Greeting from north Georgia

LK51

Greeting from north Georgia

Post by LK51 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Hello All,

New to the forum here. I have played guitar since 1963, mostly focusing on acoustic with a fair amount of electric along the way. My first (and until recently only) nylon string guitar was a Tiempo “imported” classical that I got in 1964 to relieve my fingers from the “pawn shop” Silvertone archtop that I began learning on.

I moved from strumming folk chords to finger picking and learning a few rock leads. My first serious guitar was a Martin D35S which I scrimped and saved to purchase in the summer of 1972. It’s still with me and I played it only a few minutes before writing this post.

I’m recently retired and now that I have lots of time to play was disappointed to find that my fingertips were less able to tolerate long stretches of playing my steel strings. This past summer I moved back to nylon strings after finding a Cordoba Orchestra CE that I loved the tone and feel of. Since then I’ve been adapting my technique and experimenting with string combinations.

Lately I’ve been mostly arranging some familiar old tunes for finger picking on the Cordoba (e.g. “La Vie en Rose,” “Walk On By,” “Eleanor Rigby,” “Ashokan Farewell”) and working on a bit of original music. My guitar heroes include Stephen Stills, Leo Kottke, Mark Knopfler, George Harrison and many, many others.

While I’m not a classical guitarist, I do appreciate and respect the talent exhibited by those who are. I’m looking forward to learning from the forum members and sharing experiences with playing and maintaining these beautiful instruments.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greeting from north Georgia

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Hello LK51 and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Welcome LK51,
Glad that you’re inspired to play the nylon string guitar. Finger style is great. Check out Muriel Anderson who sells her arrangements. Why Worry, Vincent, and others might be interesting for you to learn. She sends them in both TAB and standard notation.
Are you near Helen, GA? Gainesville?
I’m a UGA grad so I am very fond of GA!!
All the best and welcome to Delcamp!!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

LK51

Post by LK51 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks for the info JD. Definitely interested in an arrangement of Vincent, what a beautiful piece. Will certainly check out Muriel Anderson.

UGA grad myself, and now live pretty close to Athens (Monroe). Used to have friends that lived in "the church" before the guys from REM came along. Saw B.B. King in the coliseum in 1971. Go Dawgs.
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra
1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 am

LK51 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:59 pm
Thanks for the info JD. Definitely interested in an arrangement of Vincent, what a beautiful piece. Will certainly check out Muriel Anderson.

UGA grad myself, and now live pretty close to Athens (Monroe). Used to have friends that lived in "the church" before the guys from REM came along. Saw B.B. King in the coliseum in 1971. Go Dawgs.
Only a few people know about ‘the church’. Bet we knew the same people. I was in the Landscape Architecture dept. Send me a PM!!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Return to “Introduce yourself”