Yamaha GC82S

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 am

nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 am
And the resonant and projection of 650 is usually better than short scale length (traditional fan patterns)...
Well, I have no short scale guitars to compare...but my son-in-law (a very good musician: violinist, singer and accomplished bell ringer) just dropped by to see and hear the guitar...he was amazed at the resonance, tonal character and projection. I will try to make some recordings so I can hear the GC82S myself from a bit of a distance.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by HNLim » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 am

Beowulf wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 am
nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 am
And the resonant and projection of 650 is usually better than short scale length (traditional fan patterns)...
Well, I have no short scale guitars to compare...but my son-in-law (a very good musician: violinist, singer and accomplished bell ringer) just dropped by to see and hear the guitar...he was amazed at the resonance, tonal character and projection. I will try to make some recordings so I can hear the GC82S myself from a bit of a distance.
You should invite a good guitarist to play your guitar . That was what I did with my 30A. I didn't realized how well the guitar projects the sound and how refine is the tone until I listen to it myself. Even standing about 60 to 80 feet away behind, the sound is still very clear.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

nmshu1
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 am
Location: Southern California, USA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 am

Beowulf wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 am
nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 am
And the resonant and projection of 650 is usually better than short scale length (traditional fan patterns)...
Well, I have no short scale guitars to compare...but my son-in-law (a very good musician: violinist, singer and accomplished bell ringer) just dropped by to see and hear the guitar...he was amazed at the resonance, tonal character and projection. I will try to make some recordings so I can hear the GC82S myself from a bit of a distance.
You may try in front of a big mirror to know its projection...
2014 Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, 2012 Córdoba C9 650, 2013 Córdoba C9 650
2015 Paulino Bernabe Torres 645
2015 Juan Hernandez Torres 640, 1986 Sweet Tone 640
2016 German V. Rubio Concert 635, 2016 German V. Rubio Estudio 635
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 630

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:38 pm

HNLim wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 am
Beowulf wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 am
nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 am
And the resonant and projection of 650 is usually better than short scale length (traditional fan patterns)...
Well, I have no short scale guitars to compare...but my son-in-law (a very good musician: violinist, singer and accomplished bell ringer) just dropped by to see and hear the guitar...he was amazed at the resonance, tonal character and projection. I will try to make some recordings so I can hear the GC82S myself from a bit of a distance.
You should invite a good guitarist to play your guitar . That was what I did with my 30A. I didn't realized how well the guitar projects the sound and how refine is the tone until I listen to it myself. Even standing about 60 to 80 feet away behind, the sound is still very clear.
Perhaps in the future...for now, not nobody, not no how ain't gonna play her 'cept me... :wink:
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:52 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 am
Beowulf wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 am
nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 am
And the resonant and projection of 650 is usually better than short scale length (traditional fan patterns)...
Well, I have no short scale guitars to compare...but my son-in-law (a very good musician: violinist, singer and accomplished bell ringer) just dropped by to see and hear the guitar...he was amazed at the resonance, tonal character and projection. I will try to make some recordings so I can hear the GC82S myself from a bit of a distance.
You may try in front of a big mirror to know its projection...
Ah...I got it:
20090527152118!Burne-Jones,_Edward_-_The_Mirror_of_Venus_-_1875_.jpg
:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by HNLim » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Douglas, can you take a photo of the GC82S tuning machine?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:18 pm

HNLim wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:58 pm
Douglas, can you take a photo of the GC82S tuning machine?
My pleasure. Here you go HNLim:
GC82S Tuning Machine_Gotoh 35G510QC-M small .jpg
Gotoh 35G510QC-M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by HNLim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:01 am

This is what LMIi is selling for $257.76.
20180328_115440.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:57 pm

HNLim wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:01 am
This is what LMIi is selling for $257.76.

20180328_115440.png
Same line...more expensive due to aluminium/plastic rollers and wood buttons.

Similar design to Segovia's 1937 Hauser:
Segovia's 1937 Hauser Tuning Machine small.jpg
Also note the reduced head angle which Yamaha used on the GC82S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 pm

And on to the method for adjusting my technique to the GC82S: I have decided the best way to secure my technique for the different touch required is "back to basics". Segovia scales and Sor studies, "Slurs, Ornaments and Reach Development Exercises" by Shearer, Tennant's "Pumping Nylon", etudes by Aguado, Carcassi, etc. Once I wear out the first set of strings, I will install the same Augustine Regal/Blue strings, but use the Diamond string ties to slightly increase the resistance to attack. I can feel that I am on the right track and should have things in hand (pardon the pun) in a few months.

The sound is very balanced across the strings and I have been enjoying learning "El Noi de la Mare" by Llobet (many thanks Sheldon) and Home by Andrew York. The beauty of the upper registers is striking and well supported by the ample mids and sustain of the basses.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
souldier
Posts: 1415
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by souldier » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 am

It's always an interesting experience getting acquainted with a new instrument and learning to maximize its potential. It's like adjusting to a new car - each one responds differently.

Glad you're enjoying the piece by Llobet. Definitely one of my favorites.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by HNLim » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:56 am

souldier wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 am
It's always an interesting experience getting acquainted with a new instrument and learning to maximize its potential. It's like adjusting to a new car - each one responds differently.

Glad you're enjoying the piece by Llobet. Definitely one of my favorites.
As a self-taught guitarist, I find not much difference when playing with different good quality guitars. So for me, this so called "acquainted or "adjusting" does not affect me.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:56 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 am
It's always an interesting experience getting acquainted with a new instrument and learning to maximize its potential. It's like adjusting to a new car - each one responds differently.

Glad you're enjoying the piece by Llobet. Definitely one of my favorites.
A new car takes me about 200 hours...so I guess 5-6 months... :D

I also did not know the meaning of the title "El noi de la mare" in Catalan: The Child of the Mother or Mother's boy...a traditional Catalan Christmas song. :merci:
Last edited by Beowulf on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:00 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:56 am
souldier wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 am
It's always an interesting experience getting acquainted with a new instrument and learning to maximize its potential. It's like adjusting to a new car - each one responds differently.

Glad you're enjoying the piece by Llobet. Definitely one of my favorites.
As a self-taught guitarist, I find not much difference when playing with different good quality guitars. So for me, this so called "acquainted or "adjusting" does not affect me.
Perhaps for me this is related to having played on only one instrument for 45 years and having 68 year old hands... :mrgreen:
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Well, I can now feel an improvement in the familiarity of my hands with the instrument. Given how sensitive and responsive the top is to touch and the very wide range of tone colour, I must be very precise in contouring and smoothing my nails. Also my technique must be accurate and fluid. If any of these elements are not just right...boy can you hear it.

When I get it right, the music begins to sing and flow. The ample sustain in the bass provides a better foundation for the mids and trebles. The sustain is enough that I now have to use more damping, or else the notes will carry on beyond the appropriate time and phrases. I am amazed at the resonant clarity of the voices in the music. Also the trebles are very easy to vary from bright & penetrating to sweet & lyrical with only a small adjustment in touch and angle of attack.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”