How much do you practice?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Doraemon

How much do you practice?

Post by Doraemon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:28 pm

So I find myself with lots of free time lately, I was just wondering how much all of you practice each day/week?
:)

rpavich

Re: How much do you practice?

Post by rpavich » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Doraemon wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:28 pm
So I find myself with lots of free time lately, I was just wondering how much all of you practice each day/week?
:)
Not as much as I should. By the time I get home from work, do any errands that have to be done, eat dinner..I'm lucky to get 30-45 minutes in. I try and cram 30 minutes into the morning before work to make up for it.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 pm

As far as I am concerned, it has pretty much only been limited by the other stuff that gets in the way. Study, jobs, family, beer, sleeping, etc...

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:10 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 pm
As far as I am concerned, it has pretty much only been limited by the other stuff that gets in the way. Study, jobs, family, beer, sleeping, etc...
Beer=practice killer. :D
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I try a minimum 2hrs. I am retired so it's more a case of how much, not when. There's a lot of focus on improving my technique and finger strength, so the first hour is devoted to left and right hand exercises, including scales, tremolo, slurs, Giuliani studies etc. The second hour I work on sight reading, present music and keeping in touch with recent music learned. I learned to play in the 1970's but then never did anything for nearly 4 decades until last year. I have a lot to do.
Trev
Robert Welford 1978
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20 1995

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 pm

I’ve recently changed my routine. (I am retired). I used to do two main sessions one during the day one in the evening. But if I wanted to put in more than 2 hours this way I had to sit for at least an hour or so each time. I found this is too long to remain comfortable sitting and I lose concentration at the end. So I started doing 4X45 sessions. The 45 minutes flies by. I get one in after breakfast. Take a walk with the dog. Get one in right after lunch. Then another before dinner. Finally a fun session after dinner before relaxing for the evening. This is kind of the routine Segovia recommended. Sitting for 45 is a lot less stressful than for 60 or god forbid more. And I am more productive. If I have something going on in the evening and have to skip, I’ve still gotten and couple hours in. And there is plenty of rest time in between.

I realize this is too much time for a beginner. DONT TRY THIS AT HOME. But I’m beyond that and working on some more challenging and longer pieces (D06 for you Delcamp students). This would be hard to do for you working stiffs. Back in the day I would take my guitar to work and get in a session at lunch or for a break in the afternoon.

Time is subordinate to quality. That’s why this works better than my previous regimen.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Doraemon

Post by Doraemon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Time is subordinate to quality. That’s why this works better than my previous regimen.
Good luck Rick! That sounds like a good routine. So you get in a good 3 hours a day. I do something similar by cutting my practice into multiple segments per day.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:10 pm

I always have a break of 1/2 hr after my first hour. I agree it's better to split the practice up into sections. Main practice for me is first part of the morning but if I'm able to practice in the afternoon, always feel's more productive.
Trev
Robert Welford 1978
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20 1995

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:45 am

How much do I practice? Not enough. I agree very much with Rick's schedule, although I am not able to do so with my current work schedule. Congratulations, Rick! I might move the second set from after lunch to before lunch, but it's a matter of personal preference and what a person's schedule permits.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:17 am

I was just able to do about 20 minutes to half an hour because of an extended illness. But my health is continuing to improve, and for about the last four weeks I’ve been able to do two hours or more. I pick up the guitar two or three times a day. In the morning I sight read and by the afternoon, I am just trying to play what I’ve been working on with no sheet music. I am currently working on Sor studies, the Tecla 101 edition.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:51 am

Never enough. At last I am learning that the how counts for as much or more than the how much. That principle is saving my body parts and my sanity.
I average 2-3 hours per week with the phone and the tv turned off.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

fraim

Post by fraim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:30 pm

on average i practice 2hrs per day +/- i set the clock for 15min segments, taking a 5min stretch between each 30mins. 1hr in the a.m. & 1hr in the evening. i practice 6 days per wk

eno

Post by eno » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Like most busy people here my problem is finding time for practice but when I get a chance (like free weekend) I play all day long until my fingers get badly sore and I sadly have to put the guitar away. The hardest thing about CG playing is to stop playing.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 pm

on normal working days 2 hours, on weekends and holidays 3 hours or more up to 4. I practice 7/7 days a week. Luckily my family is very generous in granting me practice slots.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

razz

Post by razz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Usually 1.5 -2 hours in 3 sessions, during the week

30-40 minutes in the morning for technical work and new material.

30-40 minutes at lunch to work on repertoire that I have memorized

30-40 minutes in the evening is more playing than practice. Usually, I play piece that I have not memorized, from the score. Also, I find a piece or 2 to sight read. If I have more time, I will work the steel string for a while.

On weekends, combine the 3 sessions into one. Typically I spend about 1-1.5 hours playing on the weekends.

Return to “Public Space”