN

Post by EmmanuelN » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 am

owl wrote:This piece needs an assertive attack... it is amazing music to play... it is a clarion call ... an announcement... the call needs to be demanding and strong... an invitation to what follows.
Of course this is how I feel it should be... the suite tells a story for me but you might feel differently about it... that is of course your prerogative.
Owl
I'm really impressed by your perfect technique and, moreover, by the coherence of yor interpretation; Thanks a lot for sharing! :bravo: :casque:

My eyes and fingers discovered this prelude 1 month ago and I asked lots of questions on the french forum, in order to get an idea of this prelude through organ, lute, baroc guitar, piano, violin and orchestra various versions. Cadiz told me that I should go to the english forum to listen to Owl's version, and I really thank him now :D

I like this idea of a clarion call (you can listen to trumpet calls in the organ + orchestra version of the BWV 29 simfonia).

Could you please tell us a bit more about the "story" this suite tells you?

:bye:

Emmanuel

owl

Post by owl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 am

Thank you for listening Arctic_Gardian and Marta... I really appreciate your generous comments
EmmanuelN wrote: Could you please tell us a bit more about the "story" this suite tells you?
And thank you for listening too Emmanuel... it's interesting that you ask this question
After I first recorded the suite (I have posted all 6 movements here), I had a friend write to me with his impressions of each piece... musically he and I always seem to be on the same wavelength
It was amazing how close he came to how each piece makes me feel when I play it... he felt the entire story as he listened in almost the same way I do when I play it

I was going to post the story, but then I didn't want to colour anyone's perception of the music... however, it has been up for a long time now, so for your benefit I will tell you the story... as I feel it :)

J S Bach 1006a

Prelude
This is the clarion call... the announcement... the invitation
She hears it calling... the clarity... the urgency!
‘Come!... come, this is the ball... this is the night... this is the moment’
Her heart quickens as the music issues forth... calling... enticing... an invitation, open to all.
She will go... the music plays on... she listens, and shivers in anticipation!

Loure
Slowly she enters the ballroom... a little unsure she hesitates in the doorway... her eyes sweeping the room
She sees him... his eyes fasten on her face... she looks away and moves into the room... a greeting here... a small curtsy there.
A smile... a nod... the offering of a gloved hand... all the while she knows he is approaching
He is here!.. her heart flutters as he takes her hand and claims her for the next dance.

Gavotte en Rondeau
He is tall, dark and very intense... she feels the stateliness of the dance but underneath it all she feels quite mischievous... almost naughty.
She tries to maintain a demure demeanor... but flirts with him as they dance.
Her fan occasionally hides her smile while her laughing eyes tease him... holding offer of things to follow as she glances up from beneath her lashes.
The dance ends and she has his unspoken promise of the night to come, as he has hers!

Minuettes l and ll
Aaahh!... duty calls... he must dance with the elderly Dowager Duchess and then her spinster daughter.
She is in the arms of the foreign Prince... and is then swept away by the earnestly perspiring Squire.
They pass on the dance floor... glances meet... a tiny smile lifts the corners of his mouth as her eyes dance past!

Bouree
The dancers form two rows... she is passed from one to another as she swings down the line... he has her... now he is gone!
Again he slips an arm around her waist and just as quickly releases her to the next dancer... but she knows that on that last pass he will not let her go... he will hold her, and they will be together for the finale of the evening.

Gigue
He holds her firmly... now glances are full... her eyes, now flashing and aware touch his... ‘here I am’... and his reply ‘I know’!
This is the finale... hands linger, trembling a little... now is acceptance... this is the promise of the night... now is the passion to be fulfilled.
The carriage awaits!

Joy in the music

Owl

EmmanuelN

Post by EmmanuelN » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks so much for sharing these impressions, this "story". I'll listen to your version of the whole suite in the next days!

Despite I love baroc music, I've never tried to put a story on JSBach instrumental music (I often do this for Rameau, romantic and russian music). I'll try to get your point, Owl and to open my ears, my heart and my mind when listening to you playing JSB :D :casque:

:bye:

Emmanuel

owl

Post by owl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 pm

EmmanuelN wrote:I'll try to get your point, Owl and to open my ears, my heart and my mind when listening to you playing JSB :D :casque:
No matter what you hear when you listen Emanuel I hope you enjoy the music :)
As the listener, it's what you hear in your heart that is important, but if you feel what is in mine then that's even better :mrgreen:

Joy in the music

Owl

fzchtl

Post by fzchtl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Owl,
i realy don't know what i can say! Just simple WOW!
... and standing owations from my! :applauso: :okok: :merci:
All the best
Jörg

Emmanuel

Post by Emmanuel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Wow. Where were you instructed?

freestroke

Post by freestroke » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Emmanuel wrote:Wow. Where were you instructed?
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
Hell is full of amateur musicians -- GB Shaw

owl

Post by owl » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Thank you for listening Jörg and Emmanuel... I'm happy you enjoyed the piece :D
I've had many wonderful teachers Emmanuel... and I'm still learning

freestroke wrote: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
That's funny freestroke... shades of yesteryear :roll:
I guess I could continue, "in the land of the 5 legged purple cow" :lol:

Joy in the music

Owl

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:35 pm

At last I found the rest to enjoy your recording, Owl. What a brilliant recording: you make it sound so natural, so effortless. Thank you and virtual kisses from me to you. :love:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”