Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
soltirefa

Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by soltirefa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 pm

I saw this said about the D'Addario rectified trebles on Strings by Mail.

"The Rectified Trebles are preferred by many guitarists for their distinctive warm tone and lightly textured feel."

I had used rectified trebles in the past but never really gave them a chance because that rough texture turned me off. I decided to buy a set for my 11-string alto guitar because I thought it could use a string with a warm tone. I put them on about three days ago and sure enough, that rough texture was there in the beginning. But I have found that it goes away after a short time. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the string stretching out. I really like the tone a lot. They're my new favorite on this particular guitar.

es335

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by es335 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:33 am

soltirefa wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 pm
... But I have found that it goes away after a short time. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the string stretching out...
Most probably „hand resp. finger polishing“ I presume! :wink: :D

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:57 pm

In my limited experience D'addario makes really nice recitifed nylon strings. I prefer their clear nylon, but their rectified are really nice too. They are so smooth that they almost make the clear ones feel sticky in comparison.
My Recordings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-33zafCSUfVPpFWHgyh-LZ

sandgren

Post by sandgren » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 pm
I saw this said about the D'Addario rectified trebles on Strings by Mail.

"The Rectified Trebles are preferred by many guitarists for their distinctive warm tone and lightly textured feel."

I had used rectified trebles in the past but never really gave them a chance because that rough texture turned me off. I decided to buy a set for my 11-string alto guitar because I thought it could use a string with a warm tone. I put them on about three days ago and sure enough, that rough texture was there in the beginning. But I have found that it goes away after a short time. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the string stretching out. I really like the tone a lot. They're my new favorite on this particular guitar.
That is so true - rectified strings are underrated. I have been on a string odyssee for some time and keep getting back to the Savarez Corum 500 PR normal tension set. The trebles have a full and natural sound which continues to amaze me. The Corum basses have that growling sound that I compare with old Segovia recordings - and they are so easy to vibrate. I also tried the Cantiga set with New Cristal, but I still like the 500 PR set more. I think also the 'growling' characteristic is more pronounced with the Corum set. At least, this is the result I get with my Casimiro Lozano double top guitars.
- Poul

Pede

Post by Pede » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm

I agree that the rectifieds are underrated. They do sound more round to my wars, less harsh.
I prefer the savarez ones.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm

My favourite nylon strings (as opposed to gut) are the rectified Savarez 520B "White Card" low-tension set, or "Red Card" for medium tension. But, being a no-nail player, I'm particularly pleased with the traction I get from rectified strings in general.

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm
My favourite nylon strings (as opposed to gut) are the rectified Savarez 520B "White Card" low-tension set, or "Red Card" for medium tension. But, being a no-nail player, I'm particularly pleased with the traction I get from rectified strings in general.
I also like the white card, the texture I like, but also with that texture comes a squeaky sound when you slide your finger along the string. This sound goes away slowly within a few weeks of playing, but for some people this is a big negative.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S
2002 Casa Montalvo, Spruce, Ziricote

sandgren

Post by sandgren » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 am

Leo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm
RobMacKillop wrote:
I also like the white card, the texture I like, but also with that texture comes a squeaky sound when you slide your finger along the string. This sound goes away slowly within a few weeks of playing, but for some people this is a big negative.
I never experienced the squeaky sound with rectified strings, only with carbon strings. I tried the D’Addario EJ45 with 3rd string of carbon, and I thought there was an animal in the guitar, until I found out it was my finger flesh sliding on the string :shock:
Perhaps it comes down to a matter of playing style - but I’m done with carbon strings.

Leo

Post by Leo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am

sandgren wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 am
Leo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm
RobMacKillop wrote:
I never experienced the squeaky sound with rectified strings, only with carbon strings. I tried the D’Addario EJ45 with 3rd string of carbon, and I thought there was an animal in the guitar, until I found out it was my finger flesh sliding on the string :shock:
Perhaps it comes down to a matter of playing style - but I’m done with carbon strings.
Maybe squeaky is not the right word, more of an abrasive sound due to the rough texture.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S
2002 Casa Montalvo, Spruce, Ziricote

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am

Yes, rectified strings suit those nail players who pluck the string at 90%, or flesh-only players.

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 pm

I have played many years with Savarez 520R. Good strings ... But after trying other sets, I think there are very improved nylons:

- Hannabach makes terribly good nylons (815, 825...), for example.

Actually, this nylon can be considered as a result of an "advanced rectified" process, because it's completely rounded (with maximum precision) and polished...

The feel is unbeatable. The sound - IMO -, too.

Another important option to consider - starting from rectified nylon - is the Aquila Alabastro String Set.

They are not nylon, really. This set is made with a material of its own... But its feel resembles rectified nylon with some notable difference, yes: It's infinitely better in all respects (IMHO, of course).

Greetings,

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:35 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am
Yes, rectified strings suit those nail players who pluck the string at 90%, or flesh-only players.
What does it mean to "pluck the string at 90%"?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 am

At right angles.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:43 am

I use the Savarez rectified trebles once in awhile. They tend to sound kind of squeaky at first, but I adjust my touch, and they get better then. They help me clean up my playing. And then, after I switch back to clear nylon, my playing is ultra clean. My daughter really likes the rectified due to their grippyness.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Hannabach makes terribly good nylons (815, 825...), for example.
The trebles in the 825 series are the same as 815. Only the basses are different. And I totally agree, those are excellent trebles.

Interestingly, after having such good results with the D'Addario normal tension rectified on one guitar, I decided to put the same strings on another guitar. This time, however, they felt very tight and it didn't give me that warm tone that I got on guitar No. 1. I seriously wonder if they accidentally put hard tension (or ever extra hard tension) in my normal tension package.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”