Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
WillMbCdn5

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by WillMbCdn5 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Being very new to classical guitars coming from a vintage 18" acoustic jazz archtop background my impression is very subjective with limited comparative reference. My understanding is that the guitar was played by a student taking lessons for less than a year and sat in its case unplayed till I acquired it a week or two ago. To my ear it sounds warm and refined with a very balanced clarity across its range . I'm pleasantly surprised by how responsive it is to RH changes in tone production , volume control etc. Having been played so little since new I am wondering how it will evolve now that it is getting a workout :)

Will

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Sounds like you scored there. Best of luck with it.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Something exciting happened today, one of my new pupils turned up for his first ever lesson with his mother's old guitar which turned out to be a Yamaha GC-3!

It is in excellent shape for an old guitar and was in the original Yamaha hard case with a brass Yamaha plaque attached.

I took a picture of the label, will see if I can get a few more pics next week.

Not
20180925_165036.jpg
a bad instrument for a complete beginner!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Richwilly wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:43 pm
Something exciting happened today, one of my new pupils turned up for his first ever lesson with his mother's old guitar which turned out to be a Yamaha GC-3!
It was built between 1985 and 1990.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks, I was hoping for a little info.

It was a refreshing change for a pupil to turn up with something a little different and of good quality.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Richwilly wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm
It was a refreshing change for a pupil to turn up with something a little different and of good quality.
The guitar has a solid cedar top and laminated rosewood back and sides. The model is an entry level of the GC series, but if the pupil likes it and the sound is good, then this shouldn't matter.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Even for an entry level guitar, it is very well made. It's marquetry is better than many high-end guitars.
Last edited by HNLim on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:56 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 pm
Richwilly wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm
The guitar has a solid cedar top and laminated rosewood back and sides. The model is an entry level of the GC series, but if the pupil likes it and the sound is good, then this shouldn't matter.
Sorry, Andreas, I wasn't clear. I was saying thanks for approximate date of manufacture because I was hoping to get a little info which you kindly provided!

This internet communication is fraught with difficulties! :)

thejrawk

Post by thejrawk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi, friends;

Thanks for all your contributions to this blog. They've been very informative and it's great to see fellow guitarists assisting and building each other up.

I'm completely new to the classical guitar world, but was looking into picking up an NCX-1200r for sake of plugging in, until I recently landed a Yamaha G260s.

This guitar has not been used for many years, and is not without its issues:
- there are 3 cracks in the top wood; ranging from 3-5-12 inches long, and about 1.5-2 inches apart from each other, beginning at the lower part of the body and getting longer (reaching the sound hole) as you get closer to the saddle
- the longest crack, reaching the sound hole, extends to the edge of the bottom body where the top wood is actually lifting off slightly from the side wood (near the bottom strap pin, if there was one)
- there seems to be a crack/separation (which may have been repaired by the previous owner) where the neck joint and the guitar body meets
- there's a crack in the headstock from the E tuning peg
- the D string tuning peg is snapped off

After tuning it and playing all strings (except for the D string, as the tuning peg's unusable), it stayed in tune well, though the action was higher than my liking. I was impressed by its sound considering the age of the strings, the lack of a set up/intonation, and all of the guitar's ailments.

I am not looking to get this unit restored to absolute perfection, but I am curious if anyone could share wisdom on if this unit is a wise one to invest in considering its current state, and with the hope for it to have a plugin option. I have scoured the Web for information on the G260, and haven't come up with much.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

guitarfromhell

Post by guitarfromhell » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi, Friends!
What do you think about Yamaha GC-26?
In which years it was built?
And how about quality of this guitar?
Thank you!

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:01 pm

The GC26 was build sometime between 1986 to 1990.
1. Solid Ezo Spruce top
2. Solid Indian Rosewood back & laminated sides
3. Mahagony neck
4. Ebony fingerboard
5. Ebony bridge
6. 650mm scale
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Martin Davis

Post by Martin Davis » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello guys

As per one of my posts in this thread, I own an 2010 GC-31C and I'm just wondering how it is worth. It's in fair condition with quite a few dinks on the top and I'm just curious as to how much it's worth.

Anybody able to give me an idea on it's value?

Thanks
Martin
2010 Yamaha GC-31C Made in Japan

WillMbCdn5

Post by WillMbCdn5 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 pm

re : Yamaha GC 31C value . I just paid 700.00 CDN dollars/ approx 420 Pounds for one in like new condition with the case in similar condition. Not sure if that is above or below market value.

Will

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm

WillMbCdn5 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 pm
re : Yamaha GC 31C value . I just paid 700.00 CDN dollars/ approx 420 Pounds for one in like new condition with the case in similar condition. Not sure if that is above or below market value.

Will
I paid 1000$ for mine and I thought I had a great deal!
Yamaha GC-31

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm

I noticed even with the high-end Yamaha GC guitars, there is a wide variation with the sound/tone of their guitars. I have owned 2 Yamaha GC30A and both have amazing sound, however, I have played on a Yamaha GC30A which I wanted to buy that have very disappointing sound.

I bought a Yamaha GC70 that needs refurbishing. When I first take possession of the guitar, the sound was very disappointing. However with the advice given by my good friend Sen Goh, I did some voicing of the guitar. The sound has undergone a dramatic transformation in volume and tone. The bass has become more powerful and the treble has become sweeter. It has become probably the best sounding guitar that I have come across. I enjoy playing this amazing guitar and never seems to have enough of it. It makes me want to wake up in the middle of the night to play my guitar.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Return to “Luthiers”