Musescore voices question

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Sean Eric Howard

Re: Musescore voices question

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Voices_Diagram_en (1).jpg
Here is an example. When I input notes in Musescore, I have to do it using the Voices input. But I can only input 4 notes (Musescore apparently only allows 4 'voices'). My question involved the possibility of adding a note (since Musescore calls the inputs Voice 1 through 4, I'm looking at adding a fifth voice. I'm using Musescore's terminology here for inputting a note). How does one go about adding a fifth note? Or is there a way?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm
So each voice only allows one note - Musescore is worse than I thought it was!
Well, how to say... ? I think I prefer to abstain from so much total incomprehension for how MuseScore functions. :kap:
Last edited by cadiz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bert

Post by bert » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:59 pm

chord.jpg
I entered the e twice in the score.
In the first instance I added the other notes (all in voice 1) with <shift>G, <shift>B etc....
In the second instance I added the other notes (again, all voice 1) with <alt>3 (note third above)
You can keep on doing that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bert on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:00 pm

cadiz wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:59 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm
So each voice only allows one note - Musescore is worse than I thought it was!
Well, how to say... ? I think I prefer to abstain from so much total incomprehension. :kap: :kap:
I did not create the incomprehension.

On sibelius, I can have a 3 notes in voice one as a chord, and one note in voice 2 as a bass line. I am sure all programs can achieve this.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:02 pm

bert, thank you. So it is possible. I suppose I need to hire a Musescore tutor now . . .

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:00 pm
On sibelius, I can have a 3 notes in voice one as a chord, and one note in voice 2 as a bass line. I am sure all programs can achieve this.
For sure, MuseScore included... and many other things you ignore manifestly.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Yeah - but in this case I was defending Musescore - I was being sarcastic that it could allegedly not achieve such a basic function.

bert

Post by bert » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:02 pm
bert, thank you. So it is possible. I suppose I need to hire a Musescore tutor now . . .
You're welcome. Voice may be the wrong term here when you're thinking about singing voices. Maybe layer would be a better term in this case, but it is what it is.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:14 pm

bert wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:09 pm
Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:02 pm
You're welcome. Voice may be the wrong term here when you're thinking about singing voices. Maybe layer would be a better term in this case, but it is what it is.
Yes, Voices, for MuseScore, vs. Layers (Finale eg I think) is a common case of confusion.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:57 pm
Here is an example. When I input notes in Musescore, I have to do it using the Voices input. But I can only input 4 notes (Musescore apparently only allows 4 'voices'). My question involved the possibility of adding a note (since Musescore calls the inputs Voice 1 through 4, I'm looking at adding a fifth voice. I'm using Musescore's terminology here for inputting a note). How does one go about adding a fifth note? Or is there a way?
Okay. So you confuses this I think: you believe each guitar string (so, total 6, commonly!) should be equal to one voice. But how can I do eg for a baroque lute, with its 13 rows of strings, or theorbo, 14 strings? 14 voices? No.
I will try to explain better and later about your example (or someone else). There is some possibilities, but nothing special.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:41 pm

"par crazyrach97 » 29 juil. 2018, 18:44
I've been playing around with Musescore and found it to be pretty good, but I've never tried to write anything in five voices, either. Maybe one of these days if i get serious about this sort of thing i'll pick up Finale or Sibelius
."

For the record, as far I know, neither Sibelius or Finale allows five voices (and Guitar Pro, no more)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm still struggling to imagine anything with five voices on one stave - especially for guitar. Can somebody post an example?

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:57 pm

cadiz wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:23 pm
Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Okay. So you confuses this I think: you believe each guitar string (so, total 6, commonly!) should be equal to one voice. But how can I do eg for a baroque lute, with its 13 rows of strings, or theorbo, 14 strings? 14 voices? No.
I will try to explain better and later about your example (or someone else). There is some possibilities, but nothing special.
No Cadiz, I think you are confused. You keep telling me what I think a voice is. That has nothing to do with my question. I only used the term 'voice' because that's the term Musescore employs (see my picture above). I've only been able to use the four voices in Musescore and wanted to know if one could add more.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
I'm still struggling to imagine anything with five voices on one stave - especially for guitar. Can somebody post an example?
And I'm struggling to hold back from calling you a smartass. I believe you understood the gist of my original question from the start but chose to try to school me on what a voice is. Again, I used the term voice because that's what Musescore calls it. I assumed any folks here familiar with Musescore would know what I'm talking about.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
How does one go about adding a fifth note? Or is there a way?
From your attached image in a previous comment.
First, I don't know the source of this image, but considering the direction of stems, all can be input in one voice (ie Voice I, blue color), as single/unique chords (sorry, difficult to explain in a foreign language!) :chaud:
voix.jpg
Better probably to distinguish at least the bass notes (in Voice 2, green color)
voix3.jpg
Or also, with four voices (I set here the bass notes in Voice 4, red color, a good habit to take when your score needs at least three "polyphonic" voices ; and for completion, Voice 2, green color, and Voice 3, orange color)
If needed, toggle the stems up or down of notes in one voice by selecting one note (of this voice or another) and pressing "X" shortcut.
voix2.jpg
But we are not here in the case of a polyphonic language. So, no really a compelling need of one single displaying.
Last edited by cadiz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”