Interview: Richard Durrant and Injuries

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
PhD-Michael

Interview: Richard Durrant and Injuries

Post by PhD-Michael » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:30 pm

I am currently undertaking a PhD at Kent University investigating the ergonomics and physiology of playing. Part of my research is about the causes of injuries in those people that spend a lot of time playing. These injuries are way more common than people realise (60% of professional classical guitarists and 80% of flamenco guitarists in Andalusia suffer from long-term pain from playing) and I feel things need to change. To this end I'll be sharing interviews I've conducted (and will be conducting in the future) with professionals, including John Mills and Gerald Garcia, about their problems. I hope you find them useful and interesting!

ronjazz

Re: Interview: Richard Durrant and Injuries

Post by ronjazz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Great start, a curious iconoclast! excellent work.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:41 pm

I highly recommend anyone suffering from chronic pain to look into and try applying some massage therapy techniques, doing so changed my life.

Myofascial release, trigger point therapy, and neuro-muscular reset therapy are all awesome.

... no one ever listens though :roll:
Cordoba CP110

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 pm

Hello Michael,

I am so pleased that you are doing these interviews. I injured myself to the point of requiring surgery due to improper posture and practicing too many hours when I first started. I did not even know that one could injure themselves playing the guitar until it actually happened. Unfortunately, my teacher, who had never experienced discomfort, made slight of it and kept assuring me that the pain would pass once my muscles became accustomed. They never did.

For those of us who are constantly looking for advice in these matters, could your future interviews include specific and demonstrated recommendations on how to deal with ergonomic issues. I, for one, would be very grateful.

Keep up the good work,

Otirroz

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi Michael,
You would do well to interview Serape Bastipe Gray, MD and faculty member at Peabody Conservatory. She and her team (in my opinion) are at the cutting edge of diagnosis and treatment for focal dystonia.
Keep us informed about your research.
Best,
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:05 am

This was interesting and thought-provoking. I liked your line of questioning and your persistence in getting clear answers. Durrant comes across as likeable and artfully diplomatic in the vid. I hope you continue posting interviews.

PhD-Michael

Post by PhD-Michael » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:41 pm
I highly recommend anyone suffering from chronic pain to look into and try applying some massage therapy techniques, doing so changed my life.
I know what it's like to be ignored! However, great as those therapies are, they're treating the symptom not the cause. It's all for nought if you don't sort out your posture. Being fit and healthy also helps.
otirroz wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 pm
Hello Michael,
I am so pleased that you are doing these interviews. I injured myself to the point of requiring surgery due to improper posture and practicing too many hours when I first started. I did not even know that one could injure themselves playing the guitar until it actually happened. Unfortunately, my teacher, who had never experienced discomfort, made slight of it and kept assuring me that the pain would pass once my muscles became accustomed. They never did.
For those of us who are constantly looking for advice in these matters, could your future interviews include specific and demonstrated recommendations on how to deal with ergonomic issues. I, for one, would be very grateful.
Keep up the good work,
Otirroz
GRRRRRR! That's the thing that makes me so mad! The fact that most instrument teachers (99+%) don't have an effing clue! The only discomfort we should have to get used to is fingertip pain when we first start.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure the best people to advise us on posture are the guitarists I'm interviewing! But I plan on interviewing some health practitioners later. Maybe I'll have to do my own video on posture.
Jack Douglas wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 pm
Hi Michael,
You would do well to interview Serape Bastipe Gray, MD and faculty member at Peabody Conservatory. She and her team (in my opinion) are at the cutting edge of diagnosis and treatment for focal dystonia.
Keep us informed about your research.
Best,
Jack
Thank you for the suggestion! She seems like an interesting person to talk to. I'll add her to the list.
Lawler wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:05 am
This was interesting and thought-provoking. I liked your line of questioning and your persistence in getting clear answers. Durrant comes across as likeable and artfully diplomatic in the vid. I hope you continue posting interviews.
Thank you! Durrant is a great guy and an awesome player.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm

PhD-Michael wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:23 pm
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:41 pm
I know what it's like to be ignored! However, great as those therapies are, they're treating the symptom not the cause. It's all for nought if you don't sort out your posture. Being fit and healthy also helps.
:merci:
I appreciate you hearing me out.. I absolutely agree with you on correct posture being key and poor posture causing many problems. It's a very, very important issue. Looking at my posture was an important part of rehabilitating my body. Not being able to "stand up straight" most of my life lead me to eventually look into my soft tissues.

From my point of view, if your soft tissues are unhappy (knots, fascial adhesions, taut bands, trigger points) it will cause widespread local and referred pain and these knots will also pull your body and joints out of alignment, causing joint pain (and I suspect degeneration) and making proper posture very uncomfortable and impossible for any length of time.

Speaking 100% from personal experience here.. for me massage therapy lead me to being fit and healthy which lead to proper posture so I try my best to clue other people in..

If someone isn't already suffering from chronic pain issues they are lucky and I guess all they really do need to worry about is posture so that they do not develop issues, but I worry about everyone else who is already stuck in a vicious cycle of pain like I used to be. From my point of view, these people will never attain proper posture without addressing underlying issues in the soft tissues.

Mr. Durrant is actually a prime example.. He mentioned having some work done on his hand in the interview :)
Cordoba CP110

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:18 am

Speaking of playing posture..

It's imagine it is a big issue for the self-taught.
Cordoba CP110

PhD-Michael

Post by PhD-Michael » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:28 am

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm
I totally agree.
Wow, Bream's fourth finger technique is very poor!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”