D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Time for me to move on-

Here is the last part of my submission for Lesson-5:

Antonio Cano-Curriella Leccion-1

James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:01 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:16 pm
Time for me to move on-

Here is the last part of my submission for Lesson-5:
Not an easy piece to play for novice students such as ourselves, but well executed.

Now on to lesson 06.

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Looking and sounding good, James. You have really improved your rhythm compared to the earlier lessons.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:55 pm

You have really improved your rhythm compared to the earlier lessons.
Thanks.
1972 Morris No. 12
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 am

[/quote]
I would mention however that to my ear, your guitar sounded a bit out of tune. Something to be aware of, especially when we do our final exam submissions.
Bill
[/quote]

Thank you Bill,
My problem is, if I play a ton ten times it sounds different every time... most difficult on Notes which are played with thumb.

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 05. I'm not super happy with Leccion 1, but it was the best I could manage. I'm impressed with all your submissions for this one, this was not easy.

Polyphonie 2

Simple Alternation 1 + 2 (one video)

Leccion 1

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:13 pm

Staffan Strömberg wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm
Here are my submissions for lesson 05. I'm not super happy with Leccion 1, but it was the best I could manage. I'm impressed with all your submissions for this one, this was not easy.
Hi Staffan,

Very good job of damping the strings on the rest stroke exercise. Not an easy task. Additionally, your alternation exercises were well executed. It was a very good attempt on Leccion 1. I too am struggling with that piece. I currently have a recording ready to post but decided to give it one more try this morning to see if I can improve my submission.

One thing I have discovered with the classical guitar, is that there are so many things we have to be cognizant of when playing. It can be very overwhelming at times.

Overall... :bravo:

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Bill.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 pm

Superb effort Staffan.

I thought it most interesting on the alternation exercise how you referenced the string above each iteration by finding it with your thumb first and then calmly reaching for the intended string to play. Very systematic.

As Bill already communicated Leccion-1 is a difficult piece to get right. I think part of it is its length in having 4 distinct parts. For me it was a definite effort to keep up with where the tune had progressed in that sequence. I watched your submission and realized you were having similar difficulty executing each part correctly. Individually each part is not so difficult but cascaded together it becomes a challenge. In the end you did a very good job making a complete presentation of it.

James
1972 Morris No. 12
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:05 am

Hello Classmates,

Here are my January submissions. Like others, I struggled with Leccion 1. I'm sure that with additional practice, I will improve, but for now, this attempt will have to do. Comments are always welcome.

Bill

1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:26 am

Bill,
Very consistent.

The alternation exercises were fast and well executed. It appears that you are more adept with the im/mi alternations than with the ma/am sequences. I noted the same difficulty in my efforts. Getting that a-finger to articulate is just hard but you did a good job with it.

I think my observations about Leccion-1 with yours as well summarize some of the difficulties with getting this composition perfected. I would almost be tempted to record the 4 separate sequences of Leccion-1 and submit them individually to prove my point. Of course that will prove nothing. We are tasked with putting together complete submissions of these pieces with the proper content and length being the final standard and if they are too long then that is part of learning them. You've done a good job.

On to lesson 6.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 am

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:26 am
Bill,
Very consistent.

The alternation exercises were fast and well executed. It appears that you are more adept with the im/mi alternations than with the ma/am sequences. I noted the same difficulty in my efforts. Getting that a-finger to articulate is just hard but you did a good job with it.

I think my observations about Leccion-1 with yours as well summarize some of the difficulties with getting this composition perfected. I would almost be tempted to record the 4 separate sequences of Leccion-1 and submit them individually to prove my point. Of course that will prove nothing. We are tasked with putting together complete submissions of these pieces with the proper content and length being the final standard and if they are too long then that is part of learning them. You've done a good job.

On to lesson 6.
James
Thank you James. Your observations are always welcome.

On a side note, I noticed from surfing this site, that Leccion 1 was actually the final exam piece for D01 four years ago!

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:01 am

On a side note, I noticed from surfing this site, that Leccion 1 was actually the final exam piece for D01 four years ago!
Then we may in time have the opportunity to perfect this piece. Perhaps we should not depart from it as we move on but rather carry it along on our journey.
1972 Morris No. 12
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 pm
Superb effort Staffan.

I thought it most interesting on the alternation exercise how you referenced the string above each iteration by finding it with your thumb first and then calmly reaching for the intended string to play. Very systematic.

As Bill already communicated Leccion-1 is a difficult piece to get right. I think part of it is its length in having 4 distinct parts. For me it was a definite effort to keep up with where the tune had progressed in that sequence. I watched your submission and realized you were having similar difficulty executing each part correctly. Individually each part is not so difficult but cascaded together it becomes a challenge. In the end you did a very good job making a complete presentation of it.

James
Thank you James.
Yeah, the length alone makes it challenging to get through the peice without mistakes. And then it's the added complexity of of using the right fingerings and damping. Do you think lesson six will be easier? :)

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:05 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:05 am
Hello Classmates,

Here are my January submissions. Like others, I struggled with Leccion 1. I'm sure that with additional practice, I will improve, but for now, this attempt will have to do. Comments are always welcome.

Bill
Well done, Bill. Polyphony and the alternations sound really good. You also did a good job with damping the low strings with your thumb.
Leccion 1 is also very good. My only comment is that you sometimes dampen the low E a little bit too early. I think I did that too.
And at the end your left hand thumb is leaving it's home behind the neck. I guess it's not happy to be working behind the stage the whole time :) .

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”