When you have 2 or more guitars, how to organize

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Annalu Braga

When you have 2 or more guitars, how to organize

Post by Annalu Braga » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Let´s say you have 2 or more guitars and you want to mantain your instruments on use.
How do you organize it?

richtm

Re: When you have 2 or more guitars, how to organize

Post by richtm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi Annalu,

depends on how you use the guitars, and of what wood they are. In my opinion there is a difference in top wood (1) spruce, (2) cedar, (3) double top

(1) In my ears a spruce top guitar need to be played to enroll its full capabilities.
(2) With cedar it's in my ears not that clear, that they need to be used or played in in advance of use.
(3) double top does not need to be played in. This guitar works right at use (in my ear and opinion).

Now there is an other aspect of using more than one guitar: which music does the guitar fit best?

My main instruments are the Especial guitars, but I use them not every day. I have a kind of a training guitar from Reiner Hein (lattice/cedar top), that I use every day. For the romantic repertoir I love a Florian Brandstätter (Bouchet bracing, spruce top, maple back and sides), so to maintain the guitars depend a lot on what I am playing at the moment, and for whom. And of corse if I pick the spruce top up again I am expecting the full quality not before the 2nd day of playing. In this case I calculate at least one day of playing the guitar without audience...

Hope I could transport my thinking behind it a little bit. Greetings to Rio :bye:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

bear

Post by bear » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 pm

I used to play a different guitar each day. After I got my 10 string I ignored my others for quite some time. My wife bought an electric hollow body jazz guitar for me and I decides that I'd play it at least once per week so, Tuesday became electric guitar day. This prompted me to set aside Saturday for my 6 strings. Every Saturday, I play a different 6.
It has turned out to be a nice break from the 10 but it makes me appreciate the sound of the 10 even more.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

DeeKay

Post by DeeKay » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:23 pm

I put them into different tunings, so I can work on and play several pieces without the need to re-tune all the time.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 pm

I have one English made guitar and one south American. I tend to play spanish style music on the SA one and european music excluding spanish on the english one but alot depends on the sound I want for a particular piece. I play the the SA at the local jam and open mic sessions because it's the least precious to me ( not money wise but it's background).

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 pm

It would be easy to simply cycle through my guitars, but as a computer geek (half a century of programming will do that to you) I use a weighted random algorithm to choose which guitar I will use for practice each day.
As a result, I may play the same guitar several days in succession, and I never know beforehand which one I will be playing, but over the long term each guitar gets played regularly.
I quite like the element of surprise!

Annalu Braga

Post by Annalu Braga » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm

richtm wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:08 pm
Hi Annalu,

depends on how you use the guitars, and of what wood they are. In my opinion there is a difference in top wood (1) spruce, (2) cedar, (3) double top

(1) In my ears a spruce top guitar need to be played to enroll its full capabilities.
(2) With cedar it's in my ears not that clear, that they need to be used or played in in advance of use.
(3) double top does not need to be played in. This guitar works right at use (in my ear and opinion).

Now there is an other aspect of using more than one guitar: which music does the guitar fit best?

My main instruments are the Especial guitars, but I use them not every day. I have a kind of a training guitar from Reiner Hein (lattice/cedar top), that I use every day. For the romantic repertoir I love a Florian Brandstätter (Bouchet bracing, spruce top, maple back and sides), so to maintain the guitars depend a lot on what I am playing at the moment, and for whom. And of corse if I pick the spruce top up again I am expecting the full quality not before the 2nd day of playing. In this case I calculate at least one day of playing the guitar without audience...

Hope I could transport my thinking behind it a little bit. Greetings to Rio :bye:
Well, I don´t know, help me:
1) cedar 40 years, 660 mm (I left about 10 years without playing, and think it is still not developed, for my ears)
2) spruce 10 years, 645 mm (very good sound, easy to play)

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 pm

Annalu Braga wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm
1) cedar 40 years, 660 mm (I left about 10 years without playing, and think it is still not developed, for my ears)
I don't fully understand your question, do you mean "how to organize in order to maintain your guitars, when you have more than two?"

If so, as long as you don't neglect playing them for a long time, or, prioritize which one needs your least attention to play it once a week, then it would work as a minimum, IMO.

As for my purpose, I usually want to play the same pieces alternately one after the other, since my objective is to listen to the difference(s) in sound from each guitar, even to express it differently to appreciate their differences. I found that it takes some time to get used to and appreciate a guitar, so the more time you spend on it, the better. Btw, how can you expect it to "develop" by neglecting it? :)

In other words, perhaps you should spend more time on your cedar to appreciate it? :wink: 10-year drought is too much a punishment, unless you want to "unload" it soon?

Annalu Braga

Post by Annalu Braga » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:37 am

dta721 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 pm
Annalu Braga wrote:
I don't fully understand your question, do you mean "how to organize in order to maintain your guitars, when you have more than two?"

If so, as long as you don't neglect playing them for a long time, or, prioritize which one needs your least attention to play it once a week, then it would work as a minimum, IMO.

As for my purpose, I usually want to play the same pieces alternately one after the other, since my objective is to listen to the difference(s) in sound from each guitar, even to express it differently to appreciate their differences. I found that it takes some time to get used to and appreciate a guitar, so the more time you spend on it, the better. Btw, how can you expect it to "develop" by neglecting it? :)

In other words, perhaps you should spend more time on your cedar to appreciate it? :wink: 10-year drought is too much a punishment, unless you want to "unload" it soon?
How to organize means how to mantain increasing their developement or not to decrease when you have 2 guitars. My cedar when I took off the ase was nearly dead in terms of sound. Now, I think is rebirth.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Annalu Braga wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:37 am
dta721 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 pm
Annalu Braga wrote:

How to organize means how to mantain increasing their developement or not to decrease when you have 2 guitars. My cedar when I took off the ase was nearly dead in terms of sound. Now, I think is rebirth.
Well then, I misunderstood when you wrote as above "cedar 40 years, 660 mm (I left about 10 years without playing, and think it is still not developed, for my ears)"!

Now it's a rebirth, congrats!

gicouto

Post by gicouto » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:46 am

Hi Annalu,

Two or more guitars are hard to manage in all the ways. I don't know if it occurs with you, but I ever have a prefered one. It's is almost all times hard to try other. I have a little collection with 13 guitars. What I do is to inspect all of them at least 2 times a week, looking for cracks because the climate in my city is too dry, and I play at least 20 minutes in each guitar. During all the other day I change between 2 unique guitars monthly. I don't believe at all that guitars change a lot if they are played. It is true, some Stradivari, like the Messiah in the Oxford Museum, could never be good, since it is was not played for a long time. Some Hausers I guitars, that are found sometimes almost untouchable sounds great despite this theory.
Geraldo Couto

Annalu Braga

Post by Annalu Braga » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 am

gicouto wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:46 am
Hi Annalu,

Two or more guitars are hard to manage in all the ways. I don't know if it occurs with you, but I ever have a prefered one. It's is almost all times hard to try other. I have a little collection with 13 guitars. What I do is to inspect all of them at least 2 times a week, looking for cracks because the climate in my city is too dry, and I play at least 20 minutes in each guitar. During all the other day I change between 2 unique guitars monthly. I don't believe at all that guitars change a lot if they are played. It is true, some Stradivari, like the Messiah in the Oxford Museum, could never be good, since it is was not played for a long time. Some Hausers I guitars, that are found sometimes almost untouchable sounds great despite this theory.
Hi Geraldo,
So many guitars is like a dream no easy to live in real. hahaha, The only thing is that I really think guitars dead when not used based on our friend luthier say and my Suguiyama for 10 years in the case.

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am

DeeKay wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:23 pm
I put them into different tunings, so I can work on and play several pieces without the need to re-tune all the time.
I do the same.
Lorette

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:38 pm

I don't know... I see it as a tools for the job sort of thing. I have two basically identical strats that I use for gigging but they never even come out of the cases at home; it's just so much easier to use the guitar that's already out and ready to play to practice and learn songs on. I also have two good steel string acoustics, and I use them for different tunings. The only reason I can see to own two more or less identical guitars is for different tunings, so I just don't see that it would ever be much of an issue. I don't even own ONE classical guitar (I'm totally using my boyfriend's Yamaha!) but if I had multiples I have to think knowing myself as I do I'd basically use my favorite all of the time and the other one would gather dust, or maybe get used occasionally for an esoteric tuning.

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Boy, what a caveman I must be.

I'll change the strings on one and put it in its case. Then I play the other one until it's strings need changing. I'll then change that guitar's strings and put it back in its case. Then get out the other guitar with the settled in but new strings, and play that until new strings are needed.

Both guitars get used about the same amount and I don't have that constantly going out of tune problem newly installed strings have.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”