Death of the Renaissance Man/Woman?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Wuuthrad

Re: Death of the Renaissance Man/Woman?

Post by Wuuthrad » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am
pseudo viking
:lol:

So true!

:grire:
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am
Rognvald wrote:Taste in Art, for the most part, is sadly controlled by the LCD Factor: the least common denominator---does it appeal to the masses?
Really? "The least common denominator" ... surely you are not serious? That would be taste arbited by the most uncommon denominator.
The phrase least common denominator potentially has two meanings. You could understand it either as:
least-common denominator, or as
least common-denominator.
In mathematics it has the latter meaning; I guess Rongvald was using it that way. I have always known it as the lowest common denominator - a phrase that is not open to misinterpretation.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:30 pm

pogmoor wrote:I have always known it as the lowest common denominator - a phrase that is not open to misinterpretation.
Touché Pogmoor - I too learned the term as "lowest common denominator" leading me to a far too swift and gleeful response at R's expense, and for which I can only doff my cap, tug the forelock and await his reprimand with good grace.

I did smile at your delicious mispelling though:
pogmoor wrote:Rongvald

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:30 pm
I did smile at your delicious mispelling though:
pogmoor wrote:Rongvald
A Freudian slip no doubt!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:21 am

Nordic History will remind us that Sport and Art shared the same
Throne atop the pinnicals of Mortal Achievement. In fact the words are inseparable...

And certainly anyone who calls themselves a Viking must, for their own sake at least (if not also to spare us their perpétual lack of paragraph indentation and dubious self aggrandizement,) be made aware of it's historically pejorative meaning directed at pillaging raiders and destructive pirates.

High Brow?

Puhleeaze...
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm
People are being bombarded by information these days, some of which is not useful or helpful in anyway. These days it's easier than ever to find the book or the musical album, etc. but also been easier to publish a book (as ebook or hard-copy) or release an album, etc. ....
Bombarded with advertising I would say. The catch phrase from the X-files "the answer is out there" may have some truth in it but with the proviso that the truth/information is almost impossible to find. Those who control the internet, the profilers who sell us to anyone with money, ensure that we see what they want us to see not what we are looking for. There are no doubt wonderful books available but how do you find them?

It is educational to install a couple of ad/tracker blockers and see just how many trackers are following you. What seems like a few years ago (maybe already be 4-8) one of the blockers I experimented with indicated that it had blocked 700-800 different trackers in under an hour. Read the privacy notices on some sites and you will be surprised even if you are a cynic. One site listed close to 400 "partners" which were all trackers of one kind "enhancing your experience".

Finding anything on the internet is now very difficult. Either that or I cannot use search engines. My default search engine is duckduckgo.com which was very satisfying maybe 5-7 years ago. It is still my go-to but the results these days are only marginally different to the google/bing but at least not as cluttered.

I was recently in hotel which had CNN "news" running on big TVs in pretty much every public space. I was thoroughly shocked - hour after hour of repetition of "expert opinions" from a very small number ex-politicians or ex-military "explaining" in sound bites why Trump is so bad. In my 5 or 6 days in the hotel, it did not change. There may have been a few sound bites from "the man in the street" as well but I mainly noticed the "authoritative male voice" type character introduced with 5 sec bio associating him with Gov or Military.

Time to enjoy the weather outside. ....

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm

And, to my usual flock of parakeets, I will leave them with some food for thought in what I imagine must be their very exciting and eventful lives:

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

And, in the words of the great Reverend Al Green . . . Love and Happiness . . . Rognvald

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Al Green - Love and Happiness - Live Performance Video ]
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am

simonm wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm
People are being bombarded by information these days, some of which is not useful or helpful in anyway. These days it's easier than ever to find the book or the musical album, etc. but also been easier to publish a book (as ebook or hard-copy) or release an album, etc. ....
Bombarded with advertising I would say. The catch phrase from the X-files "the answer is out there" may have some truth in it but with the proviso that the truth/information is almost impossible to find. Those who control the internet, the profilers who sell us to anyone with money, ensure that we see what they want us to see not what we are looking for. There are no doubt wonderful books available but how do you find them?

It is educational to install a couple of ad/tracker blockers and see just how many trackers are following you. What seems like a few years ago (maybe already be 4-8) one of the blockers I experimented with indicated that it had blocked 700-800 different trackers in under an hour. Read the privacy notices on some sites and you will be surprised even if you are a cynic. One site listed close to 400 "partners" which were all trackers of one kind "enhancing your experience".

Finding anything on the internet is now very difficult. Either that or I cannot use search engines. My default search engine is duckduckgo.com which was very satisfying maybe 5-7 years ago. It is still my go-to but the results these days are only marginally different to the google/bing but at least not as cluttered.

That's right, good points! I have to add that some very good informative YT videos, tweets, etc are being deleted by YT, twitter, etc - so one should be very "lucky" to find them before somebody deletes it. Meanwhile, I hope we will still have the option of enjoying the outside weather in a couple of years from now.
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 am

:sage:
Rognvald wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm
And, to my usual flock of parakeets, I will leave them with some food for thought in what I imagine must be their very exciting lives
:shock:
Rognvald wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm
Small minds discuss people.
:applauso:

Return to “The Café”