D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Aaron Evans
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Aaron Evans » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 am

William Byrd wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 pm
Aaron Evans wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 pm
Here are my submissions. Not as clean as I would have liked but not bad.
Good first effort Aaron. Just curious if you have steel strings on your guitar.

Bill
No sir, nylon. Video was taken with my cell phone so I'm not sure of the quality of the audio.
Prudencio Saez G9

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:15 am

Aaron Evans wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 am
William Byrd wrote:
Aaron Evans wrote:

Bill
No sir, nylon. Video was taken with my cell phone so I'm not sure of the quality of the audio.
Just curious. It kind of sounded like steel strings. What make of guitar are you playing?
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1992 Asturias Custom Build

Aaron Evans

Post by Aaron Evans » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 am

William Byrd wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:15 am
Aaron Evans wrote:
William Byrd wrote:

Bill
Just curious. It kind of sounded like steel strings. What make of guitar are you playing?
Prudencio Saez G9 Spruce.
Prudencio Saez G9

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 am

Aaron Evans wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 am
William Byrd wrote:
Aaron Evans wrote:

Nice! I have looked at those guitars in the past and am really interested in purchasing one at some point. How do you like yours?
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:10 am

Aaron Evans wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:09 pm

I should have warmed up a bit more. New to the capturing my playing on video. Even though no one was home, I still got nervous. Thanks for the comments. I look forward to Lesson 2.
I find the best way to not be nervous is to just keep the tape rolling. Once you've played the piece 10 or 20 times, eventually you forget the camera is recording and you get a good clean take.

Then you edit the video down.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:41 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:10 am
Aaron Evans wrote:

I should have warmed up a bit more. New to the capturing my playing on video. Even though no one was home, I still got nervous. Thanks for the comments. I look forward to Lesson 2.
I find the best way to not be nervous is to just keep the tape rolling. Once you've played the piece 10 or 20 times, eventually you forget the camera is recording and you get a good clean take.

I know there are others that prescribe to the same philosophy Paul. Strange things happen when you hit the record on your phone/computer/ camera...etc.

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

Aaron Evans

Post by Aaron Evans » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:51 am

William Byrd wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 am
Aaron Evans wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 am
William Byrd wrote:

Nice! I have looked at those guitars in the past and am really interested in purchasing one at some point. How do you like yours?
So far I like it very much. It's nicely constructed. Not AAA woods by any means but it looks pretty nice.
Prudencio Saez G9

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:10 am
Aaron Evans wrote:

It's normal for it to take a while to get used to recording and is absolutely a good idea to do a few takes in a row. Often times the second or third take will be a keeper.

However.. 10 to 20 times? Overkill. Especially on a longer piece. If you can't get a recording in three tries you need to stop, slow down, and practice specifically whichever phrase is tripping you up.

After some practice, I give it until the next day to really soak in. Usually the next morning I can knock it out.

Sitting there and messing up over and over trying to do something you aren't quite ready for is a really good way to wind up quite frustrated. Ask me how I know :P

I'm stalled on lesson 7 myself at the moment. O Bella Ciao. I can actually play it well enough to record. I've just been in a bit of a funk and focused on other things. I burned myself out recording it a couple weeks ago and now it's taken me some time to come back to it! I'm learning!

I'm going back and picking one piece from each lesson to keep honed. All of them are too many and winds up redundant, but one from each is doable. The skill level pretty much jumps every lesson.

1-1
Old Mac Donald m
1-2
Frere Jacques m
1-3
Scarborough Fair
1-4
La Cucaracha
1-5
Cano-Curriella: Lesson 1
1-6
Sor: Op. 60 Lesson 1
1-7
O Bella Ciao

Building a little set list! I can't recommend doing the same and memorizing some pieces enough. That way you have things to play if someone asks or you get the opportunity to demo a guitar in a shop or something, you can play without needing sheets of music. Invaluable. Even if it's just old mac donald.
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm

However.. 10 to 20 times? Overkill. If you can't get a recording in three tries you need to stop, slow down, and practice. Usually I give it until the next day to soak in.
Chris is certainly right. If you look at my videos they are virtually mistake free, especially the later ones. But now I'm struggling with Lesson 4...

So I'm slowing down.

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:38 am

Aaron Evans wrote:
Good submission Aaron. You sound good (despite the poor microphone pickup).

Your form/posture looks good, though it's hard to tell fully because of the low camera angle.

Though I think you're supposed to do both the Cordes A Vides on pg 6. Pieces 1 and 2.

I think you're generally below the suggested tempo. You might want to get a free metronome app from web/on computer/on phone, to push your dexterity to master the full speed.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 am

I'm stalled on lesson 7 myself at the moment. O Bella Ciao. I can actually play it well enough to record. I've just been in a bit of a funk and focused on other things. I burned myself out recording it a couple weeks ago and now it's taken me some time to come back to it! I'm learning!
OH, that makes me happy. Not that you're stalled, no, I'm not that mean, but that I can share my stalling with a delcamp friend! I'm stalled on La Cucaracha, Lesson 4.

Lets both hope we get past this soon!

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:55 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 am

OH, that makes me happy. Not that you're stalled, no, I'm not that mean, but that I can share my stalling with a delcamp friend! I'm stalled on La Cucaracha, Lesson 4.

Lets both hope we get past this soon!
That is a very hard piece to get up to tempo Paul!

I stalled on it for quite a while, myself.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Let's move this discussion to the D04 page!

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=124102&p=1336732#p1336732

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Getting a late start here but hoping I can catch up, but if not there's always next year. I just dove into this lesson last night working on pages 6 and 7. Was a little challenging to do some of the techniques to tempo, like damping, alternating i and m, and rest strokes in general. I think I may have developed a few bad habits as far as posture and fingering goes (I tried to play one of the songs I'd learned using alternating i and m after practicing the exercises a bit and it was like learning the song all over again!).

The part I had the most trouble with on page 6 (CORDES A VIDE) was incorporating the thumb (I saw that some said it wasn't necessary to use the thumb at this point but I'd really like to at least give it a shot) I always felt like it was getting in the way. After a bit I felt I could play the first thumb part (measures 7 and 8 ) reasonably well (mostly due to the half notes) but still really struggling with the last 4 measures where you switch from i/m to p and back to i/m on quarter notes while also juggling half notes and damping:

1.jpg

I think I may have been making the damping harder than it needed to be, I just realized this morning that the fingering for the damping is included on the sheet music:

2.jpg

I was trying to do it all with my left hand and jumping to the 4th string without muting the 3rd and then back to the 2nd without hitting the 3rd on the way (again) was a little rough.

Page 7 (SOL LA SI DO) #1 and #2 were ok, a little challenging at first but I think I got the hang of it. Still have a lot to do on #3 though, mostly because of the tempo. I find that when I move to lower strings (like 3 to 4) it’s hard to switch fingers because I want to just keep dragging the one I used across.

Any tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know what the long bowed lines over each set of 4 measures on page 8 (A LA CLAIRE FONTAINE) mean?

3.jpg

Oh, just thought of another question, the count above the music goes “1e 2e 3e 4e”, anyone know what the “e” stands for?
:merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:18 pm
I find that when I move to lower strings (like 3 to 4) it’s hard to switch fingers because I want to just keep dragging the one I used across.

Also, does anyone know what the long bowed lines over each set of 4 measures on page 8 (A LA CLAIRE FONTAINE) mean?

Oh, just thought of another question, the count above the music goes “1e 2e 3e 4e”, anyone know what the “e” stands for?
:merci:
1) I too developed this habit early. It's called raking. It might feel more natural, but from what I underatand it is to be avoided unless specifically called for. With classical we tend to play hard soft hard soft which works for fingers m i m i. If we rake it throws off the hard soft emphasis. Does it matter? Up to you.

I played with raking and did well.. I switched to alternating after some people on here suggested to. I can still play faster if I rake.. So, I'm really kind of undecided about it. Raking feels more stable when doing rest strokes. But, it's impossible to do with free strokes.

2) That signifies a phrase

3) 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and might make more sense to ya.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”