Bach Partita No.1 BWV 825 Played by Błażej Sudnikowicz

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Ray

Bach Partita No.1 BWV 825 Played by Błażej Sudnikowicz

Post by Ray » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:10 am

Thought I would post this performance of J.S. Bach's Keyboard Partita No.1 BWV 825 as a compare/contrast to the outstanding one by Max Zuckerman that was posted by Denian and commented on by him and others here a month ago. Here's that thread -

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=121587

I think it's equally as beautiful and impressive a performance. Would like to hear your thoughts! :D
Last edited by Ray on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bert

Re: Bach Partita No.1 BWV 825 Played by Błażej Sudnikowicz

Post by bert » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Haven't heard the one by Zuckerman, but I like this one

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:57 pm

bert wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:15 pm
Haven't heard the one by Zuckerman, but I like this one
Here's the Max Zuckerman performance and thread - when you have time to listen and comment let me know what you think compared to the one you just listened to by Sudnikowicz.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=121587

Bill

Post by Bill » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:25 pm

They are both excellent & there is always room for more.

too

Post by too » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:09 am

Both are truely amazing players, performing so masterly and heartfelt. Viewing these videos and listening to these masters, my conviction increases that there is probably no other instrument capable of producing such a rich and at the same time subtle tonal expression as the classical guitar.

Thanks for sharing!
< = > less is more

dmcmurray

Post by dmcmurray » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 am

Its funny, even though it is the same piece each rendition appeals to me according to my activity or mood. Blazej is subdued and temperate where the Zuckerman with its brighter tone and sharper expression creates a more active listening experience for me.
2013 Connor Spruce/Brazilian
1979 Ramirez 1a Cedar/IR
1996 Carpio Spruce/IR
1998 Joiner Cedar/Maple

rkguitar16

Post by rkguitar16 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 am

Superb performances. My initial preference is for the steady and warm expression that Blazej achieves. Zuckerman brings a bit more clarity and energy to his interpretation. I wonder if there is higher end EQ/Compression added to Zuckerman's recording. There is also the difference between color and black and white video to consider. Such a gorgeous transcription on the guitar!

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 pm

They're both excellent, but I think I prefer the more finely-articulated ornamentation in the Zuckerman video. It goes to show once again that yes, Bach can be satisfactorily adapted to the guitar, and it's no crime. ;)

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:06 am

Both are really excellent players and the piece is just wonderful! I enjoyed listening to both players. Thanks for sharing.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 am

ddray wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 pm
They're both excellent, but I think I prefer the more finely-articulated ornamentation in the Zuckerman video. It goes to show once again that yes, Bach can be satisfactorily adapted to the guitar, and it's no crime. ;)
The only thing is these transcriptions are literally at the very upper limit of technical difficulty and probably only playable by a very small number of players.

I think the Bach solo lute, violin and cello music is just fine on guitar, virtuosic but manageable. But these keyboard partitas are simply much too difficult to do justice with for 99.9% of players out there, even the best professional ones.

Hubert Kappel transcribed the monumental 6th partita in the late 1980's and till this day only a few other players play that one.

Judicael Perroy plays the 2nd partita - also extremely difficult not worth the bother IMO even though it's very beautiful. The counterpoint is a hand twister! Here's some vids of him playing it

Last edited by Cipher on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 am

Cipher wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 am

Judicael Perroy plays the 2nd partita - also extremely difficult not worth the bother IMO even though it's very beautiful. The counterpoint is a hand twister! Here's some vids of him playing it
Well, if it's very beautiful, it's worth the bother...just like those jumping hand-crossings in many of the Goldberg Variations (if played on a single keyboard). The thing is, there aren't very many other composers' works that will hold the attention for 15+ minutes when performed on guitar, so take what you can get. Thanks for the video links, nicely done.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 am

ddray wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 am
Cipher wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 am

Well, if it's very beautiful, it's worth the bother...just like those jumping hand-crossings in many of the Goldberg Variations (if played on a single keyboard).
There's no comparison to a pianist playing the Goldbergs which are difficult technically but not the most difficult works by far for solo piano. For that you'd have to go to Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto, Liszt Transcendentals, Ravel's Scarbo, Balakirev's Islamey. etc..

These Bach keyboard partitas I would say are even more difficult technically on guitar than those Prokofiev, Liszt, Ravel and Balakirev pieces are to a pianist. So you can literally risk a hand injury if you're not careful even if your technique is up to it. These superhuman guys make it look relatively easy but it's not by far.

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:08 am

Cipher wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 am
There's no comparison to a pianist playing the Goldbergs which are difficult technically but not the most difficult works by far for solo piano. For that you'd have to go to Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto, Liszt Transcendentals, Ravel's Scarbo, Balakirev's Islamey. etc..
Have you ever played any of the above? Do you know the kind of precision that's necessary to play Bach acceptably on a piano?
I didn't say the guitar transcriptions were easy. But whoever can play them, go for it.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 pm

ddray wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:08 am
Cipher wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 am
Have you ever played any of the above? Do you know the kind of precision that's necessary to play Bach acceptably on a piano?
I didn't say the guitar transcriptions were easy. But whoever can play them, go for it.
What’s the difference if I’ve played them or not?? Or know the precision necessary to play them? Are you an acknowledged master of the piano and its technique? If you are and your opinion has more weight than mine please let us know. I’ll tell you what though I’ve been playing the classical guitar professionally for over 40 years and these guitar Bach keyboard transcriptions are dangerous for most, if not all hands. As far as the music goes the only Bach keyboard partita that is accessible and easy to understand is the first in Bb. The rest are not easy listening at all and contrary to what you said would bore most listeners after a few minutes, that’s my opinion.
Your being a pianist and looking down on our repertoire with your offhand comments borders on trolling. We’re very happy and not even slightly bored with the music written for guitar and the sound of the guitar in general. Sorry to hear you’re unhappy and bored.

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Cipher wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 pm
Are you an acknowledged master of the piano and its technique?
I wouldn't call myself an "acknowledged master", but I do have practical experience. So therefore I do believe that I'm a little more qualified than you are to speak of the difficulties in playing this or that composer. Bach is one of the more technically challenging because there's no hiding in Bach. There's no concealing a flubbed note behind the sustain pedal or blurry scales or crashing chords.
As far as the music goes the only Bach keyboard partita that is accessible and easy to understand is the first in Bb. The rest are not easy listening at all and contrary to what you said would bore most listeners after a few minutes, that’s my opinion.
While Sor, Britten and Ginastera will keep them glued to their seats?
Your being a pianist and looking down on our repertoire with your offhand comments borders on trolling. We’re very happy and not even slightly bored with the music written for guitar and the sound of the guitar in general. Sorry to hear you’re unhappy and bored.
"Trolling" (aka having a different opinion) isn't the intent, but you have a point. My enthusiasm for the guitar has waned since I joined the forum and it's on the back burner, to say the least. I've gone back to the keyboard and also studying the cello, so maybe my "participation" in the forum is more pointless now than it ever was.

But never, ever underestimate the value of a repertoire consisting of truly great music, however difficult it might be. Playing it is the payoff and incentive for all those hours of practice.

Return to “Our favourite websites”