any equivalent to AppleWorks?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

any equivalent to AppleWorks?

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 pm

I was a big fan of Claris/AppleWorks. In particular, what I like was the integration between modules, especially the spreadsheet/database integration. Write in the data once and you could use it in either the spreadsheet or database just by changing views and use a subset of the same info for doing a mail merge. No module was cutting edge but it would still perfectly suit my needs.

Is there any "low power" but well integrated office suite available today for with mac or linux?

At present I am considering just buying another ancient mac with AppleWorks installed and keeping it for specific tasks. The tricky part will be printing to a modern printer. However the solution to that would be to use rtf and print from another machine.

As far as I am aware all the other "suites" are just collections of applications with little or no cross linking - or the cross linking is such that you need loads of training just to find out how to do the basics. Currently I have Apple, numbers, pages and keynote installed as well as the current Libre Office. Work machines generally have MS Office installed. None have any significant integration - or such integration as they have needs a PhD in office packages to make it work.

For my basic word processing what I actually use is wordpad/notepad on PC's and textedit (or rarely textedit-plus) on the mac and whatever basic gui text program that is installed in any linux I have to use. My level of "word processing" is typewriter attached to a printer.

It is specifically the database/spreadsheet integration that interests me. Modern spreadsheets alone probably would do the job for me but they are so enormously complex that the learning curve would involved way more time that I want to invest.

Any thoughts?

Mickmac

Re: any equivalent to AppleWorks?

Post by Mickmac » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 am

The standard MS Office replacement available in most Linux distributions is Libre Office - and I think there is a version for OS X too.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Any help?

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:18 pm

I use Libre Office as well. It has the same issues that the rest of the big packages have and oodleplexes of features and close to zero integration or at least I haven't found it. The powerpoint equivalent, which is what I use it for, is more ppt friendly than Apple Keynote (or at least the old version I have). I think I see another antique mac in my life sometime soon. :-).

( Aside: One of the reasons for the "rise of the app" is because for the casual user the big suites just have far too many options and nothing intuitive. Most people I know in the IT biz use Notepad, Wordpad or Evernote. Or Notepad++ if it is installed. The Ribbon pretty much killed off casual use of Word. (Far too much stuff changed to be bothered learning it all yet again, at least in the tekkie world).

I got my first mac in the early 90's and had never used one before. It came with a printer and ClarisWorks installed. From opening unpacking the boxes to printing my first doc, having previously only seen machines with dos and wordperfect, didn't not take 10 minutes. Configuring a new printer on a dos machine would have taken me half the day. The next task was to create a little database, write an little mailing and do a mail merge. Job done in about an hour having never seen the software before. /Aside)

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:41 pm

First off, I don't have an answer, just a "me too". :)

I'm currently using the Apple apps (Pages and Numbers — don't have a need for Keynote), and like them pretty well. There is some cross compatibility in terms of tables, etc., but alas, nothing like the integration of the old Appleworks.

Like you, I go all the way back to Clarisworks and really miss the integration of the old suite (especially the database module!). I do have an old copy of AW running on another Snow Leopard partition, but very rarely ever use it because of the inconvenience of restarting. Maybe someday someone will make an emulator...
- Donnie

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:58 pm

It is possible to run another version of MacOS as a virtual machine, but it is not easy. I had it running once back when there was a separate server version of the OS and it was semi-official. I don't recall how I did it back then - it is a while ago.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm

simonm wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 pm
It is specifically the database/spreadsheet integration that interests me. Modern spreadsheets alone probably would do the job for me but they are so enormously complex that the learning curve would involved way more time that I want to invest.
Indeed, Excel 2016 is trying to do everything under the sun, useful but takes a lot of time to learn everything :) . You could focus on the few features that you need and ignore the rest, which is fine if the employer is paying for the licence. Sorry, not sure I can offer alternatives, maybe scripting programming languages like python or serious text editing as in unix if you were a technical person.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 am

simonm wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:58 pm
It is possible to run another version of MacOS as a virtual machine, but it is not easy. I had it running once back when there was a separate server version of the OS and it was semi-official. I don't recall how I did it back then - it is a while ago.
I tried to do this years ago—in fact bought a copy of Snow Leopard server just for the occasion—but could never get it to work, either with Parallels or Virtualbox.
- Donnie

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 am

I probably have a snow leopard cd buried somewhere - maybe I will give it ago again. :-)

Return to “The Café”