Vicente Carrillo 1A Madagascar/Spruce Especial.....

fitness1

Vicente Carrillo 1A Madagascar/Spruce Especial.....

Post by fitness1 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Considering the purchase of a brand new 2019 Carrillo - I'd never heard of his instruments until about 2-3 months ago and for some reason have become a little fascinated.

Been playing for 40 years and while not a classical player, per se, I'm very picky about my nylon tone. I've been through a couple dozen instruments in the last 10 years or so, and currently playing a spruce top Cordoba Solista that I've modified a bit with dual sound ports and some other minor tweaks...it's really a fine sounding and playing instrument, but I'd like something "next level" to run with my custom steel strings.

I've done a search on the forums here, but there's limited info. Any other instruments I should put on my radar in the sub 3k (new or used) range would be welcome too.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin'

Realstaff

Re: Vicente Carrillo 1A Madagascar/Spruce Especial.....

Post by Realstaff » Sun May 26, 2019 8:21 pm

It sounds nice here

fitness1

Post by fitness1 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Yes, thanks....that's the Gabriella model. I've watched all the Carrillo videos and done tons of searches for info. Hoping for some first hand experience!

richtm

Post by richtm » Sun May 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Couple of years I looked into Carrillo guitars… I think they are well made and worth their price. At the end it's all a matter of taste. Also which model you prefer, Gabriella, G II, 1A or the India model
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

fitness1

Post by fitness1 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 pm

richtm wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:41 pm
Couple of years I looked into Carrillo guitars… I think they are well made and worth their price. At the end it's all a matter of taste. Also which model you prefer, Gabriella, G II, 1A or the India model
Yes, I wish I had some way to demo them, but that's not going to happen! :D

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 am

From what I know, they are good guitars and respected in the flamenco community. Paco de Lucia played one and joined forces with VC to create a line bearing his name. I played a blanca many years ago and was impressed. I would imagine his classicals are right up there as well.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Mon May 27, 2019 2:57 pm

My cross braced 'Herencia' spruce-top model from 2014 is really very good. Tried his other models and all were high quality, I just loved this one most. My 2014 'Pasion' is an exceptional flamenco guitar. I had the advantage of being at his workshop and choosing exactly what I wanted.

fitness1

Post by fitness1 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Thanks for the replies - I'm going to try to decide soon. Been in a mode of "wanting what I have" for a while now!

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm

you will find once you play a guitar on the level of a VC the overbuilt, factory guitar, Solista will pale in comparison.

Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

fitness1

Post by fitness1 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Keith wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm
you will find once you play a guitar on the level of a VC the overbuilt, factory guitar, Solista will pale in comparison.
My Solista isn't overbuilt anymore! :D I've lightened it up and installed dual ports.

I've owned a few 2-3k used classicals in the past and none really spoke to me, which makes me weary of spending that amount again when I have a "bird in the hand".

richtm

Post by richtm » Tue May 28, 2019 10:28 am

Have you done the Sound ports yourself? And how did you lighten it up? I am curious …. :merci: :mouton:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

fitness1

Post by fitness1 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:37 am

Yes - I've ported a couple dozen steel and nylon string guitars now - the ports on the Solista are slightly larger now than in the picture.

I've slightly reduced the main cross brace (near the soundhole), the back braces, and very slightly the top thickness around the lower bout. Even more slightly the fan braces. This was all done with 320 grit paper - sanding through the soundhole.

I've got a lot of experience doing this process with factory built steel strings.....I've only modified a couple classicals in this way. The results are more subtle with the classicals, but very tangible.

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm

Just curious how the sound changed--for each step and the end result?

Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

fitness1

Post by fitness1 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Keith wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm
Just curious how the sound changed--for each step and the end result?
The ports will do a few things if done correctly....

First, they act a bit like a breather hole on a gas can, the change the air resonance and slightly improve the sound out front, and send waves to the player so they can more accurately hear what's coming from out front.

In the case of classicals, they can smooth out boomy bass response which makes it hard to mic or record. Every classical I've ported it got much easier in regard to mic placement.

The dual ports in the positions shown above also create an ambiance to the sound that is hard to describe. I first experienced it about 10 years ago with a Josh House steel string. The ports on Josh's guitar were too large for the body, but it still gave this effect. There's just a wonderful surround effect present if you are really listening!

They also typically increase the treble "fatness" (especially on steel strings)

In regard to the slight modifications of the bracing and top - the goal is just a much "rounder" tone - more full in every frequency and an instrument that is more responsive to a lighter touch. There's a lot of intuition involved in this process and you have to be very careful. As noted above, factory built instruments are typically quite overbuilt because, as one of my builder buddies says "they don't want them returning to the mothership!". Many players don't properly humidify and end up with problems anyway, but as most of us here know, lightly built instruments are more susceptible to changes in temps and humidity.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Wed May 29, 2019 8:59 pm

I am very impressed by your skills, fitness1 ! Congrats!

And, yes, Carillo high end guitars are nice guitars.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”