Hello from the Mecca of the Russian Seven-String Guitar (Iowa City)

Oleg Timofeyev

Hello from the Mecca of the Russian Seven-String Guitar (Iowa City)

Post by Oleg Timofeyev » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am

Dear All,

I've spent the last 25 years reviving the Russian seven-string guitar. Yes, this glorious instrument has been abandoned in the country of its origin, and the festival that I run in Iowa is the only annual event solely dedicated to it:

I can go at any length about this topic, so how about I will respond to any inquiries, feel free to ask.

Most sincerely,
Oleg Timofeyev

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Mecca of the Russian Seven-String Guitar (Iowa City)

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Oleg,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Oleg Timofeyev

Re: Hello from the Mecca of the Russian Seven-String Guitar (Iowa City)

Post by Oleg Timofeyev » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi Geoff et al.,

thank you for your hospitality. I usually don't take a very active position in various forums, but by all means, please refer to me all those who get interested in the Russian guitar repertoire.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Oleg Timofeyev wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am

I can go at any length about this topic, so how about I will respond to any inquiries, feel free to ask.

Most sincerely,
Oleg Timofeyev
Could you recommend some basic scale studies and a few easier musical pieces.

Thank you very much,
Marshall

Oleg Timofeyev

Post by Oleg Timofeyev » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi Marshall,
before answering your question, can I ask in turn: do you have a seven-string guitar tuned DGBdgbd'? What kind of repertoire inspires you, the 19th-century music (Sychra, Vysotsky, etc):

or more like Sergei Orekhov (2nd half of the 20th century):

Depending on your preference, I can recommend fragments from several published methods -– although I can't say that there is an adequate method around.

Thanks,
OT

Thank you very much,
Marshall
[/quote]

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 pm

hi Oleg

Were you the one who sponsored Marten Falk's concert last month?

I wish i had been able to go! Iowa city is 4 hours away; couldn't quite make the trip that day.

cheers!
dirck

Oleg Timofeyev

Post by Oleg Timofeyev » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Yes, Mårten was a featured artist of IARGUS 2018. He will be back in 2019, since our topic for the festival is going to be SCANDINAVIA. There is going to be a lot of interesting things, come for the whole event, May 15–19.

OT

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 pm
hi Oleg

Were you the one who sponsored Marten Falk's concert last month?

I wish i had been able to go! Iowa city is 4 hours away; couldn't quite make the trip that day.

cheers!
dirck

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Oleg Timofeyev wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:47 pm
Hi Marshall,
before answering your question, can I ask in turn: do you have a seven-string guitar tuned DGBdgbd'? What kind of repertoire inspires you, the 19th-century music (Sychra, Vysotsky, etc
I am in the process of making a 7 string guitar (hope to finish in a month or so). I had never heard of this repertoire until about a year ago and was captivated by what I heard on the internet, your own website included. I began playing classical guitar and immersed myself in this genre of music 50 years ago. And yet this music remained hidden.

Of the two pieces the folk song played by Maxime Lysof would be more to my temperament (if not my abilities).

"Some imaginative stimulus, some not impossible ideal such as may shape vague hope and transform it into effective desire..."

Thanks so much for your dedication and help.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you so much for your messaging me the beginning studies by Sychra. Those are exactly what I was looking for.

I didn't want to leave you with the impression that I didn't absolutely love the music of Sergei Orekhov, though.

I just listened to his playing Romans from 'The Snow Storm'' on u-tube. The accompanist playing the 6 string guitar so seemlessly blended with him that they become one voice.

Thanks again,
Marshall

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 am

Oleg Timofeyev wrote:
Hello Oleg,

I am about to finish building a Russian 7 string guitar. (In fact, the 7-stringer was the reason I got into lutherie).

A few questions, if you don't mind.

1) What strings would you put on the Russian 7 stringer (nylon)?
As far as I know, most 7 string sets are aimed at the classical EBGDAEC tuning or similar.

I currently intend to go with Petrachkov's suggestion of using a classical 6 string set with 2 lower tension strings, as I cannot find a "Russian" set for sale, so

1: 1 - Nomal tension
2: 2 - Normal
3: 3 - Normal
4: 4 - Normal
5: 5 - Low
6: 6 - Low
7: 6 - Normal

Another question: When referring to the "Russian guitar" one may be referring to:
1) The music side of the instrument, i.e. tuning, style, repertoire. it is possible to play "Russian" guitar on a classical guitar with an extra string.

2) The actual instrument that has been developed from the Scherzer guitar: Viennese shape, Z-bracing, bolt-on neck overhanging the soundboard.
Typical "crunch" on the trebles and perhaps a slight shift of balance from the bass to the trebles when compared to the Spanish guitar.

If you were only allowed one guitar, would you play "Russian guitar" music on a Scherzer, or would you rather have a "classical" with 7 strings tuned to EBGDAE?

Thank you.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 am

Hi Old Friend,

I still cherish meeting you and your family in Edinburgh, some five years or so ago, and of course we also met in Germany some 15 or so years ago. You have always been Mr Russian Guitar to me, and I have learned so much from you, despite never having played more than 30 seconds or so on your own guitar. Again, memories to be cherished.

I've often thought about purchasing a Russian 7-string, but just never found the time away from other projects. But there is still time ;-)

Maybe if you published a Method in English I would be tempted...

Meanwhile, I am enjoying the 7-CD box set by yourself and the great John Schneiderman. Wonderful stuff!

John Kemp

Re: Strings and tensions for the Russian Seven-String Guitar

Post by John Kemp » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:17 pm

mChavez wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 am
Oleg Timofeyev wrote:
I currently intend to go with Petrachkov's suggestion of using a classical 6 string set with 2 lower tension strings, as I cannot find a "Russian" set for sale, so

1: 1 - Nomal tension
2: 2 - Normal
3: 3 - Normal
4: 4 - Normal
5: 5 - Low
6: 6 - Low
7: 6 - Normal

Thank you.
I do not follow the logic of Petrachkov's suggestion. The Russian guitar is normally built to the same scale length (650mm) as the western classical instrument, and strings 2,3 and 4 match the tuning of the western instrument and could and should, in my view, therefore indeed be served with normal tension D,G and B strings.

One can use a high E string as the top D string on the Russian guitar, it needs to be tuned DOWN a tone, i.e. slackened. One needs to compensate for this by using a HIGH tension top E string.

For the fifth string, one can use an A string, tuned UP (increased tension) to B. In this case one needs to compensate for this increased tension by using a LOW tension A string. In this case I agree with Petrachkov's suggestion.

String No. 6 can also be an A string, but in this case, tuning down to G reduces the tension and suggests that one uses a HIGH tension A string for this purpose.

String No. 7 on similar rationalisation should be a HIGH tension low E.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Aquila Corde sell a Russian 7-string set.

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Oleg Timofeyev wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:47 pm
Hi Marshall,
before answering your question, can I ask in turn: do you have a seven-string guitar tuned DGBdgbd'? What kind of repertoire inspires you, the 19th-century music (Sychra, Vysotsky, etc):

or more like Sergei Orekhov (2nd half of the 20th century):

Depending on your preference, I can recommend fragments from several published methods -– although I can't say that there is an adequate method around.

Thanks,
OT

Thank you very much,
Marshall
[/quote]

Wow, fabulous virtuosity from Sergei Orekhov!
Were any of his pieces / arrangements ever transcribed / sold as sheet music? - not that there's much hope of matching his speed!

John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:32 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm
Aquila Corde sell a Russian 7-string set.
Interestingly, I have just had a message from Marten Falk (who is coming to my local Guitar Society - Canterbury UK - on June 3rd 2019 to play a program of Russian music on the 7-string guitar) that it was he who suggested to Aquila that they make strings for the instrument! An easy way to get a list of stockists of this rare product is to google the manufacturer's code number "Aquila 142C".

Return to “Introduce yourself”