String ties

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
pasigenyo

String ties

Post by pasigenyo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:25 pm

I just used a set of string ties that were given to me by my luthier for the first time. I'd like to find out if anyone uses these on a regular basis and what their thoughts and experiences are. Aside from preventing scratches on the guitar top (when the strings suddenly slide off the bridge and lashes the soundboard), did these contribute to any changes/improvements to the guitar's sound and/or the strings' tension? Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beowulf

Re: String ties

Post by Beowulf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 pm

I use them and have for years. I have not noticed any change in the sound, however I do experience a slightly greater resistance to right hand finger strokes. The strings recover a bit more quickly after being displaced. I like this. Whether or not you do will depend on your instrument and right hand technique.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

brad4d8

Post by brad4d8 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm

I use them, have for a few years. Got them to see if there was a difference in sound or playability. Not sure if there is any, but I have them, so I use them.
Brad

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Let me just point out that if the holes in the bridge's tie-block are low enough, these little buttons will touch (or even press down on) the top of the guitar.
If this is the case, it's probably not enough to really hurt the guitar, but it's probably also not necessary.
Steve

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback. So far, I have the string ties on for about 3 days and I feel the string tensions are a bit looser (i.e. not good). Not sure how exactly to describe it, but the trebles now sound a bit metallic. Rather than increased resistance, I feel the strings vibrate all over the place and are harder to manage while playing. These may just all be in my head, but I may just take them off and go back to tying the strings on the tie block.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:47 pm

pasigenyo wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm
Thanks for the feedback. So far, I have the string ties on for about 3 days and I feel the string tensions are a bit looser (i.e. not good). Not sure how exactly to describe it, but the trebles now sound a bit metallic. Rather than increased resistance, I feel the strings vibrate all over the place and are harder to manage while playing. These may just all be in my head, but I may just take them off and go back to tying the strings on the tie block.
This may have to do with the design of the ties you are using: they extend rather far out from the back of the tie block and may not be quite as secure as other designs. Check out the Rosette String Ties:
Diamond Secure String Ties.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:28 pm

I tried and compared. It depends on your preference. Anyway, it is easier to change strings.

Same feeling, the strings are looser. Looks like strings' tension lower. I prefer to lower strings' tension.
2014 Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, Cedar/BRW
2015 Paulino Bernabe Torres 645, Spruce/Birds-Eye MP+Ebony
2015 Juan Hernandez Torres 640, Spruce/IRW
2016 German V. Rubio Concert 635, Spruce/Flamed MP
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 630, DT (S/C, Lattice)/Flamed MP

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 am

Beowulf wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:47 pm

This may have to do with the design of the ties you are using: they extend rather far out from the back of the tie block and may not be quite as secure as other designs. Check out the Rosette String Ties:

Diamond Secure String Ties.jpg
I suspect the same thing. Thanks.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”