D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:42 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
The rest stroke is a way to play the string with a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to move until it comes to rest on the adjacent string. Working on this technique will allow you to discover the best position for your plucking hand (the right hand if you are right-handed).
If you are already used to plucking the strings with free strokes, the simultaneous rest strokes with the thumb and a finger will seem difficult to you, even impossible. But be assured, with patience and perseverence, this difficulty will be resolved in 30 minutes. I know from experience that the first tries are truly discouraging, particularly for adults. It is for this reason that I wish to reassure you in advance, take heart, you will be able to do it.
Page 26 : Jean-François Delcamp - Polyphony
Page 58 : Jean-François Delcamp - Rest stroke, number 15.

Finally, we'll look at 4 simple tunes, pages 27 to 28. These tunes will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
Antonio Cano-Curriella : Leccion I (Rest stroke)
Pascual Roch : Exercices de simple alternation (Rest stroke) [No video provided]
Anonyme : Donne-moi la fleur (Rest stroke)

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Jean-François Delcamp : Polyphonie, numero 2 (Rest stroke)
Antonio Cano-Curriella : Leccion I (Rest stroke)
Pascual Roch (1860-1921) : Exercices de simple alternation (Rest stroke)

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam Qualifying submissions:

Polyphonie
Leccion I
Exercices de simple alternation

Christopher Langley
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Judy Verbeeten
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Jono Diel
Polyphonie
Leccion I

James A. Showalter
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Mike Cook
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Robert Drechsler
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Staffan Strömberg
Polyphonie
Leccion I

William Byrd
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Ian Howe
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Michael McClenney
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Graham Gaya
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Aaron Haskett
Polyphonie
Leccion I

Paul Cezanne
Polyphonie
Leccion I
:( + ♫ = :)

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:30 am

My Recordings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-33zafCSUfVPpFWHgyh-LZ

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:30 am
Hi Chris,

Nice job as usual. The only thing I noticed was on the alternation exercise No 1, you skipped a measure. You only performed the first measure and then the quarter note and rest, rather than two full measures, which should be repeated, followed by the quarter note rest.

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm

Hey Chris, nice work!!
I am a bit confused on the bpm at Polyphony N2 it is written 132. if I set my Metronome to 132 its like a rabbit. what speed is it?

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm
Hey Chris, nice work!!
I am a bit confused on the bpm at Polyphony N2 it is written 132. if I set my Metronome to 132 its like a rabbit. what speed is it?
Robert,

I am reading it as 132 per quarter note. Most of the piece uses half notes, so the half notes would be played at equivelant of 66 bpm. That is, one half note every other beat (at the 132 bpm).

Does that make sense? I hope that helps.

Alan
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Hey Alan,
thank you very much, solved my problem... Looks like i have to invest some time to read notations ;-)

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Chris,

Nice job! I believe you mentioned having taking this course before. If you do not mind, how much time you put into these pieces?

Alan
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Well done Chris!

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:01 pm
Hi Chris,

Nice job as usual. The only thing I noticed was on the alternation exercise No 1, you skipped a measure. You only performed the first measure and then the quarter note and rest, rather than two full measures, which should be repeated, followed by the quarter note rest.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Thanks, and nice observation.. I totally missed the repeats somehow. I can rerecord it, if necessary.
Alan Burns wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm
Chris,

Nice job! I believe you mentioned having taking this course before. If you do not mind, how much time you put into these pieces?

Alan
Alan.. I'm really not sure, lets just say I've definitely got them memorized and I've played them a lot over a period of time.. and that I'm still playing and refining them.. the pieces that is, the exercises I honestly play only a few times, but I do make sure that I can play them well before moving on from them. Once I record them I'm usually done with them.

Now, the only catch is a lot of that time I spent playing these pieces I was playing with the wrong fingers.. err I got into the habit of just using whichever finger. Reprogramming in alternation is proving very difficult.. I am having to meet myself half-way some times with some of the parts that I really hammered into myself. I'm starting to realize it's not really worth it to reprogram the old material.. It really confuses the fingers, but I didn't know any better.

Once I get past Sor Op 60 Lesson 1 I will be hitting brand new material for the first time in a long while. I've been in review mode while trying to retrain my fingers to alternate.

Better believe I will be playing everything with the right fingers from the get go while learning from here on out. It's so worth the extra touch of time. I could kick myself for ever practicing a bad habit.. but, so it goes.
Staffan Strömberg wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm
Well done Chris!
Thanks buddy.
My Recordings

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 am

Thanks Chris for starting things off. Here are my submissions for Lesson 05.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 am

Well done Chris. Great speed on Alternation Exercise No. 2. Talk about the tortoise (me) and the hare (you).

I notice that you like your guitar tilted into towards you, and not vertically flat as is usual for classical guitar players - is that a preference from acoustic/electric guitar-playing days?

Judy

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:41 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 am
Well done Chris. Great speed on Alternation Exercise No. 2. Talk about the tortoise (me) and the hare (you).

I notice that you like your guitar tilted into towards you, and not vertically flat as is usual for classical guitar players - is that a preference from acoustic/electric guitar-playing days?

Judy
Thanks Judy. Don't worry about speed, you'll get there. Nothing wrong with slow and steady.

On the tilt, nice observation. Basically, I just don't pay attention and never had a teacher.

I have found I have to lean forward a touch if I want my guitar to stand upright. In my videos I'm just sitting up straight and letting the guitar come back a bit. It's a little more ergonomic on back and my right hand and arm and it allows me to cheat and to easily see what either hand is doing. It also allows my fat arm to sit more on the face of the guitar and less on the edge.

The main downside is that it can make the left hand a touch more difficult, particularly barre chords require more work the more it's rolled back. I noticed that if I roll the guitar forward to where it should be barres are significantly easier.. Luckily all I have to do is just lean forward a bit and I'm back into "proper" posture, so it's not really too big of a deal. Plus, I do find myself sitting more and more upright, my tilt is much more minimized now than it was 2 weeks ago when I recorded my submissions. It's something I've started to pay attention to.
My Recordings

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 am
Nicely done Judy. :bravo:
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 pm

:casque: Good Job Judy :casque:

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 am
Try playing lesson 1 with rest strokes (fingers and thumb) and try to be mindful to not cut any notes short.
You also use the same finger twice at one point.

Still, a good submission.
My Recordings

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”