D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:43 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 76 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS numbers 12, 13, 14.
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 12, 13 and 14 on page 76. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Next we'll work on three pieces :
- page 11 Juan BOBROWITZ (1785-1845) DANSE POLONAISE
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44 :arrow: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... f=41&t=670

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 76 number 13 Scale of C major with crescendo and decrescendo
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Ken Kim
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Judy Verbeeten
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Mike Cook
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Linda Kimbrel
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44
:( + ♫ = :)

Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi, all.

3 Submissions and Danse Polonaise.
Any comments are welcome.

Did it in tempo

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy playing :guitare:.
Last edited by Ken Kim on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 pm
Hi, all.

Ken, I know I sound like a broken record, but the message is the same, month and after month - your playing is a delight to listen to and a provides an incredible benchmark that we can all aspire to achieve. Great stuff.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 am
Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 pm
Hi, all.

Ken, I know I sound like a broken record, but the message is the same, month and after month - your playing is a delight to listen to and a provides an incredible benchmark that we can all aspire to achieve. Great stuff.

Judy
Thank you so much for nice word, Judy. I've enjoyed learning 2 submissions, but Danse Polonaise was a real challenge for lesson 5.
It was quite late for lesson update for this month. That helped me to practice more time for all this pieces.

I look forward to seeing your submissions.
Ken

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:21 am

Again, Ken is a hard act to follow. But here are my submissions for Lesson 05:

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:21 am
Again, Ken is a hard act to follow. But here are my submissions for Lesson 05:
Great job, Judy.
Your tempo is steady whole over the pieces. It sound definitely getting better musically.

Here comes my observation.

RH plucking : I don't think it is good for you to follow Dr. Rob MackKilop's RH position because you are not plucking like him, although it looks similar.
Dr. MacKilop uses all three joints(Proximal, Middle, and DIstal) simultaneously and beautifully(it is also amazing his plucking seems so tension-less like his finger is kissing strings) but you are using only Distal and Middle. Your proximal joint stay straight with knuckle(Metacarpal) and it causes tension to make and stay straight when you pluck string. This is quite serious bad habit and need to be corrected very soon before you progress further to become hard habit to correct. Your metacarpophalangeal joint should be away at least 1" (maybe further) from guitar to make your Proximal to be relaxed. You need to consider this primarily.

Andante Affettuoso: I did rest stroke on First measure only. I believe rest of them should have played with free stroke. You are cutting off many notes with rest stroke. This piece is more like arpeggios to me and let them ring! There are many notes sound like staccato because of unnecessary rest stroke and letting go off too soon fretted finger. If you want to ring a note in full tempo, fretted finger need to stay in full tempo. You let fretted finger go off too soon (before ring those note fully in tempo) to move another.

Sor Allegretto: Fretted finger consideration as I mentioned above. You are damping treble string unnecessarily with plucking finger to make staccato.

I'm sorry if my observation isn't formal and nice to you. My whole intention is to give you clear observation from me. I suggest you to ask Dr. Ramon Amira in this forum about RH concern. The way he explains about CG pedagogy(medical approach) is so valuable and right to me. I can't believe this wonderful teacher is giving advice for free.

Last edited by Ken Kim on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 am
Ken your constructive analysis is excellent. I am most appreciative that you take the time to assess my playing. Your comments are always most helpful. I really am very grateful that I am in the same group as you, as I benefit from your constructive criticism and also from watching your hand positions in your videos - both are most helpful. Some of my pieces were taped a while ago, as I knew I would be away and unable to tape the pieces.

Again, thank you for this analysis. I think all the members of this group will benefit from it. I definitely have to work on my RH - bad habits are hard to reverse.

Best, Judy.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 pm
Ken Kim wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 am
Ken your constructive analysis is excellent. I am most appreciative that you take the time to assess my playing. Your comments are always most helpful. I really am very grateful that I am in the same group as you, as I benefit from your constructive criticism and also from watching your hand positions in your videos - both are most helpful. Some of my pieces were taped a while ago, as I knew I would be away and unable to tape the pieces.

Again, thank you for this analysis. I think all the members of this group will benefit from it. I definitely have to work on my RH - bad habits are hard to reverse.

Best, Judy.
That is very nice of you to say you appreciate my observation, Judy. If I get observation like mine to me, honestly, I would be frustrated.
I'd like to share one more tip about sight reading to play faster and in legato.

Best way to play faster is memorizing the whole piece as everybody knows already.

Second solution for better playing is to watch next measure while you are playing current measure. You might know about this already if you have learned any other instrument for certain level. It is very simple to say it and short memory training but it might not be easy to do it at first.

Try to look at next measure to prepare for what comes next. Train your brain to memorize next whole or half measure and let your fingers play current one.

I believe most pro musicians does this when they see score for the first time to play because that's what I've been trained myself as a soloist. It might be more measures to memorize faster as you train yourself more as a habit. If you train like this, you will memorize whole piece effortlessly. I never meant to memorize piece ever and I never knew it would work for CG.

Hope it helps you to enjoy guitar better.

Cheers,
Ken

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:38 pm

They actually sound better in person. LOL. Anyway, I'm still nursing an out of control RH pinky.

Andante Affettuoso

C Major Scale

Allegretto No. 2, Opus 114
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 am

Mike Cook wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:38 pm
They actually sound better in person. LOL. Anyway, I'm still nursing an out of control RH pinky.

Andante Affettuoso
C Major Scale
Allegretto No. 2, Opus 114
Great playing, Mike. Very soothing for Both pieces.
Very rhythmical performance.

Here comes my observation.

Andante Affettuoso: I didn't see single thumb damping for open bass string. As you can see mine, I do lots of thumb damping on bass notes as noted. It is strange it sounds like you don't need to damp. I had to damp open bass string on my submission because it will still ring to next measure.
I really liked you did rest stroke on some single notes. It stood out very well.
There was some cut-off between notes but it wouldn't be a problem since you are progressing very fast.
I suggest you to plant RH thumb lightly on bass string when you do free stroke (when your thumb isn't in use). It will give you more confident and relaxed strokes from i-m-a.

Allegretto No. 2, Opus 114: Sul Tasto and Sul Ponticello. Maybe it is time for me to try like you did. Nicely done. I can't move RH position easily like you do yet.

Ken

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Ken - It is so kind of you to take the time to share your very thoughtful feedback. It is both encouraging and helpful. I am surprised by how a video can be so revealing of details that are hard to realize while playing. I'll go back and check on the damping. I need to make time in the future to participate in the constructive interaction of this forum.

One thing for sure, I am having a blast with this program. I have quickly learned that I am not as good as I thought! LOL!!

Decamp is so much fun. I'm enjoying the musical selections too!

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Judy & Ken - I'm starting to feel that RH technique is the hardest part of the playing quality of classical guitar. At least for me, it seems to be. The finger movement, as Ken describes is very important and it is hard to do if your hand is not a proper distance from the strings. Too close and your fingers can't strike the string properly. Judy - watching your videos, I would recommend focusing on this one. I am constantly adjusting back to correct form as my hand wants to migrate back into a scrunched position. Ken's recommendation of resting the thumb on a bass string when not in use can help with this.

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Ken - I was thinking about your bass string damping observation. One damping technique I use is to dampen a string with the nail side of my thumb. For example, after striking the 5th string and proceeding to strike the 4th string, I'll begin the thump movement between the strings, damping the 5th while prepping for the 4th. It works well for me, although I don't know if is a proper technique.

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 pm
I'm starting to feel that RH technique is the hardest part of the playing quality of classical guitar
YES

For me the left hand is actually effortless.. it has a simple job, fret notes.

Right hand, by comparison has many jobs and is the main source of your tone so it is always requiring close care.

Slow and steady!
Cordoba CP110

My Recordings - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-W3NpaFshy3huro7AAFVgf

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:11 pm
Ken - I was thinking about your bass string damping observation. One damping technique I use is to dampen a string with the nail side of my thumb. For example, after striking the 5th string and proceeding to strike the 4th string, I'll begin the thump movement between the strings, damping the 5th while prepping for the 4th. It works well for me, although I don't know if is a proper technique.
Mike
Mike - That sounds better damping than mine. I've seen many pros do what you described. I really didn't hear much unnecessary bass notes still ringing in next measure anyway. I am not sure there is a proper technique or form to damp open string. If you can damp efficiently with any form, I believe it is fine.
I'm pretty much focused on damping thru Delcamp lesson. There are tons of different method out there and none of them introduce damping for beginner. I'll look closely next time.

Mike Cook wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 pm
I'm starting to feel that RH technique is the hardest part of the playing quality of classical guitar
Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:13 pm
YES
For me the left hand is actually effortless.. it has a simple job, fret notes.
Right hand, by comparison has many jobs and is the main source of your tone so it is always requiring close care.
Slow and steady!
I don't even practice much for RH. I don't even do Giulliani 120, but I consider 3 subjects currently; Tone production, alternation, and light movement(relaxed), on RH.
IMO, Light movement for RH would be most important for us at this level.
I find my LH can't follow RH yet. LH is always slower than RH for me.
Ken

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”