String elasticity - Savarez Cantiga New Cristal vs LaBella 2001

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Re: String elasticity - Savarez Cantiga New Cristal vs LaBella 2001

Post by joachim33 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks for all the input.

There has been some discussion here about Aranjuez bass strings breaking easily for some members.

Not sure whether this has an effect on the lifetime, but which side do you put the loosely spun end of the Suave A800, roller or block? Do you cut it or leave it on.

With Savarez and Hannabach I but the loose end to the roller and cut it after the string has settled a few days, if the string length allows.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:05 am

On the roller end. I do wish manufacturers wouldn’t make floppy ends.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:02 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:00 am
...There has been some discussion here about Aranjuez bass strings breaking easily for some members...
Not sure if and how this applies to Aranjuez strings in general but it had been an issue with the Suave basses in the past. They broke somewhere in the middle and usually in the case, so definitely no issue of wrong handling. Didn't observe this on the last sets so it could be considered as a temporary quality issue of the past. In general the basses do last longer than typical silver plated copper wound basses with particularly less fret wear as the hardness of string winding and frets are quite similar. :wink:

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 am

The Suave are stretching in. Curious to hear how they develop.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 am

petermc61 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:37 am
They are a very light purple tint, not atypical for some other brands of ‘titanium’ string. I don’t know whether the colour is a result of the formulation of the nylon or just an arbitrary additive.
Hi Peter

You think the trebles can (should) be classified as Titanium strings?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:37 am

joachim33 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 am
petermc61 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:37 am
They are a very light purple tint, not atypical for some other brands of ‘titanium’ string. I don’t know whether the colour is a result of the formulation of the nylon or just an arbitrary additive.
Hi Peter

You think the trebles can (should) be classified as Titanium strings?
I have no idea. All I can say is they have a similar to some other manufacturers’ titanium strings. Not very conclusive, sorry.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:51 pm

I just put the La Bella MT2001 treble set on my guitar. Definitely a high tension feel, quite stiff. Good sound so far, some character to it. But in my experience if strings start out very lively they can become too bright once fully settled. We'll see in a few weeks.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi Astro64

Nice to know that it isn't only me. May I ask what your reference string is, which trebles do you compare to?

I have now taken the LaBellas off, but they didn't develop excessive brightness while I played them. If anything they could have been brighter on my books.

Which bass strings did you pair them with?

Joachim

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Most recently I had Imperial trebles on the guitar. On paper these should be much higher in tension than the LaBella 2001. But if anything it seems the LaBella feels a bit tighter. The sound is different too, so it is difficult to be sure of this. But certainly higher in tension than D'Add J45s, again even if not so on paper. I read somewhere that LaBella measures tension for a 65.5 cm string length. I don't think measuring tensions with an 0.5 cm difference in length compared to a normal 65.0 cm scale length measurement, that I presume other manufacturers would use, explains the actual difference in how the strings feel.

So far I would characterize the string sound as more "pianistic" and less "lush" than lower tension strings. Very solid, seems good in volume too, good tone separation, not so easy for vibrato. But the tightness of treble strings seems to also change with how warm it is in my study (summer afternoons, any string tends to feel looser) and right now I mostly play during cool early mornings. That may be an entirely subjective effect, but something that seems to happen with all strings for me.

The basses are La Bella Argento Silver MT. So far I like those too.

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 pm

:?:
Re: the OP - I find the LaBella 2001 trebles have a slightly tacky feel, particularly when new. Any added purchase might explain how an apparently stiffer string seems tougher on the left hand, yet easier on pull-offs.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:08 am

Hi

I have taken the A800 off a few days ago and replaced them with standard EJ45 strings. The A800 are definitely easier on the left hand than the EJ45. I really like the playability of the A800. Easy to hammer on and pull off, easy vibrato, easy to press for the left. Easier with slurs than my (sound wise) beloved Savarez 510CR, which I feel are too floppy on the trebles. The A800 are definitely a recommendation for members with hand health issues (tendons, joints, ...).

I felt the guitar (solid cedar/IRW/fan braced) lost a bit of its volume. With the EJ this is back. Perhaps the instrument wants a bit more pull - or is it the string material? I think even the Savarez had more volume, despise being too floppy to slur, which gets me back to my original question on the interplay of string elasticity and tension.

Regarding the sound of the A800 Suave, I am still not sure. They sound quite different from other strings I played. I still struggle to decide whether I like it or not. I have two more sets on shelf and also an A200 set to try.

The 3G-string of the A800 is clearly not on the tubby site when compared to the D’Addario. Other than that I don’t like to comment on the EJ yet. I haven’t played them very much.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:40 am

After having the EJ45 for about 3 weeks they have matured nicely and seem to work well with my instrument. Regarding the left hand they seem in the middle between the Savarez 510 CR and the LaBella 2001 MHT. Published tensions for EJ45 are higher than for Savarez, so this as expected. I am wondering whether I was sold the wrong strings ( eg extra hard as medium high) by LaBella. I currently do not perceive the EJ45 3G-string as overly tubby any more. I think that needed time to mature and improved with time.

The EJ45 do not play as easy as the Suave. The Suave sound in my view quite different from the above Savarez, LaBella and D’Addario (which is not good or bad, it is different as stated).

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:12 am

Yesterday evening I changed strings on my new Fritz Ober maple guitar (Ex-dofpic). Switched from Savarez Cantiga basses and Mari e and h trebles (g string alsways Knobloch carbon) to a set of La Bella 2001 MT. I subscribe to what some others have said in this thread. La Bella provides quite a firm left hand feeling. I would not say stiff, but definitely stiffer than my previous combo. I like it somehow, one has to dig into. Soundwise they fit very well to the transparent (not brittle) Torres/Hauser style of the Ober. Very clear and with a remarkable separation of notes, most of all in the mid ranges. I can hear more details than with Cantiga. The basses are slightly less mellow, trebles full and sweet, Mari sounded a bit thinner in comparison. Conclusion: Bold playing feeling and sound character. Recommendable set.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 am

Hi

Thanks for participating and I am glad you are enjoying your new guitar.

I am not sure how long you are keeping strings, but I would be interested to know whether you still stand by your assessment, once the strings have matured for 2 or 3 weeks. In my experience stings can change considerably in sound and playability over that period.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Absolutely, I change strings quite often, bass strings even after two weeks or so if I play the guitar day by day for some hours. Basses start sounding dull after 10 or 14 days of intensive playing. They lose their brilliance, even real silver strings. Tebles rest a bit longer, but not longer than a month. If e1 is getting rough on the surface, off with it.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”