Music Reviewer Required

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
PeteJ

Music Reviewer Required

Post by PeteJ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:07 pm

A year or more back I started writing pieces for CG and have about twenty finished. I'm now wondering what to do with them. They are playable and not bad musically but I don't know whether they pass the crucial test for compositions, namely that the work it takes to play them is worth the effort.

I wonder if a good player here would be prepared to have a look at them and comment. It's not a small favour since I've not recorded any yet and it would mean playing through them all. A good sight-reader who knows the repertoire would be ideal. My question would be whether there's any value in them.

I don't want to post any here or send them to multiple players, just one or maybe two who are interested and competent to judge them as guitar music. A teacher or performer would be ideal, but only if it's not going to be a chore for you.

I dislike being asked to comment on people's music and used to hate being handed cassettes of demos knowing that almost certainly they'd be poor and I'd have to say so, but I'll be okay with some straight talking. I'd ask for a brief comment on each one but not an essay.

I would email the scores direct and ask you not to pass them around. They are not in a publishable state but are neatly laid out with musescore.

I can say more if necessary.

Any volunteers?

Dekselsedek

Re: Music Reviewer Required

Post by Dekselsedek » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:44 am

I'm up for it! I have some spare time between teaching and I'm curious. I'm a CG teacher with over ten years experience.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:53 am

Love this , are we going to have a ring side seat ? I know you don't want to pass your music around , but we are a small discreet community .

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 am

Dekselsedek wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:44 am
I'm up for it! I have some spare time between teaching and I'm curious. I'm a CG teacher with over ten years experience.
Great! Could you PM your email address? I'll post the scores forthwith.

Malc - I don't mind if review comments are posted here and I may post some music later depending on how things go. I was going to post recordings rather than scores but haven't got around to recording any of them yet. My purpose is not to advertise them here.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 am

Dekselsedek - If you dislike reading off-screen (like me) I can send printed versions if I have an address.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am

Well this is odd. My volunteer seems have gone awol. If someone else would like to do this there is a vacancy.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am

I would be interested but I don't know if I have the credentials other than that I'm an intermediate player (aren't most of us!) at grade 5 ABRSM (UK) and I'm working a lot on my sight-reading in that I've tried quite a few of the members pieces.
I just don't know if I can expertly comment on the composition from an analysis point of view. I do listen to a wide range of CG music though so I 'might' have be able to provide a few comments based on my listening.
For example, I'm currently listening to 'Llobet - complete Guitar music' played by Tampalini, 'Brouwer Guitar Music Vol 2' played by Papandreou and 100 Best classical guitar box set.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am
I would be interested but I don't know if I have the credentials
Thanks Smudger. You'd be a player I hope would enjoy them but not quite the person from whom I'd like feedback. I'm rethinking this and may just post some for comments. Ideally I would have some comments from a seasoned performer or teacher. I'll wait a while to see what happens here and then decide. If I post any I'll let you know.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:56 pm

No probs - it was just if you needed any kind of feedback whilst waiting for a more experienced reviewer.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:33 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 am
... Ideally I would have some comments from a seasoned performer or teacher. I'll wait a while to see what happens here and then decide. ....
Oh go on then Pete, you should still have my email. May take a wee while to do them justice 8) .
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am

Hi Stephen. I wondered if you'd show up here. I didn't contact you directly in case it put you on the spot. I know this sort of job can be a right nuisance, especially if you don't think much of the music. But thanks. I'll get it all together and email the pdfs. I'll add some notes about why I'd like someone such as yourself to look at them. Many thanks.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Update:

I've come back just to thank Stephen for making so many valuable and helpful comments on my pieces and for the time it took. I couldn't have asked for more. This forum is a godsend.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”