"Tips" for guitarists

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Dmitry Nilov

Re: "Tips" for guitarists

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:04 pm

guit-box wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:32 pm
Can you describe in more detail what you mean by "freedom of wrist"? If I had to describe what I see when I look at your wrist from the viewing angle of being in front of you, what I see is you arch the wrist and let gravity drop the hand, so in that sense there is freedom from tension or from holding the wrist in that position, because gravity is causing the position. But the wrist is bent to the right (towards the bridge) because gravity is pulling it into that position. So I don't think you are holding it bent, but the wrist is taking a small turn, much more of a turn than it does when you just drop you arm to the side of your body. In that position, the wrist is completely straight. If we view what your wrist looks like on the guitar and compare it to what it looks like when your arm is dropped effortlessly to your side, the wrist angle is different. No?
Yes, you are very close to the verity! :D :D :D

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:11 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:56 pm
eno wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:49 pm
guit-box wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 pm
I agree that he bends his wrist but I highly doubt he would say he's advocating bending the wrist, read his above posts, he insists that his wrist is NOT bent. His tremolo is probably the best I've ever seen/heard, the position works for him for sure. I just don't understand where he's coming from by saying it's "free" but not bent.
I think we just use different naming conventions. Essentially what Parkening calls "bent" is what Dmitry calls "free". I guess he calls it "free" because it feels like the palm is sort of "free-dangling" as opposed to "held firm" in straight position.
That's exactly it. Bent is seen as if 'forcefully bent'; in any case as implying action; and thus Mr. Nilov says his isn't [forcefully] bent, but is free [to take the position it takes naturally, relaxed under its own weight; which does not require action but is a passive/relaxed/natural setup]. There is no actual disagreement.
I guess that it's a tactical maneuver of Mr. Parkening who has no intention to argue with his colleagues :wink:

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Dear friends,

Here are links to my clips about the freedom of the right wrist. Hope, that you can find smth useful for you here!

All the best,
DN

eno

Post by eno » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:43 pm

guit-box wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 am
I guess, but it's still a stretch to say his wrist is not bend...which is what he says in an earlier post. If I stand up straight, my body is not bent. If I relax my body and give in to gravity and touch my toes, my body is bent. Just because I'm relaxed and gravity does the work doesn't mean I'm not bent at the waist. You're probably right that it's just a difference in how we define the word bent. I've come across the same thing with people who don't like the word collapse when it's used with tip joints.
Keep in mind that Dmitry is not a native English speaker so he may assume a different meaning to the word "bent" (implying that it means "forcefully bent") because in Russian a corresponding word "sognutiy" means "forcefully bent".
Last edited by eno on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Hello Dmitry!
your Videos and Posts, needless to say are invaluable. To me the most important Point you raise is the sympathetic movement of the adjacent fingers when they pluck a string, especially the pinky. Not only helps the whole RH stay relaxed throughout the playing, but enhances, improves the tone/Sound Quality drammatically, not to Mention the natural flow of movement in the RH (bloody Computer, German one, it Always writes allwods with capital letters, I apologise).

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Dmitry, your playing and examples are beyond inspiring.

They have led me to rethink my right hand.

Thank you.
Cordoba CP110

Solista

Post by Solista » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 pm

very good demonstration!!!!

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks a lot, dear gentlemen, for your comments!

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Dear all!

To whom it may concern or can be interesting :) I'm ready to answer all your questions.

By popular request, I decided to demonstrate on this simple example a part of a filming process with 2 angles only. What camera and light I use, how the process of filming looks like etc.
DSLR camera Canon 7D Mark II, camera crane Slidekamera (it's good for filming different angles of hands), V-screen Aputure.
Usually I film all angles with one camera, but here I use action-camera Sony X3000.

Always yours,
DN

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 am

Dmitry Nilov wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm

By popular request, I decided to demonstrate on this simple example a part of a filming process with 2 angles only. What camera and light I use, how the process of filming looks like etc.
Nilov_setup.JPG

:shock: :bravo: Потрясающая система!! (Amazing setup!!)

Thanks for sharing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Thank you! :)

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Dear fellows,

My new clip was made together with the wonderful Russian luthier - Timophey Tkach.

This clip is a part of a 1,5 hour talk, that we could record only after midnight. Each new instrument by Timophey Tkatch is an event with a house-presentation when all guitar-players have an opportunity to touch a "newborn" guitar. The March presentation lasted appr. 10 hours (we hope that our viewers apologize our overweary appearance). We decided to record it in its entirety, and it brought all my equipment for this purpose. Our aim was to check how the instrument will sound in records in certain circumstances.
If the format and the content of this video turn to be interesting for you, please, ask your questions and suggest themes!

Always yours,
DN

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 am

Thanks Dmitry, the instrument sounds great. I could not follow all his comments about the bracing. He talked about not having any harmonic braces, then he discussed the Ramirez (and Rodriguez) slanted braces. But I did not understand how he braced this particular guitar.

tramquangpho

Post by tramquangpho » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:06 am

My greatest tips is great things take time, like really, i remember used to hate myself for not being ble to play tremolo.I did anything I could, any tips I can i applied it,"planting fingers","bursting technique,'slow-fast","slow","one string pratice","different fingerings variations technique, p-i-m-a,p-a-i-m.... all the variations , even 5- note tremolo, but everything just seem stagnant. For a while, 4,5 years, I just realized my tremolo naturally better , I realized one thing " Aha..., after all the technique I have done, I forgot one thing, time is also a technique, maybe imo, the hardest technique.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 pm

astro64 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 am
Thanks Dmitry, the instrument sounds great. I could not follow all his comments about the bracing. He talked about not having any harmonic braces, then he discussed the Ramirez (and Rodriguez) slanted braces. But I did not understand how he braced this particular guitar.
I beg your pardon for replying so late! Of course, there are braces in the construction of this guitar otherwise it won't work :)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”