Practicing Tremolo

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
guitarist_le

Practicing Tremolo

Post by guitarist_le » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm

So I started learning tremolo around this time last year and tremolo'ing on the high e string, I got pretty much down. It's the B string that's killing me. I'm comfortable with planting and speed bursts, but can't keep it up for long and I feel as if I am constantly relearning this every night of practice. Sometimes I hear my nails click more often then the note itself, this doesn't happen on the high e though.

I keep my metronome on to practice (80 - 120bpm), and I use the first part of Recuerdos De La Alhambra as an additional tool. (Is it normal to change right hand position when change from the e to B string?)

Any tips or songs to make practicing a little more fun? How long did it take you to get awesome at tremolo on the B string? Did you learn speed, volume or evenness first?

Just wanna say again that I love this forum :) I have no one to talk classical techniques about lol :discussion: :chitarrista:

Terpfan

Re: Practicing Tremolo

Post by Terpfan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm

I am sure many people here might disagree but for me, tilting the wrist a little more like Segovia position sounded better for me. Just for tremolo.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am

Most of the problem is the limited room on the other strings. Everybody's tremolo is better on the E string so the trick is to practice it solely on the B string. Nail shape/length and wrist angle affect tremolo enormously so you need to experiment but do persist with only practising on the B string. I get students to practise using chords - not pieces.
Classical guitar teacher

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am

Julian Ward wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am
Most of the problem is the limited room on the other strings. Everybody's tremolo is better on the E string so the trick is to practice it solely on the B string. Nail shape/length and wrist angle affect tremolo enormously so you need to experiment but do persist with only practising on the B string. I get students to practise using chords - not pieces.
I go along with just getting used the technique with familiar chord progressions. That way one can focus on the right hand. For me, it is similar doing workouts on scales and arpeggios before working on actual pieces.

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Terpfan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm
I am sure many people here might disagree but for me, tilting the wrist a little more like Segovia position sounded better for me. Just for tremelo.
Do you mean tilting the wrist more forward?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 pm

guitarist_le wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm
So I started learning tremolo around this time last year and tremolo'ing on the high e string, I got pretty much down. It's the B string that's killing me. I'm comfortable with planting and speed bursts, but can't keep it up for long and I feel as if I am constantly relearning this every night of practice. Sometimes I hear my nails click more often then the note itself, this doesn't happen on the high e though.

I keep my metronome on to practice (80 - 120bpm), and I use the first part of Recuerdos De La Alhambra as an additional tool. (Is it normal to change right hand position when change from the e to B string?)

Any tips or songs to make practicing a little more fun? How long did it take you to get awesome at tremolo on the B string? Did you learn speed, volume or evenness first?

Just wanna say again that I love this forum :) I have no one to talk classical techniques about lol :discussion: :chitarrista:
Forget RDLA, too long. Learn to play short passages of pieces by Maestro Võ Tá Hân.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:52 pm

guitarist_le wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:07 pm
Terpfan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm
I am sure many people here might disagree but for me, tilting the wrist a little more like Segovia position sounded better for me. Just for tremelo.
Do you mean tilting the wrist more forward?
More to the right. Playing more perpendicular to the strings. Just a slight adjustment could help a lot. Just from my experience. Not taught.

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:58 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 pm
Forget RDLA, too long. Learn to play short passages of pieces by Maestro Võ Tá Hân.
Will do! Hey, and he Vietnamese, as am I. I haven't heard about any classical guitarists from Vietnam. This is great stuff :)

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:49 am

bacsidoan wrote:
If I'm allowed to recommend some of my own music:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74399

I once wrote a set of progressive tremolo pieces/exercises. This is the last of them but it should still be relatively easy to play. I never got aroudn to publish the otehrs anywhere. Maybe it's time for me to do it now.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Julian Ward wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am
That’s interesting, Julian. I had been practicing it using the b string and then my teacher said to first practice on the e to get evenness, articulation and same dynamic. After doing that, further refine the motions by practicing it on the b string. He said in his experience, when people started on the b string,they restricted their motions too much to keep control and introduced tension, or ended up having a weaker sounding tremolo.

I just use Carcassi study #2. I already knew the chords, so I don’t need to think about the left hand. I start the session just on open strings and after everything seems to be working, then I use the study.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes...more than one way to skin a cat! For the more experienced players, the Barrios pieces are better in that much more of the tremolo is on the first string even though the compositions are far more tricky to learn. To be honest RDLA is so old hat and massively overplayed...it's a bit like the equivalent of 'Stairway to Heaven'.. And it is really RDLA that everyone complains about that second string!
Classical guitar teacher

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:02 pm

My choice for a tremolo piece would be Una Limosna, or Campañas de Alba. I have no desire to work on RDLA.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Limosna is lovely. I just don't play it enough to keep it in the long term memory, :( (In other words I keep forgetting it)
Classical guitar teacher

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:27 am

Frank Nordberg wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:49 am
bacsidoan wrote:
I once wrote a set of progressive tremolo pieces/exercises. This is the last of them but it should still be relatively easy to play. I never got aroudn to publish the otehrs anywhere. Maybe it's time for me to do it now.
Will definitely check out. So i learned tonight that in picture 2 things sound a little clearer and louder to play but my nails get caught easier. Pic 1 is how I normally play before I move on, which one do you think is the correct way. Ive seen John Williams have more of a verticle approach and abandons the arpeggio position (diagnol on the string)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:37 am

Another view. Adds a little more stress on the hand and hard to continue for long, but I couldve been practicing wrong the whole time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”