Musescore voices question

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
crazyrach97

Re: Musescore voices question

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:13 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:03 pm
crazyrach97 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:44 pm
Maybe one of these days if i get serious about this sort of thing i'll pick up Finale or Sibelius.
Which won't handle more than four voices per stave - as I said in my post above. Dorico, on the other hand, will.
Holy hell... just checked it out. For that price tag it better afford an unlimited number of voices per stave and bring me breakfast in bed while it's at it!

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:15 pm

cadiz wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm
Well, cross-staff notation is another feature, and again it's inappropriate to talk about a "5th voice".

To solve the confusion (I presume), it's necessary that @Sean Eric Howard provides details on what he wants to achieve exactly (an attach image would help)
Not sure why any guitar player would be confused here. Example? Sure. How about the very first chord in Sor’s Op. 4? There are five notes there.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:17 pm

cadiz wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm
Well, cross-staff notation is another feature, and again it's inappropriate to talk about a "5th voice".

To solve the confusion (I presume), it's necessary that @Sean Eric Howard provides details on what he wants to achieve exactly (an attach image would help)
And what the hell is your nonsense about calling a fifth voice inappropriate? Oh please tell me what I should call it . . .
Last edited by Sean Eric Howard on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Dirck Nagy, thank you for your advice. I’ll have to inestigate what you said about using a second staff and relocate the voice.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm

If I really ever had a need for a fifth voice (must be incredibly rare), I would add another stave.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm
If I really ever had a need for a fifth voice (must be incredibly rare), I would add another stave.
So you're telling me that if you made your own transcription of Isaac Albeniz's Granada, you'd use a second staff for the very first chord of the piece? Seriously?

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:35 pm

Please consider that simultaneous notes don't necessarily mean different voices.
Voices are needed when your have different rhythmic patterns in one system.
Playing five or more different rhythmic patterns in one measure is (almost ?) impossible for a guitar and is
possibly so rare elsewhere (a grand staff will give you eight voices, rather difficult for most piano players :lol: )
that the designers of the music software gave us only four voices per system.
Of course you can have a chord with six notes (or more) - but this is only one voice, if the single notes of the chord have the same duration.

Bernhard
Last edited by Bernhard Heimann on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:45 pm
In conclusion, I believe that sometimes it is better to just answer a question, instead of positing unasked scenarios. This seems to me more like an attempt to make excuses for a deficiency of the product.
An attempt to make excuses for a deficiency of the product?

I do not think so, sincerely.
I notice that there is no "official" feature request for this in MuseScore currently. I did a search on the forums, and I see a few messages, exactly three, since 2010. So that the demand is low, very low or nonexistent. I'm not saying it's a good thing. I understand your point of view.

But you really have to put yourself in the shoes of the team of MuseScore's developers (which I am not). The list of various and varied feature requests is incredibly long (myself, for example, I would like it to be possible to enter notes for diatonic instruments, or features like "Half Time" or "Double Time" , currently made with plugins, but not in a satisfactory way, or simply an entry mode with a virtual fretboard, and some others ...)

In front of this long list, the developers establish a priority order, according to what they think it is most useful for the greatest number of users. That's what I believe. Simply. No more no less.

Now, if this feature of five or more voices is really compelling for you, or for others, nothing prevents, on the contrary, someone to fulfill this request. If nobody does, of course, it will not have a chance to be implemented one day.

It can sometimes be, too, that a developer, coming from nowhere (I mean, unknown, or new) is interested in a specific point (it comes to mind the implementation of the playback of trills there is few years ago). But it's very rare.

Then I see (I learn it) that Dorico allows the creation of an unlimited number of voices. Well, again, if it's important to you, go for Dorico. I have no problem with that.

Myself, I sometimes use Guitar Pro 7 for other aspects, and I do not feel absolutely guilty of anything! :mrgreen:

The software that would bring together absolutely all the best of other softwares, and that would have none of their defects or deficiencies does not exist, or not yet. For my part, you've understood I think (!) , all things considered, MuseScore is the software that allows me to accomplish the most things in a beautiful way (for my practice and my needs)

For better make me understand again I hope and to say a new time: none of the feature requests is illegitimate by itself. It's just that some are at the top of the list of priorities, and some in the middle and some at the bottom. :chaud: :(
Last edited by cadiz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:35 pm
Please consider that simultaneous notes don't necessarily mean different voices.
Playing five or more different rhythmic patterns in one measure is almost impossible for a guitar and is
possibly so rare elsewhere (a grand staff will give you eight voices, rather difficult for most piano players :lol: )
Of course you can have a chord with six notes (or more) - but this is only one voice, if the single notes of the chord have the same duration.

Bernhard
Oh, okay. Then tell me how I add one voice with 5 to 6 notes in Musescore.
Last edited by Sean Eric Howard on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:24 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm
So you're telling me that if you made your own transcription of Isaac Albeniz's Granada, you'd use a second staff for the very first chord of the piece? Seriously?
A major misunderstanding of the concept of voices, I think.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:41 pm

Really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Musescore uses the term "voices", when one inputs notes, correct? Perhaps the misunderstanding is on your part. When I use the term 'voice,' I'm using it in the context of Musescore, not as a music term. Or am I incorrectly remembering Musescore's terminology?

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm

I would imagine "voices" is the same in all music programs - and you can have as many notes as you want stacked up in one voice. It would be silly if Musescore used the term in a different way.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:50 pm

Voices_Diagram_en (1).jpg
Here one sees that Musescore employs the terms "Voice 1' and 'Voice 2'. To build a four-note chord, one would employ Voice 1, Voice 2, Voice 3, and Voice 4 (unless someone here knows a completely different way of building a chord in Musescore - Lord knows I'm no expert on it here and, thus, my original question). When I spoke of finding a way to add a fifth and/or sixth voice, I use the word voice as employed by Musescore. Several fine folks here apparently think I'm trying to compose some ungodly fugue with 6 voices. I simply wanted to know if there was a way to add one or two more notes.

By the way, I have two degrees in music and teach music and guitar at Kentucky Wesleyan College. I don't need some homeboy trying to tell me I'm confused by the word voice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:50 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:37 pm
Playing five or more different rhythmic patterns in one measure is almost impossible for a guitar and is

Bernhard

Oh, okay. Then tell me how I add one voice with 5 to 6 notes in Musescore.
Sean, please, as requested before (in first page I think :lol: !), please attach an image to explain/illustrate what you want to reach. It will be the best way for better support.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm

So each voice only allows one note - Musescore is worse than I thought it was!

Return to “Composers' Workshop”