Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
François C

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by François C » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:52 am

powermrk wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 am

Interestingly he does't ask for any deposit, so a client pays all costs just before shipping the guitar?
Not exactly, I could order my guitar via email without making any deposit. A year later when I spend my holiday in the South of France, I paid the full amount at pickup in Bordeaux, after I could try and compare the guitar extensively. I was put under no pressure at all to buy the guitar, if I would have walked away without buying the guitar that also would have been fine for Jean Luc.
He also let me try a model J he just had finished for Thibault Couvin. To be honest, my guitar was an almost 100% match soundwise, with that from Thibault. There were very much alike. I found that the wood from the back of my guitar was a little better looking :wink: .
powermrk wrote:

Did he mention what the difference is in specs between J and N-model?
He said that the N-model is the synthesis of all his innovations in one model. He also send me some pictures of this heelless N-model. (Unfortunately, I don't know how to rotate them)
20180704_141716(1).jpg
20180704_141901(1).jpg
20180704_141909(1).jpg
20180704_141939(1).jpg
powermrk wrote:

You have played JLJ's guitar for probably more than a year, can you share your thoughts please?

Would the tone like someone called "the sound is too even/balance all over the fingerboard"?
I think I already covered these questions in a previous post in this topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Luc Joie Model J, 2017, cedar/ IR
Dominique Field, 2016, cedar/CSAR
Gerhard Odiges, 2011, spruce/BR
Karel Dedain Hauser2, 2013, spruce/IR

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:29 am

François, thanks for your replies :)

ivan

Post by ivan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 am

Joie didn't ask me to pay any deposit for my order of his highest model as well. It seems that is his standard ordering policy, at least for someone he could trust.
Some others top level luthier also not asking for any deposit (Eric Sahlin, Andrea Tacchi, Wagner, Daniel Friederich, etc).

And i have similar experience with Francois, Jean-Luc said he prefer red cedar for his top model. Mine will have Ziricote back & ribs. Heelless neck. And structured body (i don't have an exact explanation about it, but he said it is built with 3 layers of solid wood -not plywood like smallman- with different densities to get what he exactly wants about the weight and stiffness / rigidity aspect).

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:28 am

François C wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:28 pm
@powermrk

The J-model is going for 10 k€.
I am sorry, but there has to be some sort of misunderstanding. 10k must be with his amp system.

François C

Post by François C » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 am

Wel Ben, I must say that I was astonished as well by this severe price increase.
I hope it was no misunderstanding, cause the higher than expected price was the reason that my friend went for another guitar.
However, amplification was never part of our request, so I really doubt that there was a mistake in the offer.

Even if you don’t speak French, this quote out of the offer is quite clear:

“Pour le prix , le modèle J est à 10.000 € et le modèle N à 6000 € en modèle standard ( pour la première annéee de production , nous faisons volontairement un prix attractif.
Les délais sont actuellement autour d'une année et pour formaliser la commande, un email de confirmation suffit .”

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:43 pm

I just listened to Thibault Cauvin's latest recording "Cities II" on Sportify.

My first impression of JLJ's guitar sound was round, thick, dark, balanced and somehow with a little bit "artificial feeling".

I know it is not easy to use words to describe the sound, especailly from a recording. But this was what my little thought.

Pierre Colombo

Post by Pierre Colombo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:00 pm

It's of course very difficult to explain how we "feel" the sound. For me the first quality of those guitars is the balance they provide. Perfect to work as a "small orchestra" as Berlioz said...
If you want to hear a lot more of Jean-Luc Joie work, you can check this version of Villa-Lobos prelude form David Garciarena playing on a M-Model (Upgraded J, transition before the N)

Last edited by Pierre Colombo on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jean-Luc Joie N-Model 2019
Jean-Luc Joie M-Model 2017
Jean-Luc Joie J-Model 2016

Pierre Colombo

Post by Pierre Colombo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm

And here just a picture of my Ziricote model:
Jean-Luc Joie N-Model 2019
Jean-Luc Joie M-Model 2017
Jean-Luc Joie J-Model 2016

ivan

Post by ivan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Pierre Colombo wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm
And here just a picture of my Ziricote model:
Pierre,
The picture you attached can not be seen. But i'm sure you are referring to this one. Isn't it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:04 am

Not minimalist enough, that rosette should go.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:56 am

Pierre Colombo wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:00 pm
It's of course very difficult to explain how we "feel" the sound. For me the first quality of those guitars is the balance they provide. Perfect to work as a "small orchestra" as Berlioz said...
If you want to hear a lot more of Jean-Luc Joie work, you can check this version of Villa-Lobos prelude form David Garciarena playing on a M-Model (Upgraded J, transition before the N)

Hi Pierre, If I can use only one word to describe the sound, I would say the sound is "full".

Can you make a comparison of three mdoels you have please?

François C

Post by François C » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:27 am

powermrk wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:43 pm
I just listened to Thibault Cauvin's latest recording "Cities II" on Sportify.

My first impression of JLJ's guitar sound was round, thick, dark, balanced and somehow with a little bit "artificial feeling".

I know it is not easy to use words to describe the sound, especailly from a recording. But this was what my little thought.
Well powermrk, you could also look at it from a different perspective ...
If you were used to strum chords on a guitar with a string missing and you would be doing this for many years.
You would even become famous for it and after a while everybody starts to copy you and soon everybody is strumming chords on a guitar with a string missing. This continues for decades, until no one knows any better than to strum a guitar with a string missing.
Strings are sold in packages of five.
And then suddenly a smartass comes up with the idea to fill that empty space on the guitar with an extra string and start playing like that.
What do you think then will happen?

I can foretell you that 2 camps will arise.
One group of players will find it more beautiful , more natural sounding, more balanced, richer, more complete. They will think: " Why didn't I come up with this idea?" and soon they too will fill the empty space on their guitars with an extra string and start playing like that.

The other camp of players doesn't really know what to think. It's not that they don't like the sound of chord with an extra string. Still they see it as a tradition broken, unusable, awkward. It feels a bit artificial :-) to them.
They decide they don't want to change and keep playing their guitars with a string missing.

Which lesson can you draw from that?

It's about keeping an open mind. Being objective on you what you really like. Choosing the best possible instrument that let you play the music that you want to play.
It is a personal thing.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:41 am

"it's about keeping an open mind. Being objective on you what you really like. Choosing the best possible instrument that let you play the music that you want to play.
It is a personal thing."

Hi François, very good analogy, thanks!

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 am
Nothing new about braceless guitars. That's one thing we can safely say that he wasn't the first, not by a long shot.
Thats true , the "classical" guitars used to play Portuguese fado, not Potuguese guitar, has no braces at all and is being build for more then 100 years 🙀
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Jose Marques wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 am
Michael.N. wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 am
Nothing new about braceless guitars. That's one thing we can safely say that he wasn't the first, not by a long shot.
Thats true , the "classical" guitars used to play Portuguese fado, not Potuguese guitar, has no braces at all and is being build for more then 100 years 🙀
If the guitar top without braces, then WHAT to support and reinforce the soundboard??

Return to “Luthiers”