D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 78 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces with a phrase structure of 4 bars. Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.
- page 30 Thoinot ARBEAU (1519-1595) PAVANE
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 78 number 19, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59
I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 (pages 85, 86) regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Judy Verbeeten
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Ken Kim
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Mike Cook
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Linda Kimbrel
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59
:( + ♫ = :)

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Please find my D02 Lecture 06 submissions below:

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm

wrote:"Judy Verbeeten" post_id=1335982 time=1549379953 user_id=95792]
Judy, very nicely done. I admire your accuracy, I have tremendous difficulty getting through a piece without wrong notes creeping in. I am joining you as a student lacking in the virtuosity displayed by our classmate Ken, but applying myself with enthusiasm and optimistic that I will improve.

I am not truly comfortable advising another player in techniques, but it seems to me that your right hand approach is rather stiff, like you are plucking upward at the strings - towards the palm of your hand as though you are flicking a crumb up off your pant leg. This is something I have to consciously resist myself, a tenseness and tightness in the right hand fingers. For me, it helps to think of each finger as a paintbrush, and try to brush the fingertip across the string rather than dig it up by the roots. ☺️

I think Ken talked about keeping the finger joints loose and allowing them to flex, and in that way you also avoid the claw hand attack. Other than the tendency towards stiffness in your rh stroke, I think you are doing really well. The pronounced choppiness or staccato that characterized your earlier playing is much less noticeable. Your notes are flowing more smoothly together and you are holding them for the full duration of each count. I see much improvement there. I would concentrate my energies now on loosening the tension in the right hand and fingers, as this will become increasingly more difficult to correct as time passes.

And please take this all with a grain of salt, it is only what appears to be the case from watching your videos, and we all know appearances can be deceiving. I enjoyed listening to your submissions, if I am making anything like the progress you’ve made then these lessons are well worth the time and effort. I’ve caught up with the assignments I missed, hopefully to keep pace with our Class of 2019 for the rest of this year.

For the record, “Pavane” to my mind must be the dreariest, dullest piece we have been assigned to date. It holds zero appeal for me, and I generally discipline myself to at least play through everything we are tasked with. This one I find depressing and obtuse, and (shh! don’t tell anyone) it’s possible that I won’t even notice that page 30, by chance, slipped out of my score folder and is likely lost.

Linda Kimbrel
(Still pondering on a fitting signature)

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm
Linda, thank you for your valuable and constructive analysis about my RH. That is definitely an issue that you and Ken have correctly identified and is something that I am trying to address. Thank you for taking the time to analyze my playing. Much appreciated.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:19 pm
Very well, Judy. Your playing is getting better for sure and it is very pleasure to listen.
Tempo is very steady and comfortable. I can see your effort and passion. You are doing very well.

As Linda suggested, I agree with her thought. I want to add 1 more thing to concern. I know Dr. Rob MackKilop put his RH pinky to soundboard sometimes while he pluck string. About this pinky on soundboard, I wouldn't agree with him, if he says it is ok to put pinky on soundboard for beginner like us. You will have less soundboard's vibrating which means less volume and timbre. There is a techniq called 'planting' instead of pinky on soundboard. Thread for it here : viewtopic.php?t=43163

SLURS : Sound great and look comfortable to me, but LH pinky stays too far from fretboard. Trill is coming up on D03 and we'd better start with better position.

ANDANTINO : You know I love this piece and love your playing also.

SAUTEUSE opus 59 : You did manage great tempo. You played a wrong note on measure #12 and #16 which is same(B instead of G)

I admire your achievement. :bravo:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:47 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 pm
Ken, you and Linda are terrific 'classmates.' Your critique of my playing is so very helpful. Thank you, once again, for taking the time to evaluate my playing. I truly am most appreciative. I got a lot to work on, and getting this valuable advice helps to steer me in the right direction. Thank you again.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am

Hi, fellow D02 Students.
Here I am again for 3 submissions for 6th lesson.
I'm still working on T. Arbeau Pavane and will upload later.

I'm playing $20 guitar which was damaged badly when I got it from Facebook Marketplace.
This is first guitar that I restored by myself. I'm quite happy with result.
Any comments are welcome.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy :guitare:
Last edited by Ken Kim on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ken

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am

Here I am again for 3 submissions for 6th lesson.
Ken, excellent performance, as per usual. I am learning from watching your perfect right hand position - hardly any movement of the hand, i.e., all in the fingers. Your videos are a pleasure to listen to, and also represent valuable instructional videos for me.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 pm
Ken, excellent performance, as per usual. I am learning from watching your perfect right hand position - hardly any movement of the hand, i.e., all in the fingers. Your videos are a pleasure to listen to, and also represent valuable instructional videos for me.

Judy
Thank you much for you comment, Judy.
It seems I'm becoming a guitar collector more than a player. I had to rescue that cedar guitar from misery.:cornet:
I joined french forum also to get some feedback. French forum members are very nice each other and they don't say much on another student's submission. I'm the one who is too serious about CG.

I doubt that my right hand has perfect position. Watch professional guitarist's or Maestro Delcamp's RH position, not mine. I'm afraid you might learn wrong habit from me. I'm in same level as you and I have no idea whether I'm doing right or wrong. (I do have no idea really and I'm just hoping I am.)

Better videos with better guitars and played it a bit more musical.

Cheers,
Last edited by Ken Kim on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ken

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:17 pm

I joined french forum also to get some feedback.
Ken, this guitar has a warmer and fuller tone. I did notice that your list of guitars is growing. But where can you store these guitars out of harm's way, with little kiddies running around. Moreover, my understanding is that usually husbands who buy more guitars have to find hiding spaces so that their wives don't find out!

I am a member of the Spanish forum also, so that I am already registered before the exam registration rush. I post once a month to keep my account active. My impression is that on the Spanish board, students do interact. It is interesting to see how the number of students in the various levels differs considerably as between the different language boards. D02 on our English board, this year, has a relatively low number of just 4 students this year.

Judy

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 am

Ken, your $20 guitar sounds sweeter than my brand new one! I’m very impressed that you were able to put so much life back into it. You may have a future as a luthier! Listening to your Carcassi piece, I think I am leaving out a couple of notes when I play that song. It could also be that you have added a couple notes that aren’t on the score, but if you have, you have chosen and placed them so seamlessly I think Carcassi himself would approve.

The difference berween your tone and timbre and what I hear on my own recordings is quite extreme. Partly due to my poor audio setup but I think your guitars just sound better. Plus you play them better than I play mine.

I found the meter and phrasing awkward in Carulli’s Andante. I had to count the measures in my head to get anything close to the correct rhythm - “AND” 1 & 2 & 3 & 4. That intro “and” from the previous measure helped keep me on count but it still didn’t sound as natural and “right” as when you play those same measures. I will have to put some more work into this piece now before I’m satisfied. I would like to keep my fingers as loose and relaxed as you do yours but I have many years of muscle memory to retrain. It will get better with time.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 am
Ken, your $20 guitar sounds sweeter than my brand new one! I’m very impressed that you were able to put so much life back into it. You may have a future as a luthier! Listening to your Carcassi piece, I think I am leaving out a couple of notes when I play that song. It could also be that you have added a couple notes that aren’t on the score, but if you have, you have chosen and placed them so seamlessly I think Carcassi himself would approve.
The difference berween your tone and timbre and what I hear on my own recordings is quite extreme. Partly due to my poor audio setup but I think your guitars just sound better. Plus you play them better than I play mine.
I found the meter and phrasing awkward in Carulli’s Andante. I had to count the measures in my head to get anything close to the correct rhythm - “AND” 1 & 2 & 3 & 4. That intro “and” from the previous measure helped keep me on count but it still didn’t sound as natural and “right” as when you play those same measures. I will have to put some more work into this piece now before I’m satisfied. I would like to keep my fingers as loose and relaxed as you do yours but I have many years of muscle memory to retrain. It will get better with time.
Linda, I hope not to start building guitar although I really want to! :lol:
I didn't add any note to Carcassi and all I did was to move RH position to make different tones. Please, try to listen Maestro Delcamp's and my demo again with score and I didn't find any note other than score. As I mentioned in earlier lesson, my recording setup is probably most reasonable because it is my phone Galaxy S7 and Rode VideoMicme$48 attached directly to phone. No app used to make some effect or anything. Procedure is simple as record, then cut the feed as wanted and upload to YouTube. You are lucky to have a iphone, which has more and better selections than mics for android. It would be worth to get a good mic for your continued enjoyment. Don't get stressed too much because you will get better and you are getting better. Just don't miss daily practice. It is better to play everyday at least 5-10 mins even though you don't want to play. Progress 1mm every day. That is the goal for me. Look forward to seeing your lesson 06 submissions. :discussion: :bye:
Ken

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Judy - I agree with Ken and Linda. Your LH work is proceeding impressively. You may need to focus more on RH. You are not utilizing your finger joints and rather seem to be plucking the strings outward in an up motion away from the strings. A proper free stroke uses the RH fingernail joints with a follow through toward the subsequent string. Focus on starting the movement from the top joint and move more of the finger, with only small movements of the hand. Also, try to imaging having a very small ball in the palm of your hand to avoid a crunched technique and instead making your hand more relaxed and open. I suggest working on open string arpeggios where you can isolate your attention to the RH.

Your musicality, left hand accuracy, and tone are preceding nicely, but if you don't adjust the RH, you will have some issues down the road.

Mike
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Ken - You have too many guitars!! LOL!!

You continue to play accurately and nicely. IMO it may be time to start thinking about musical expression/musicality. While watching your videos, I get a sense that you are rushing through and playing the notes correctly with both good LH and RH technique, but you are not paying as much attention to the performance of the actual music. Try thinking of the music orginating from your heart, through your fingers, and out to the strings.

Mike
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:26 pm
Ken - You have too many guitars!! LOL!!

You continue to play accurately and nicely. IMO it may be time to start thinking about musical expression/musicality. While watching your videos, I get a sense that you are rushing through and playing the notes correctly with both good LH and RH technique, but you are not paying as much attention to the performance of the actual music. Try thinking of the music orginating from your heart, through your fingers, and out to the strings.

Mike
Oh! Yes, I do, Mike. :lol:
That's what my wife said about articulation and she hated recording in tempo. I did post second with more feeling and little slower than first submissions. If you are talking about 2nd post, that is my current limit on musical expression. I hope it will get better as I continue to learn. :)
Thank you for your observation andlLook forward to seeing your submissions. :merci: :bye:
Ken

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”