Pain in left and right elbows - please help

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Simon the Pieman

Pain in left and right elbows - please help

Post by Simon the Pieman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 am

Hi - as both a keen right handed squash player and guitarist (several styles and types of guitar, including classical), I have been plagued with what I believe is known as 'golfer's elbow' for many years in my right arm. Intriguingly, this has been joined recently by golfer's elbow's familiar shooting/sharp pains in my left elbow too.

The associated pain rarely bothers me whilst I am playing guitar. It is in doing the multitude of ordinary daily activities we all do that I feel it. Obviously with squash, there is an extra reason why I am getting pain and some inflammation as I hold the racket in my right hand. But with my left elbow, I cant quite work out why this should be. I did go through a period of more intense and technical classical guitar practice over the last two years, maybe that is what has caused the left elbow to complain. Classical necks are wider and fatter than steel string acoustics or electric guitars. Also I applied fairly notable rigour in repeating a long list of technical exercises daily, designed to stretch and strengthen both hands. Maybe i overdid it !!

Wondering if anyone has good physiotherapy exercises, You Tube videos or articles that they can recommend which will help me lessen the pain and perform the correct stretches.

Very grateful in advance for your help.

TomPage

Re: Pain in left and right elbows - please help

Post by TomPage » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 pm

You should google "reverse Tyler twist golfer's elbow".
Tom

bear

Post by bear » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm

See a physician, possibly a neurologist.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 pm

bear wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm
See a physician, possibly a neurologist.
+2

If you have an inflammatory condition, doing more stretching and conditioning may be counterproductive without addressing the cause of the inflammation. Time to ask a medical practitioner before proceeding.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

I agree with Lagartija, see a doctor.

Alexander Kalil

Post by Alexander Kalil » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Simon the Pieman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 am
I applied fairly notable rigour in repeating a long list of technical exercises daily, designed to stretch and strengthen both hands. Maybe i overdid it !!
Are you doing those 'hand stretching and strengthening exercises' on your own or are you being monitored by a teacher? If the former, then I'd recommend you drop them from your daily practice routine. They are not necessary for achieving technical mastery of the instrument.

Simon the Pieman

Post by Simon the Pieman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks for all your comments, especially Tom Page - the Theraband Flexbar looks worth a try. Alexander Kalil - most of the exercises I do are copied from or similar to those suggested in Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon", several of which are advocated/adapted by other known guitarists. I used to teach guitar so hopefully I know roughly what I am doing. It was necessary for me to go back to the 'guitar gym' to work out quite a bit, due to the fact that persistent nail problems (which are now cured) had prevented me from playing classical guitar for several years, although during this time I was able to keep up with steel string and electric technique.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:14 am

Did you, Simon see a doctor for your problem yet?

Meantime, I'd say the most reasonable course of action is rest, as my impression is that you are very aggressive to fix your problem on your own, not to mention you seemed to ignore the golfer's elbow on your right arm for a few years, and now the problem appears on your left elbow?

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”