D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
William Byrd
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by William Byrd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:18 pm
Getting a late start here but hoping I can catch up, but if not there's always next year. I just dove into this lesson last night working on pages 6 and 7. Was a little challenging to do some of the techniques to tempo, like damping, alternating i and m, and rest strokes in general. I think I may have developed a few bad habits as far as posture and fingering goes (I tried to play one of the songs I'd learned using alternating i and m after practicing the exercises a bit and it was like learning the song all over again!).
Hi Aaron,

Please try and stick to the I M alternation. It is a classical guitar technique that pretty much everyone will say needs to be adhered to. You won't have professionals, teachers, or more experienced players suggesting you use the raking technique rather than finger alternation.

Best to establish good habits and technique from the beginning if you have a long term view of the classical guitar.

Bill
Last edited by William Byrd on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm
1) I too developed this habit early. It's called raking. It might feel more natural, but from what I underatand it is to be avoided unless specifically called for. With classical we tend to play hard soft hard soft which works for fingers m i m i. If we rake it throws off the hard soft emphasis. Does it matter? Up to you.

I played with raking and did well.. I switched to alternating after some people on here suggested to. I can still play faster if I rake.. So, I'm really kind of undecided about it. Raking feels more stable when doing rest strokes. But, it's impossible to do with free strokes.

2) That signifies a phrase

3) 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and might make more sense to ya.
Thank you Christopher! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, this is very helpful.
William Byrd wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 pm
Please try and stick to the I M alternation. It is a classical guitar technique that pretty much everyone will say needs to be adhered to. You won't have professionals, teachers, or more experienced players suggesting you use the raking technique rather than finger alternation however.

Best to establish good habits and technique from the beginning if you have a long term view of the classical guitar.
Absolutely Bill! Thanks for the advice!
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm

3) 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and might make more sense to ya.
Chris is right, but I wanted to chime in why. It is e because it is French, and is et in French, which is pronounced without the t.

Une et duex trois et quatre et
--
Repeat student D01, Student D02

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm
Chris is right, but I wanted to chime in why. It is e because it is French, and is et in French, which is pronounced without the t.

Une et duex trois et quatre et
Thanks, I love learning little things like this.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 am

Hello fellow D01 Delcampers! Here are my submissions for Lesson 1, any feedback or tips that you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Still struggling with Old Mac Donald, mostly on the D-D-G-G-G D-D-G-G-G bit, my fingers just don't want to move that fast yet (and I missed a damp there :oops:).
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 am
Hello fellow D01 Delcampers! Here are my submissions for Lesson 1, any feedback or tips that you have would be greatly appreciated!

Still struggling with Old Mac Donald, mostly on the D-D-G-G-G D-D-G-G-G bit, my fingers just don't want to move that fast yet (and I missed a damp there :oops:).
Hi Aaron,

Very good first submissions.

A couple of things to point out. Try resting your thumb on the 5th or 6th string when playing your rest strokes. It helps with stability of the right hand in the beginning stages. Also, I noticed that on Old MacDonald, you thumb was not behind the neck of the guitar but over the top. That wasn't the case with Au Claire however. Just be aware of your thumb placement going forward.

Welcome aboard!

Bill
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Welcome Aaron. Nice first submission, good and even tempos.

Watch your left thumb. In Old MacDonald its peeking out up over the neck. Look good in Au Claire though.
Aaron Haskett wrote:
Its seems impossible but that will come with time.
--

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Bill and Paul, thank you both so much for the feedback and encouragement, I'll try to keep that thumb in check. I know you guys are quite a bit further into the lessons, I really appreciate you coming back here and taking the time to watch my submissions and give advice.
:merci:
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:34 pm
Bill and Paul, thank you both so much for the feedback and encouragement, I'll try to keep that thumb in check. I know you guys are quite a bit further into the lessons...
You're welcome and I'm only on lesson 4, LOL! You're so going to look back on these days as the easy ones. (But don't get discouraged, the pieces get more interesting also!
--

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Decided to give Old Mac Donald another go, could still stand to improve but overall much happier with this take.

-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:31 pm
Decided to give Old Mac Donald another go, could still stand to improve but overall much happier with this take.
Definitely an improvement.

Well done!

Bill
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:18 am

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:31 pm
Thats awesome Aaron. Thumb is correct, no stumbles, well done and more importantly, great job sticking with it. Are you doing Lesson 2 now? I hope so.
--

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:21 am

And this is the best part of the video.

The smile at the end. Oh man, you made my day. That's just so wonderful.
--

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:25 pm

Bill and Paul, thank you both for the words of encouragement, you guys rock! I am definitely working on lesson 2 Paul, for about a week and a half now hoping I'll have some time to record this weekend (and glad I could make your day :D )!
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

cor

Post by cor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Greetings fellow students, I just joined yesterday and after reading on the forum it looks like the new session starts September and after this post(my second post) I will be able to download a few lessons that should hold me over until the next session. I peaked at the vids that were posted above by Aaron and look forward to learning some tunes in the first lesson!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”