Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
François C
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Antwerp

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by François C » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 am

My favorite and daily played guitar is a Model J from Jean Luc Joie.
The guitar is a joy to play on. Flawless finished into details. These guitar makes me playing and sounding better than I really am.
It has very controllable sound level and dynamics. Plenty of volume if you need to and a perfect sustain, the music decays gradually in a linear way.
Like already mentioned the guitars from Jean-Luc Joie are famous for their extreme balance and homogeneity. You will notice it immediately when you play in the higher regions, say from above the 5th fret.
I have compared my J-model with lots of other more expensive guitars and in the overall comparison I always returned to my Joie as being my favorite.
Some will point out this perfection as a lack of character. Not me, I appreciate the guitars from JL Joie as the most natural sounding. I specifically like the warm tone color over all the registers.
The neutrality of the guitar makes it successfully usable to play different genres, from Baroque over to Spanish over to modern or Jazz.

Unlike Ivan said, I think the J-model is the actual Joie top-model.
According recent information I got, the L-model (model lower than the J) is not made anymore .
There are only two models available actually: the J- en the N-model. The N-model is a heelless development and is sold 40 % cheaper than the J-model (to promote it). I can not comment on the musical qualities of the new N-model, since I didn’t had the chance yet, to put my hands on it. The J-model is made with the typical Spanish heel construction and is also the model played by f.i. Thibault Couvin.
Jean-Luc Joie Model J, 2017, cedar/ IR
Dominique Field, 2016, cedar/CSAR
Gerhard Odiges, 2011, spruce/BR
Karel Dedain Hauser2, 2013, spruce/IR

User avatar
Alexandru Marian
Luthier
Posts: 3206
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:02 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by Alexandru Marian » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 am

Ben, just saw the Ponce vid - very nice both playing and guitar. And far from an "even" sound. For example the air and soundboard main modes are super obvious, probably hard to control by someone not willing to work *with* the instrument.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 7484
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 am

ivan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:26 pm
Last year, I put the light inside the guitar to see if it is really build without any brace - just to satisfy my curiousity. (Well, at least it has one brace - the bridge 😆😆😆)

However, from the picture there is definitely something under the bridge. Any comments and opinions from luthier friends?
That looks like it's either a much thicker area or it's a plate of some type. Don't know if you would call that braceless or not. In any case Torres made a guitar without any braces and much earlier the chambure vihuela was without them also.
Historicalguitars.

ivan
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Jakarta - Indonesia

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ivan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 am
ivan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:26 pm
Last year, I put the light inside the guitar to see if it is really build without any brace - just to satisfy my curiousity. (Well, at least it has one brace - the bridge 😆😆😆)

However, from the picture there is definitely something under the bridge. Any comments and opinions from luthier friends?
That looks like it's either a much thicker area or it's a plate of some type. Don't know if you would call that braceless or not. In any case Torres made a guitar without any braces and much earlier the chambure vihuela was without them also.
Yes Michael. Joie also never stated that he invent the system. I'm sure many have done it long before him.

ivan
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Jakarta - Indonesia

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ivan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:15 am

Let me clarify, it is extremely balance, but it does NOT sounds weird like some modern guitars (overly thick, overly dark, honky, etc). It has very nice timbre. Not overly thick / bold, and not overly sharp / penetrating. Everything is just right.

Regarding the range of color between tasto and ponti. It has very nice and good range. Not as wide as Marin Montero (for example), but not as stiff / narrow as Dammann or Dominique Field 2015 i have here. Eveything is just right in this Joie guitar.
The most remarkable thing when playing this guitar is a very nice control, every note is predictable so you don't need to compensate anything.

Btw, just receive a new 2018 Edmund Blochinger few minutes ago 😁😁😁(helping my friend / client to order this guitar, so it is not mine). I will play and observe it and report back in next few months.

ivan
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Jakarta - Indonesia

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ivan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 am

François C wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 am
My favorite and daily played guitar is a Model J from Jean Luc Joie.
The guitar is a joy to play on. Flawless finished into details. These guitar makes me playing and sounding better than I really am.
It has very controllable sound level and dynamics. Plenty of volume if you need to and a perfect sustain, the music decays gradually in a linear way.
Like already mentioned the guitars from Jean-Luc Joie are famous for their extreme balance and homogeneity. You will notice it immediately when you play in the higher regions, say from above the 5th fret.
I have compared my J-model with lots of other more expensive guitars and in the overall comparison I always returned to my Joie as being my favorite.
Some will point out this perfection as a lack of character. Not me, I appreciate the guitars from JL Joie as the most natural sounding. I specifically like the warm tone color over all the registers.
The neutrality of the guitar makes it successfully usable to play different genres, from Baroque over to Spanish over to modern or Jazz.

Unlike Ivan said, I think the J-model is the actual Joie top-model.
According recent information I got, the L-model (model lower than the J) is not made anymore .
There are only two models available actually: the J- en the N-model. The N-model is a heelless development and is sold 40 % cheaper than the J-model (to promote it). I can not comment on the musical qualities of the new N-model, since I didn’t had the chance yet, to put my hands on it. The J-model is made with the typical Spanish heel construction and is also the model played by f.i. Thibault Couvin.
This is exactly what i'm talking about. Francois explain it much better than me. The neutrality makes this guitar very versatile.

Btw Francois, do you feel the same thing with me about the range of color between Joie vs Field? I feel the Joie still has more flexibility than the Field. The 2015 Field i have here feels very stiff, the tone is extremely bold and thick, and it keeps pretty much like that no matter what i do on my right hand.

powermrk
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 am

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by powermrk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 pm

I just came across J-LJ 's werbsite http://jeanlucjoieguitares.com/en/guitars/ and hope to get some information about his classical guitars.

Unfortunately, there are only pics of his two models model-L and Model-J without any details like specs.

I also heard from this thread that the model-L is discontinued, so I assume J-LJ 's werbsite is a little bit out-dated.

Other than contact the luthier himself directly, where can I find more information regarding his guitars?

By the way, what is the base price of his CG's?

Any sound examples of his guitars with GOOD quality are available online?

Thanks!!

simonm
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9253
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Spain, IB

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by simonm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:31 pm

see pm

ben etow
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Brussels

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ben etow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Alexandru Marian wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 am
Ben, just saw the Ponce vid - very nice both playing and guitar. And far from an "even" sound. For example the air and soundboard main modes are super obvious, probably hard to control by someone not willing to work *with* the instrument.
Thank you for your comment, Alexandru.

After trying more than 850 guitars and owning like 25 with my wife (3 Paco Marín among others), I can assure you this guitar is one of the most even ones among the best concert guitars with dynamics, projection/volume and sustain. But yes, you hear the F#. It is still a much more logically sounding instrument.

Then only more even-sounding guitars I tried offered virtually no dynamics and no projection/volume. They did offer sustain, obviously.

ben etow
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Brussels

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ben etow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:06 pm

powermrk wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 pm
Any sound examples of his guitars with GOOD quality are available online?

Thanks!!
Search for Thibault Cauvin's Le voyage d'Albéniz, Vivaldi album, Cities II, Thibault Cauvin (All Sony) or Edenwood's Another Place, GCM Project.

powermrk
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 am

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by powermrk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:52 pm

These are by far the best quality of recordings I can find online:



Last edited by powermrk on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ben etow
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Brussels

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ben etow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:26 pm

ben etow wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:06 pm
powermrk wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 pm
Any sound examples of his guitars with GOOD quality are available online?

Thanks!!
Search for Thibault Cauvin's Le voyage d'Albéniz, Vivaldi album, Cities II, Thibault Cauvin (All Sony) or Edenwood's Another Place, GCM Project.
Sorry, I thought GOOD quality didn't mean YT/other video platforms. I'm pretty sure you can find above mentioned recordings (sound only) on spotify and/or CD Baby and so on...
Last edited by ben etow on Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

François C
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Antwerp

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by François C » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:28 pm

@powermrk
Last month I was in contact with Jean-luc Joie on behave of a friend, who was interested in buying a guitar for him.
He mostly responded me within one day.
He wrote me that his website was undergoing a complete makeover and he apologized for it not being actual anymore.
Though he didn’t mention when it would ready.
The J-model is going for 10 k€. The N-model is having a promotion price of 6 k€ during his first year of production.
Waiting list is approximately one year.

When I ordered my guitar with him back in 2016, I didn’t had so much possibilities to choose from. He advised and preferred a cedar top for his guitars and I always try to work with my luthier, so a cedar top it was.
For the back and sides, he could offer the standard Indian Rosewood either Cocobolo at an extra cost. Nothing more, nothing less.
As for the tuners, he said he mostly worked with Rubner, so that was also a no brainer for me to choose.
For the finish, standard was a tin layer of matte varnish, you could choose for French polish at an extra cost.
I know from reading on this forum, that he also makes guitar with a shorter scale length (like for instance the one Ben Etow is playing).
Still this possibility was not proposed at time of ordering. Since I’m a tall guy, I was also not asking for it.
Didn’t have to make any prepayment.
Prices have gone up considerably the last few years, so it can be assumed that his popularity as a luthier has increased equally in this period.
Jean-Luc Joie Model J, 2017, cedar/ IR
Dominique Field, 2016, cedar/CSAR
Gerhard Odiges, 2011, spruce/BR
Karel Dedain Hauser2, 2013, spruce/IR

powermrk
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 am

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by powermrk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:14 am

ben etow wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:26 pm
ben etow wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:06 pm
powermrk wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 pm
Any sound examples of his guitars with GOOD quality are available online?

Thanks!!
Search for Thibault Cauvin's Le voyage d'Albéniz, Vivaldi album, Cities II, Thibault Cauvin (All Sony) or Edenwood's Another Place, GCM Project.
Sorry, I thought GOOD quality didn't mean YT/other video platforms. I'm rpetty sure you can find above mentioned recordings (sound only) on spotify and/or CD Baby and so on...
Thanks Ben!!

powermrk
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 am

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by powermrk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 am

François C wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:28 pm
@powermrk
Last month I was in contact with Jean-luc Joie on behave of a friend, who was interested in buying a guitar for him.
He mostly responded me within one day.
He wrote me that his website was undergoing a complete makeover and he apologized for it not being actual anymore.
Though he didn’t mention when it would ready.
The J-model is going for 10 k€. The N-model is having a promotion price of 6 k€ during his first year of production.
Waiting list is approximately one year.

When I ordered my guitar with him back in 2016, I didn’t had so much possibilities to choose from. He advised and preferred a cedar top for his guitars and I always try to work with my luthier, so a cedar top it was.
For the back and sides, he could offer the standard Indian Rosewood either Cocobolo at an extra cost. Nothing more, nothing less.
As for the tuners, he said he mostly worked with Rubner, so that was also a no brainer for me to choose.
For the finish, standard was a tin layer of matte varnish, you could choose for French polish at an extra cost.
I know from reading on this forum, that he also makes guitar with a shorter scale length (like for instance the one Ben Etow is playing).
Still this possibility was not proposed at time of ordering. Since I’m a tall guy, I was also not asking for it.
Didn’t have to make any prepayment.
Prices have gone up considerably the last few years, so it can be assumed that his popularity as a luthier has increased equally in this period.
Hi François,

Did he mention what the difference is in specs between J and N-model?

Interestingly he does't ask for any deposit, so a client pays all costs just before shipping the guitar?

You have played JLJ's guitar for probably more than a year, can you share your thoughts please?

Would the tone like someone called "the sound is too even/balance all over the fingerboard"?

Thanks!

Return to “Luthiers”