Classical Guitar Tremolo Pieces: A Reference Guide

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Rasputin

Re: Classical Guitar Tremolo Pieces: A Reference Guide

Post by Rasputin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:56 am

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:21 pm
...I am also now suspicions of the Koshkin entry - if 80 at 4 per click is the correct tempo, that would not really be a functional tremolo effect musically even if the pattern may be the same mechanically.
I found a couple of performances on YT and made the first one 172 and the second 157, just on the basis of the first few bars of tremolo.

I follow your logic on the Llobet variations.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 am

Paul Janssen wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:10 am
Well done on your initiative in compiling this list.
I think you may not have fully understood the comment above from Stephen Kenyon:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 pm
Very interesting, and loads of work involved! ... you missed off my three pieces …
Stephen has written several tremolo guitar solo pieces. Two that I know of are "LarkSong" and "Canzonetta" both published by Jacaranda music.
Thanks once again Paul :D

Also, Maumbury Rings, is published by Tuscany Publications.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:56 am
guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:21 pm
...I am also now suspicions of the Koshkin entry - if 80 at 4 per click is the correct tempo, that would not really be a functional tremolo effect musically even if the pattern may be the same mechanically.
I found a couple of performances on YT and made the first one 172 and the second 157, just on the basis of the first few bars of tremolo.
Ah, OK, I am pretty sure I know what happened. I was probably listening at half speed to get a more accurate reading and forgot to multiply by two when writing down my result :-) Thanks, will correct it to 160.
Last edited by guitarrista on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 am
Paul Janssen wrote:
Stephen has written several tremolo guitar solo pieces. Two that I know of are "LarkSong" and "Canzonetta" both published by Jacaranda music.
Thanks, Stephen. I was aware of all of them. My impression, seemingly supported by your own notes about them (e.g. see the notes here), was that they are more toward the study-type, easier tremolo pieces intended for those perhaps wading into tremolo waters for the first time, so I did not include them as per the criteria I described at the top of the list.

Perhaps one of the things coming out of this discussion is that another list specifically about study pieces has to be put together, to aid tremolo beginners. There are many other pieces that could go onto it.
Konstantin
--

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:23 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Paul Janssen wrote:
Thanks, Stephen. I was aware of all of them. My impression, seemingly supported by your own notes about them (e.g. see the notes here), was that they are more toward the study-type, easier tremolo pieces intended for those perhaps wading into tremolo waters for the first time, so I did not include them as per the criteria I described at the top of the list.

Perhaps one of the things coming out of this discussion is that another list specifically about study pieces has to be put together, to aid tremolo beginners. There are many other pieces that could go onto it.
Well it's your list, but Larksong is not intended to be a piece for tremolo beginners only, of course it's for others to determine whether it succeeds artistically; but certainly the other two are not 'just studies' though still aiming to be easier than Recuerdos in having an easier time for the fretboard hand. In fact in someways Maumbury Rings is harder than Rdl'A because the right hand is less regular in action.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:23 pm
guitarrista wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:

Well it's your list, but Larksong is not intended to be a piece for tremolo beginners only, of course it's for others to determine whether it succeeds artistically; but certainly the other two are not 'just studies' though still aiming to be easier than Recuerdos in having an easier time for the fretboard hand. In fact in someways Maumbury Rings is harder than Rdl'A because the right hand is less regular in action.
OK, would you be able to supply all the info I included for the other pieces (measures, key, bpm etc.) to me (PM or the email address listed on the list) I will then add them to the second edition. Thank you.
Konstantin
--

Juergen Schenk
Teacher

Post by Juergen Schenk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 am

Hello,
here are some proposals for the list:

Luigi Mozzani: "Prière" and "Feste Lariane" (second variation), both published in : Luigi Mozzani, "Opere per Chitarra", Edition Berben
Heinrich Albert: "Altspanisches Lied" (second variation); "Nocturno", "Italienisches Lied", published in : Heinrich Albert, "Musik für konzertierende Gitarre", Zimmermann, Frankfurt; "Mondnacht/Moonlit Night" in "Etüdenwerk für Gitarre, Heft 6", also published by Zimmermann, Frankfurt.

Giulio Tampalini made a great recording of Mozzani's works
The pieces of Heinrich Albert are recorded by Andreas Stevens on Aurea Vox :casque:
Put me back on my bike - Tom Simpson

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Useful piece of work!

After all your hard work might I be so bold as to ask you to provide an extra column with approximate difficulty level? This would help students wishing to start learning tremolo & wanting something easier than Recuerdos de la Alhambra!

For example, if you know the British Associated Board or Trinity College grade system you could describe a piece of medium difficulty as grade 4-5, a pre- conservatoire pieces as grade 8+.

Concert pieces could be described as grade 9 or "concert" or "pro" or whatever you like.

My description of RDLA might be grade 8+ for instance.

Or make up your own system eg L1 = First tremolo studies, L2 = Intermediate tremolo pieces, L3 Difficult / concert pieces.

I can grade those I know - but there are plenty I haven't tried or even heard on your list.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks so much for the work in putting this together. I think it will be a great resource to many going forward. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Conall wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 pm
Useful piece of work!

After all your hard work might I be so bold as to ask you to provide an extra column with approximate difficulty level? This would help students wishing to start learning tremolo & wanting something easier than Recuerdos de la Alhambra!
Wow, suddenly lots of activity here.

I can do you one better - I published the same list on the foroflamenco site, except that, because that site allows youtube links, my list there has an extra column. In it you will find direct links to videos performances of 80 out of the 106 compositions on the list. So you can decide for yourself what seems like a nice challenge for whatever level you are at.

That post is here.

Conall wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 pm
Or make up your own system eg L1 = First tremolo studies, L2 = Intermediate tremolo pieces, L3 Difficult / concert pieces.
As I stated at the top of the list, it is not meant to cover beginner pieces, so L1 pieces are definitely out of the question:

"I have not included what I considered study-type or more elementary pieces as well as pieces with too brief or trivial tremolo parts , though I have listed a few historically-well-known or cited-as-containing-tremolo pieces with brief tremolo parts."
Last edited by guitarrista on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Konstantin
--

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Juergen Schenk wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 am
Hello,
here are some proposals for the list:

Luigi Mozzani: "Prière" and "Feste Lariane" (second variation), both published in : Luigi Mozzani, "Opere per Chitarra", Edition Berben
Hi Juergen,

These Mozzani pieces are already on the list - as numbers 56 and 57.

Juergen Schenk wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 am
Heinrich Albert: "Altspanisches Lied" (second variation); "Nocturno", "Italienisches Lied", published in : Heinrich Albert, "Musik für konzertierende Gitarre", Zimmermann, Frankfurt; "Mondnacht/Moonlit Night" in "Etüdenwerk für Gitarre, Heft 6", also published by Zimmermann, Frankfurt.

The pieces of Heinrich Albert are recorded by Andreas Stevens on Aurea Vox :casque:
You know, I was aware of these and tried very hard to find the Heinrich Albert pieces (sheet music), but had no luck. If you have any leads (pm if needed) to where I can get them from, I'd really appreciate it. Same for Mondnacht; no luck.
Konstantin
--

Juergen Schenk
Teacher

Post by Juergen Schenk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi Guitarrista,
These Mozzani pieces are already on the list - as numbers 56 and 57
Sorry , forgot my glasses :-|

I have sent you a PM with a link to the music from Heinrich Albert.

Best Regards
Juergen
Put me back on my bike - Tom Simpson

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:05 am

Thanks for your work.

If I might be so bold, here are some suggestions for the list: "Ilmenspitz" by Colin Edward Lang (productionsdoz), "Amor Secreto" by Jaime Romero (pdf - free download from his website www.latinguitarscores.com), "Northern Lights" by Jan Depreter (Ricordi). "Cafe no. 5, Nostalgia" by Vojislav Ivanovic (as played by Denis Azabagic on yt: I don't know the publisher).

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Flawiler63. I'll check them out - thank you.
Konstantin
--

Ahmed Hamza

Post by Ahmed Hamza » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Is there pieces for beginners
thank you very much
Regards
Ahmed

Return to “Reference Library”