D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jono Diel
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jono Diel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 am

Here is La Tête Bizarde. It took me a while learning the right thumb part.

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Jono Diel wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:51 pm

For the song La Tête Bizarde, on bars 3and 11; I'm confused as to which strings to dampen . . . .
Jono,

I am beginning to work through this piece and this is my take on it. Since the B on the 2nd bar is played by the 4th finger on the 3rd string followed by an open G on the same string, the dampen refers to the open G. If one uses the thumb on the following D, the string will be dampen as a natural result of the thumb coming to rest on the 3rd string. However, if you alternate with m (instead of p), you will need to dampen the 3rd string with \2. Is that what you concluded?

Thanks,
Alan
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Jono Diel wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 am
Here is La Tête Bizarde. It took me a while learning the right thumb part.

Good job Jono!

I am not sure why the piece is written with p indicated for those D notes since Delcamp's performance alternates i m without the thumb being used at all.

I am not expert, but I think your thumb is coming under the i and m fingers, you might want to rotate the hand a bit more to help the thumb come out more to side of the i finger. I think that is the preferred approach for more challenging works to prevent the fingers colliding against each other.

I am personally struggling through these pieces but hope to post something (at a slow tempo) over the weekend!

Alan
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Many thanks for the input Alan!

For the dampening part that's my conclusion after looking through it more carefully. I just did not get a chance to play the peice without using the right thumb.

Also I need to work with where my P rests.I'm not sure why it's difficult for me to position my P away from the rest of my fingers. I will try rotating my hands later. Looking forward for your vids!

Jono

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi Jono, very well played!!! We already discussed the P notes since Delcamp's performance alternates and i think at the beginning it may be wise to use the written finger, also alternating m i might be easier from time to time ;-)

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:22 pm

That's what I'm intending to do as well Robert :). That way, we get to learn exactly what the teacher expects us to learn.

On the side note I really need to work on my right hand technique, cuz I make my guitar sound bad and stiff.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Jono Diel wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:22 pm
That's what I'm intending to do as well Robert :). That way, we get to learn exactly what the teacher expects us to learn.

On the side note I really need to work on my right hand technique, cuz I make my guitar sound bad and stiff.
Here's a good link that talks about right hand technique and properly positioning the thumb.

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/r ... al-guitar/

I would also suggest to practice slowly and focusing on technique. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do read a lot and this seems to be a common thread. If you think you're playing slow, slow down even more. Apparently by doing so the various techniques will become ingrained in the brain and will eventually become quite natural and you will be able to execute good right hand technique without much thought.

Bill
1959 Sakazo Nakade Custom Build
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin
1992 Asturias Custom Build

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:40 am

Sounds perfect Bill! Also the link was very informative. I'll try to grow nails as well and see how it goes. Thanks much!

Jono

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 am

William Byrd wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Jono Diel wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Here's a good link that talks about right hand technique and properly positioning the thumb.

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/r ... al-guitar/

I would also suggest to practice slowly and focusing on technique. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do read a lot and this seems to be a common thread. If you think you're playing slow, slow down even more. Apparently by doing so the various techniques will become ingrained in the brain and will eventually become quite natural and you will be able to execute good right hand technique without much thought.

Bill
I couldn't agree more.
Alan
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:20 am

Here is my first submission for the C Major scale. Compared to many other methods, Delcamp likes to through a lot into each exercise. He varies the notes, adds dynamics and dampen the notes. You do not get to see that in may beginner books.

and the exercise 20

1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 am

Here is my submission for the Jig at half tempo. I am still working on increasing the speed for this piece. I tried recording La Tete Bizarde but even slowly, I am unable to record without a serious blunder. I need to spend another day on that piece. Hopefully, I will post it by tomorrow.

Alan
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 am

Nice submissions, as always Alan!
Listening for the hooves of a rescue party

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 am
Nice submissions, as always Alan!
Thank you! Hopefully I will get these re-recorded at full tempo before the end of course. BTW, your recordings are very good!
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Oh no, Page 54! Wow, that was impossible the first time I butchered it. Some of them got easier within minutes, but none of them are easy.

I guess I'm teaching my fingers to boldly go where I've not gone before!

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 pm
Oh no, Page 54! Wow, that was impossible the first time I butchered it. Some of them got easier within minutes, but none of them are easy.

I guess I'm teaching my fingers to boldly go where I've not gone before!
You only need to work on number one for the moment. The rest of the page gets introduced later.
Listening for the hooves of a rescue party

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”