ernandez Mk-II The neck et al

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Matthew Masail

Re: ernandez Mk-II The neck et al

Post by Matthew Masail » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 am

It's a sickness really. Is there a cure? I had to laugh the other day when on someone posted on another thread about being " in the wood hoarding stage" of guitar making. Truth be told, it seems I'm I the guitar making stage of classical guitar making.

H R
That would be me (-: your posts remind me of myself a lot as in I am also a furniture maker just starting in guitars and I tend to cut up batches of wood at this point and make prototypes. It is a really fun endevour isn't it?

I really like the tiger oak finger board , it would look good on a high end guitar easily . Looking forward to your finished build !

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am

Matthew Masail wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 pm
ernandez R wrote:

It's a sickness really. Is there a cure? I had to laugh the other day when on someone posted on another thread about being " in the wood hoarding stage" of guitar making. Truth be told, it seems I'm I the guitar making stage of classical guitar making.

H R
That would be me (-: your posts remind me of myself a lot as in I am also a furniture maker just starting in guitars and I tend to cut up batches of wood at this point and make prototypes. It is a really fun endevour isn't it?

I really like the tiger oak finger board , it would look good on a high end guitar easily . Looking forward to your finished build !
Thanx Matt it's all fun in love and wood! Tiger oak came from old shipping pallet leg of all things.

Had to replace the bridge on my Mk-II case it was too thin and weak foto is with a coat of linseed oil. Learning more each time. Ground it off and made up a new more robust one of a harder part of the hickory I have stashed in the attic of my shop. Put the strings back on and played it for a couple hours. Put it away the jumped back on her again and was stunned how much better it sounded. Notinced the first one really came on after only three hours this one took a little longer. Almost magical how it seems to,start humming together.

I glued up two sets of side wood today, I am building three at go this time: the Mk-III. I wrote up a new thread but it went away before I cod post it :/

Other photo is a stick of tail and heal blocks with the six sides resting in my form.

HR
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am
Matthew Masail wrote:
ernandez R wrote:

H R

Thanx Matt it's all fun in love and wood! Tiger oak came from old shipping pallet leg of all things.

Had to replace the bridge on my Mk-II case it was too thin and weak foto is with a coat of linseed oil. Learning more each time. Ground it off and made up a new more robust one of a harder part of the hickory I have stashed in the attic of my shop. Put the strings back on and played it for a couple hours. Put it away the jumped back on her again and was stunned how much better it sounded. Notinced the first one really came on after only three hours this one took a little longer. Almost magical how it seems to,start humming together.

I glued up two sets of side wood today, I am building three at go this time: the Mk-III. I wrote up a new thread but it went away before I cod post it :/

Other photo is a stick of tail and heal blocks with the six sides resting in my form.

HRimage.jpeg
I guess you are a head of me by a couple guitars! great for you! I wonder why you say the bridge was too weak? If you need good wood for bridges, I have plenty and would be happy to send you some.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:39 am

Matthew Masail wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 pm
ernandez R wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am
Matthew Masail wrote:

HRimage.jpeg
I guess you are a head of me by a couple guitars! great for you! I wonder why you say the bridge was too weak? If you need good wood for bridges, I have plenty and would be happy to send you some.
Matt,

Thanx for the offer. I just used the wrong part of a strip of hickory, the light colored wood is much softer then the dark and I thought it would look better. It did, but it was too soft and I made it too thin. My top is too thin. My fret board agle is too hi so my saddle is 15 mm of the top which is too high. Starting to see a pattern no?

The too high a,saddle is causing too much torque and that was pushing the middle forward of the bridge downward. My D strings was buzzing, so I would shim the saddle with .006 card stock, it would fix it for a bit but it would start to bus again, shim buzz shim buzz, only after adding each shim it only made the torque factor increase. Doesn't a leanth of the arm increase the force to the square root... Ha, gotta love the challenge. So a made a super beafy bridge wider longer fatter.

Still, what I really need to do is remove the frets and plane the finger board accordingly. frets don't come out of my oak nice.

Thinking my top is too thin in the middle also. I need to make up an easy thickness gage now that I'm getting more involved in the process.

Hope this helps.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:25 pm

image.jpeg
Well I did it. I took down my second build, pulled the frets, singled the fretboard accordingly, then refretted knowing I would only have enough material for the 12th fret, and a reduced tang mostly glued on 13th. Next time I Chang strings I will add a half fret or tow for the eBG strings mostly glued in place.

I had to do something or the torque from the 17.5mm string highth wt the saddle was going to turn the top inside out.

Tone is much more tame and some odd unwanted resonances are there no more. I can tell I've got my fret game up a couple notches from where I started. 3.2 mm at the twelfth fret and 11 of the top next to the bridge. Top plate is less of a wave now. Mid resin Augusta strings, the red pack I think? Nope, La Bella 2001 medium tension on this one.

Played just a bit and I've got a click on the 4th string coming from the saddle wh en I really hammer it a la Pulgar. Think I'll need to double hole them to get a little more angle. It's always something but now I know why the double hole is used. Had always thought it was to keep the strings from onwinding but I know better now.

My Mk-I is at 13mm at the saddle so m thinking she is next. Nothing like learning to repair guitars on your own builds ;)

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 am

Just stumbled on this one.

Good stuff buddy!
Let there be songs to fill the air.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:49 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 am
Just stumbled on this one.

Good stuff buddy!
Thanx! Not sure how I let the fretboard angle get away from me on this one. It's really nice now plays nicer. Action still could be tuned up just a little closer but I'll let her settle out a bit before doing anything else. Read somewhere that Hiuser III and his sister build a guitar, then let it sit for three months before completing the finish, then they let it sit two years before dilevering it. I'm learning a lot about patience that's for sure. I'm not a patient man by nature but it's coming to me. Slowly ;)

I'll give this one a few weeks at least then start thinking about the finish. The bare wood is getting a little grubby around the edges from playing, it's rough I know.

HR

Return to “Luthiers”