How many people use those rubber grip mats to stop their guitar slipping away?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Dr ToneControl

How many people use those rubber grip mats to stop their guitar slipping away?

Post by Dr ToneControl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 pm

you know, this sort of thing:

I use them a lot now

I got my first piece with one of these furniture moving platforms:

My mate uses one to hold lap steels on a flat surface, but then I also saw Matt Wadsworth, a Theorbo player using one to maintain the position of the instrument, which gave me the idea to try it out. I recently saw Gary Ryan using one in this video:

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: How many people use those rubber grip mats to stop their guitar slipping away?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Yes, a big bit on each leg. Feels very insecure now if I play for a while without. But then also it helps me use a rest that I can move out half-way towards the knee; without some mat that would tend to slip even further, depending on trouser material.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

celestemcc

Re: How many people use those rubber grip mats to stop their guitar slipping away?

Post by celestemcc » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Yes, a big bit on each leg. Feels very insecure now if I play for a while without. But then also it helps me use a rest that I can move out half-way towards the knee; without some mat that would tend to slip even further, depending on trouser material.
I use a couple of pieces of 1mm neoprene that I found at a German music festival, recommended by a German guitarist I'd met. Exactly what Stephen says above, they make the guitar feel so much more secure. Next time I'd just try a local dive shop or kayak shop, but at least these were very cheap even in Germany.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Jeff Whitney

Post by Jeff Whitney » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:50 pm

I use that! I thought I was the only one. Two pieces, one on each leg.
Jeff Whitney
Jeff Whitney
Prudencio Saez Mod. 8
Takamine C132S

GravyDave

Post by GravyDave » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:23 pm

I have been trying to use one. My instructor has been pressing for it for awhile now. I can see why. I tend to have the guitar slightly tilted so I can see what I'm doing. I think I'm just lazy because I can see the benefit. Mental note to start using it!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm

No. Tried it. Damaged the polish on a lovely instrument some years ago. Choose carefully, but you may not know you have the wrong stuff until you see damage.....

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm
No. Tried it. Damaged the polish on a lovely instrument some years ago. Choose carefully, but you may not know you have the wrong stuff until you see damage.....
Hmmm....a JW ? No worries if it is. It's a great guitar.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 pm

edcat7 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 pm
petermc61 wrote:
No, not a JW. That was sold in near mint condition. :D

Peter

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:18 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 pm
edcat7 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 pm
petermc61 wrote:
No, not a JW. That was sold in near mint condition. :D

Peter
Thanks Peter, the JW has opened up, mellowed , sounds great and a joy to play.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Dr ToneControl

Post by Dr ToneControl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:44 pm

petermc61 wrote:
any advice on that would be welcome
I just bought a guitar with a French polish finish, and am about to get it renovated

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:06 am

I buy unfinished leather strips from a shoe maker. Works great! These strips are rough on both sides so that they cling better to both the guitar and my leg. They are thicker than a chamois and less expensive. I get mine in black.
I’ve tried all sorts of guitar supports and these leather strips and a dynarette make a winning combination for me.
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 am

I've never felt the need. The guitar rest I use (a De Oro - thank again Peter!!) has a strip of leather that sits on the leg, rough side down. It feels very secure to me.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:45 am

Dr ToneControl wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:44 pm
petermc61 wrote:
any advice on that would be welcome
I just bought a guitar with a French polish finish, and am about to get it renovated
My understanding is that it takes some months for a French polish to cure and harden. SBM recommends against suction cups on guitar supports if a guitar has a fresh French polish. (My support uses suction cups with absolutely no issues for my well cured guitars.)

richtm

Post by richtm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 am

I just order sume rubber grips as shown on top. I know the problem of a sliding guitar. I will see if I overcome it. Thanks for the suggestion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 am

I went through this and tried everything. If I need it, I use a Chamois on my leg.

However, what I found was that it was mainly my fault, I was pressing too hard with my right arm and tilting the guitar myself. Once I realized that, and lightened up, the guitar stays put much better.

I do know that Douglas Neidt actually applies suede strips to his guitar using double-backed-carpet tape! I haven't worked up the courage for that yet.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”