Focal Dystonia and retraining with the Paraskevas method

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Patona

Focal Dystonia and retraining with the Paraskevas method

Post by Patona » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:16 am

I have been suffering from focal dystonia for over 2 years and have used or still use many therapies. I stopped Botox after several attempts, because the hand was very weak, but the effects did not subside.

At the moment I am working intensively on the retuning method of Dr. Candia and the Institut de Art in Madrid. Recently, I started hypnosis therapy, which brings a strong inner peace and relaxation, with which I feel very well and gain strength again.

Some time ago, I`ve got the video of Dr. Apostolos Paraskeva seen on Youtube where he describes his retraining method. In this forum, I found only a very small hint. Have other guitarists also worked with this method and with what success? I would be very happy if I could get experience reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_NhLh ... hQ&index=1
"Don’t try to calm the ocean. Learn to swim between the waves."

Boguslav Teryks Doubletop. spruce-cedar
Hanika 1A/PF, spruce
Ramirez 1a, 1972, cedar

John Jay

Re: Focal Dystonia and retraining with the Paraskevas method

Post by John Jay » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm

The video provides far too little information about precisely what retraining he did, especially given that it supposedly required 7,000 (!) hours. Have you read his article, which he references in the video? I see that it is available on Amazon. There are only a few reviews, but most of them also say that it provides little specific information/guidance.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:42 pm

John Jay wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm
The video provides far too little information about precisely what retraining he did, especially given that it supposedly required 7,000 (!) hours. Have you read his article, which he references in the video? I see that it is available on Amazon. There are only a few reviews, but most of them also say that it provides little specific information/guidance.
This and more are all red flags. I watched the video and read some of his comments. I would say it is unlikely there is more information than already available. Basically, he was playing with excessive tension, possibly with a weird hand posture, got into trouble (was it focal dystonia - who knows), then switched to a more ergonomic posture as well as worked on removing unnecessary tension, and his problem apparently went away. So, from this personal experience, he decided that (1) correlation in this uncontrolled n=1 experiment was actually causation, and (2) he had the cure for focal dystonia and he is going to teach all the one true way (tm) to play guitar. I don't see anything else but sales tactics beyond that. Just my opinion, of course.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Patona

Post by Patona » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank`s for the comments. For me it is also to less information in the video and he don`t play what he say. Today arrived me the book from him. I found no new information about his technique. The only thing he discribes very detailed was about to relax 100% at the exercises. But that was not absolutely new for me.

Hanika 1A/PF, spruce
Ramirez 1a, 1972, cedar

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:13 am

I have read everything he's written and find nothing useful, but you're going to find a lot of snake oil salesman trying to make money of this horrible condition -- watch out for that. Read the comment section in the video you posted, he contradicts himself. He talks about playing only from the large knuckle joint, but you can see in the video that's not how he really plays. Also, have you seen him play? He's an okay player, but both his right and left hand have technical problems. If I'm going to follow the advice of a player I want to know two things
1. they can play well
2. their advice matches what they actually do.

He fails both of these imo.

An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 am

I just realized that I've got it too...focal dystonia...in my right hand.
It developed last year.. I could not believe myself that it happening, but it did.
my right hand worked great on guitar for me, for more than 50 years ..
it still works, but progressively worse every month.
in this video she described my exact condition... 100%...

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 am
I just realized that I've got it too...focal dystonia...in my right hand.
It developed last year.. I could not believe myself that it happening, but it did.
my right hand worked great on guitar for me, for more than 50 years ..
it still works, but progressively worse every month.
in this video she described my exact condition... 100%...
:cry:
I am so sorry to hear that, Andrei.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Patona

Post by Patona » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 pm

@AndreiKrylov

Hello Andrei,

start counteraction as soon as possible. There are a lot of useful therapies. I think it makes sense to attack the focal dystonia from several sides.
I'm not quite healed yet, but slowly it's up to me. The following therapies come to me spontaneously:

- Alexander Technique
- Botox
- SMR to Candia and Institut de Art (helps me a lot)
- Dr. Farias
- Hypnosis (helps me a lot)

And more. What is good for one musician does not have to help another. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
If you have the opportunity to visit a music ambulance, that would be good. With a focal dystonia, is that what you mean to see and feel sometimes wrong. Let's make a reasonable diagnosis.

Hanika 1A/PF, spruce
Ramirez 1a, 1972, cedar

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”