Pernambuco, João - Brazilian Dance - Video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
DmitriTchoulanov

Pernambuco, João - Brazilian Dance - Video

Post by DmitriTchoulanov » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 am

Good evening, I really like this Brazilian Dance.
Its rythme is great; I would like to make it sound well enough, so you would like to dance following some Brazilian's styles :)

DmitriTchoulanov

Re: Brazilian Dance by Pernambucco

Post by DmitriTchoulanov » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:14 am

Ps. trying to make several different recordings to understand how to play it better

DanKimmorley

Re: Pernambuco, João - Brazilian Dance - Video

Post by DanKimmorley » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:22 am

DmitriTchoulanov wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 am
Its rythme is great; I would like to make it sound well enough, so you would like to dance following some Brazilian's styles :)
Very nice interpretation of the piece. My only advice would be to try practicing with a metronome to make the chord changes more fluid

Henrique Rievers

Post by Henrique Rievers » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 am

DmitriTchoulanov wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 am
Hello Dimitri!

I also really like this piece and have played a lot of João Pernambuco's works. I would like to give you a little feedback I hope you don't mind. My only intention is to help.

The title of this piece is "Sons de Carrilhões" (It is usually translated as Sounds of bells - Carrilhão is an instrument that consists on a set of bells with different tunings)

The first thing that caught my attention was how you are playing the chords. It sounds very loose. You are playing them as a eight- followed by a sixteenth note and, in my opinion and on the editions I saw, it should be two sixteenth notes. It is a choro-maxixe and this would be the typical rhythm motive for the accompaniment. Here is an example of what I mean:

There are other things but I think that this would be a good start. Have fun and I am looking forward to your next video.

Abraço!
Henrique Rievers

Samuel Carvalho 2006 SP/BR
Irmãos Carvalho 7S6 2014 CD

RHSOldboy

Post by RHSOldboy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 am

Hello Dmitri! I enjoyed listening to your performance. Thank you for posting.

DmitriTchoulanov

Post by DmitriTchoulanov » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm

thanks for all your comments!! I really would like to work more on this composition )))

bert

Post by bert » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Henrique Rievers wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 am
The first thing that caught my attention was how you are playing the chords. It sounds very loose. You are playing them as a eight- followed by a sixteenth note and, in my opinion and on the editions I saw, it should be two sixteenth notes. It is a choro-maxixe and this would be the typical rhythm motive for the accompaniment.
The first edition I saw had it the way Dimitri plays it and is also the way I prefer it. Maybe it's not style correct, although I just got out the book Brazilian rhythms for solo guitar which states the rhythmic motive as 16 8 16 8 8, with an accent on the last eight.

Just do what you like.

Henrique Rievers

Post by Henrique Rievers » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:33 am

bert wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:32 pm
Henrique Rievers wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 am
The first thing that caught my attention was how you are playing the chords. It sounds very loose. You are playing them as a eight- followed by a sixteenth note and, in my opinion and on the editions I saw, it should be two sixteenth notes. It is a choro-maxixe and this would be the typical rhythm motive for the accompaniment.
The first edition I saw had it the way Dimitri plays it and is also the way I prefer it. Maybe it's not style correct, although I just got out the book Brazilian rhythms for solo guitar which states the rhythmic motive as 16 8 16 8 8, with an accent on the last eight.

Just do what you like.
Hi Bert!

About the interpretation: of course, every one can do what he/she sees as the best option. I just wanted to give him some feedback. I have a LOT of experience with Brazilian music and wanted to help. that's all.

One last thing: the book you mentioned is not good. it doesn't go deep in anything and have some weird things. Instead of relying on books, I think you would benefit more by listening to great players. I would recommend Rogério Caetano, Marco Pereira, Dino 7 Cordas, Dilermando Reis, Raphael Rabello, Mauricio Carrilho. Groups like the one from Jacob do Bandolim, Camerata Carioca, Conjunto Época de Ouro are also important. Those are just a few names, of course. Different people will have another suggestions.

Again, this is just my opinion. You and everyone else should proceed as you see fit.

Abraço!
Henrique Rievers

Samuel Carvalho 2006 SP/BR
Irmãos Carvalho 7S6 2014 CD

bert

Post by bert » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 am

Henrique Rievers wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:33 am
I have a LOT of experience with Brazilian music and wanted to help. that's all.
Hi Henrique,

And you did help.

You're right about the great players playing it the way you say. I just dug out my copy of the piece, the Swede who transcribed it in 1966 (Bengt Erdmann) skipped the name "Sons de Carrilhões" and called it "Chôro", obviously also changing the rhythm. Still, like I said, it's what I prefer, probably partly because it's what I started with. Maybe my reaction would have been different with any other maxixe.

Relying on books is indeed not the best way to learn how to play, especially foreign pieces.

Bert

DmitriTchoulanov

Post by DmitriTchoulanov » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am

Good morning every one!
There are some good players playing this dance)
We can listen to some good recordings by Tatyana R, for example ))

DmitriTchoulanov

Post by DmitriTchoulanov » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:24 am

Various natural improvisations sound very good))
So you would like to dance this dance.
I believe it's the purpose of this pleasant music)

gemisto

Post by gemisto » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Excellent! Bravo!

myrizio

Post by myrizio » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Nice performance!
I think you can improve a bit the 16-8-16 pattern perhaps! the subsequent notes should have a low volume, and can put a touch of the chords damping the sound in after the second, this way is also good to keep more easily the rythm.

Apart from this detail real nice sound, thank you for sharing!! :bravo:
Abraços,
Maurizio

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”