D shaped necks and C shaped necks

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
guitarist_le

D shaped necks and C shaped necks

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm

So I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology here but I was playing an Alhambra the other day and the neck was flat on where my thumb should. Not that it was uncomfortable, but definitely weird. I remember these being on electric Ibanez's. My next purchase is going to be a Paco Castillo 204 and since some of the luthiers worked with Alhambra, would all the necks be like this? Is this a standard for Alhambra and Castillo or do I have a choice?

Thanks

Stephen Faulk

Re: D shaped necks and C shaped necks

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 am

People were just talking about this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=122956

They made a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be. Fatter necks give the impression that they are harder to play, it's not that, it's your individual hand size and mechanics. Just get what you like. Make some mental notes and then ask the person making your guitar if that sounds like something they can do. If you're getting something that's more of a stock guitar model, something all the dealers will take as trade level instrument, then just talk to the dealer. If they've had a few of them come through their shop they should be able to talk about details.

The nomenclature of description I relate to isn't C vs. D shape, but as you said it, from flat to curved, all neck profiles in modern guitars are basically some iteration of a D shape. And there are guitars with necks that feel like they have a small flatness in the middle of the back of the neck, and it can be annoying unless you like that kind of neck. Most necks are rounded entirely-

The thing about the concept of D vs. C is that it's highly subjective, not because D vs. C necks don't exist,but that guitarists can never agree upon a font style to use to standardize judgment over what constitutes a 'D' or a 'C' - Are we talking about a New Times Roman 'D' a Palatino 'C' or a Bold Arial 'D' ....

That's a graphic design joke..s0rry wrOng topic.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:48 am

Haha!! Cool man. Thanks for the response. Yeah I dont want the flatness, but all Alhambras I played do have a flat spot and Im hoping Castillos are just round. Its what Im used to. Ill def check out the other page too.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:44 pm

An example of the differences from another thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=122956&hilit=neck+shape#p1310648
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Neck notes

My first guitar used a flat backed neck profile. I sure love it from first playing. I just found it natural as I was working it with the sure form rasp.

On my Mk-II I first formed the two angles and then radiosed the edges accordingly. See drawing a and b. I don't like it as much as the flat backed neck but I used a much heaver wood so I'm not sure what the differences are I am feeling.

How about this, the last neck profile on my note card. My fingers are so smooth from all this wood working that I find keeping my thumb from slipping around an issue. I was thinking a resese would help the thumb stay centered or rather not slip out of place and then structurally having more material on the corners would lend itself to less potential for warping?

I know I'm heading off the beaten path...

HR
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm

I like a fat round neck.

All these skinny necks just put more strain on my thumb while doing barres.

I wish I could add material to most of my necks.

I wish they would leave them fat.. It's easier to remove material then to add it back!

I have average sized hands.
Let there be songs to fill the air.

RedCliff

Post by RedCliff » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 pm

A flatter D shape allows you to make a thinner neck all things being equal. In a world where the quality or cedar and mahogany is on the decline and is light we and weaker it is therefore a way of making a neck proportionally stronger. I'm not saying it is better, just that it does have some benefits in terms of longevity of the instrument.
Giles Ratcliffe
Sheffield
England

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:31 am

I posted this on another similar thread about neck shapes...

I have large hands ( xl or xxl gloves ) but my fingers
are not very flexible. Tight tendons/ligaments even with
a lot of stretching exercises.

"D" profile is a big plus for me.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm
I like a fat round neck.

All these skinny necks just put more strain on my thumb while doing barres.

I wish I could add material to most of my necks.

I wish they would leave them fat.. It's easier to remove material then to add it back!

I have average sized hands.
I agree. Sometimes people think strat neck works on a classical.....yuck.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 am

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 am

... Sometimes people think strat neck works on a classical.....yuck.
Who, Yngwie Malmsteen?
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Return to “Luthiers”