Burguet 1a/Alhambra Linea Professional/Ramirez 4NE or something else?

RenaissanceStrings

Burguet 1a/Alhambra Linea Professional/Ramirez 4NE or something else?

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi all,

I would like to begin by thanking everyone who gave me advice on my previous post. With that being said, I have between 2500-3000GBP to spend on an instrument. I am a fan of a "mellower" sound rather than a "punchy" one, so maybe for this reason I am more inclined towards the sound of a Ramirez instrument. Regardless of that, I want the best value for money and after checking what is available in London (taking into consideration the advice given to me in my previous post), the following instruments have caught my eye. I would like to know what you feel is the best option from the following instruments (Things to consider? factory/luthier made - wood quality - tone/playability).

Ramirez 4NE - 2750 GBP (Maybe factory built in groups? Does it matter?)
Alhambra Linea Professional - 2350 GBP (Hand built?)
Amalio Burguet 1A - 2300 GBP (Hand built?)

Other options (Maybe affordable but I'd rather not spend that much)

Masaru Kohno - 3500 GBP (Hand-built)
Alhambra Mengual and Margarit - 3500 GBP (Hand-built)
Yulong Guo Cedar - 3000 GBP (Hand-built)

There are also some second hand options available on e - b a y as well as here on Delcamp but they involve travelling to other countries, which I am also open to (should it fit within my 2500-3000GBP budget).

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

I look forward to your responses and thank you all for your time.

Many thanks,
Mohsin

Realstaff

Re: Burguet 1a/Alhambra Linea Professional/Ramirez 4NE or something else?

Post by Realstaff » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:24 pm

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:40 pm

I forgot to mention the following instruments:

Manuel Adalid '37 Hauser - 2000 GBP
Juan Hernandez Maestro - 2000 GBP

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 pm

RenaissanceStrings wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:39 pm
...Ramirez 4NE - 2750 GBP...
That price sounds ridiculously high. Do bear in mind that the 4NE, while being a very nice factory-made high-end student guitar, is not a "concert guitar", which is what you said you wanted. I own an older Ramirez 4E and a luthier-built concert guitar -- they are in different leagues. For your price range, you can definitely do better with either a used guitar, or a better-priced new factory guitar. The two guitars you just mentioned in your last post are much more reasonably priced for that level of guitar.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 pm

RenaissanceStrings wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:39 pm
Alhambra Linea Professional - 2350 GBP (Hand built?)
The Linea Profesional is built by a team of about 5 luthiers AFAIK. I was very happy with mine, but had to sell it to finance a guitar from a local luthier here in Norway.

I think it's a lot of bang for the buck, but if you can get it second hand I'd consider that.

The £2000-2500 price range is a very crowded one and it's hard to recommend anything specific IMHO.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:20 pm

I was thinking the same thing. If I could find the 4NE between 1900-2200GBP I would buy it but 2750 seems insane. The big difficulty I am facing right now is finding any good quality instruments at the right price.
I could however push the envelope to 3500 for a luthier built instrument. Any suggestions?

Mohsin

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 pm

In this price range you don't have to settle for a production model-- there are many luthier made guitars that would be better than the ones you identify. That said-- I like the Juan Hernandez Hauser model. It is built in the Esteve workshop, but is made personally by Alberto Hernandez, Juan's son, who makes all of their deluxe guitars. Other recommendations in this range would be Wolfgang Jellinghaus guitars (a German luthier who works in China with four luthiers), I would also recommend the Bernabe model 15. Mario Romero and Pedro Maldonado in Spain are other individual luthiers who guitars are affordable.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:16 am

zavaletas wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 pm
In this price range you don't have to settle for a production model-- there are many luthier made guitars that would be better than the ones you identify. That said-- I like the Juan Hernandez Hauser model. It is built in the Esteve workshop, but is made personally by Alberto Hernandez, Juan's son, who makes all of their deluxe guitars. Other recommendations in this range would be Wolfgang Jellinghaus guitars (a German luthier who works in China with four luthiers), I would also recommend the Bernabe model 15. Mario Romero and Pedro Maldonado in Spain are other individual luthiers who guitars are affordable.
Thank you for your response sir. In regards to the instruments that I have presented, they are the ones which I have been able to find in London or nearby areas (London guitar studio/ivormairants/kent guitars/other classical guitar stores). It doesn't seem like there are too many classical guitars around at the moment. I agree with you about the quality of the Wolfgang Jellinghaus instruments, I have been playing their "Torres" model for the last year and I recently sold it.
That being said, my next question is in relation to the other instruments, which you have mentioned. Do you know a seller/store where I can try them in the UK? I have found a "Bernabe M20 - Cedar" for 2900, is that considered a concert instrument and is it worth the price?

I thank you so much for your time and advice.

Warm regards,
Mohsin

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:36 am

Does anyone have information on Juan Estruch guitars? There is an Especial Concierto model (AAA woods/handmade) available for 2,200GBP and it seems like a wonderful deal. I would love to know more about the maker if anyone has any information.

Thanks,
Mohsin

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:29 am

There is a Delcamp member who posted to sell a guitar made by Alastair McNeill and tagged within your budget.
The guitar is located in the UK. It is definitely a concert level instrument.
"After food, air and water, classical guitar is the next necessity of life."

1988 Kazuo Sato | 2005 Tobias Berg | 2007 Rolf Eichinger | 2014 Alexandru Marian | 2015 Christoph Sembdner | 2015 Antonio Raya Ferrer | 2016 Masaki Sakurai P.C.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:03 am

Nugent Guitars has a guitar built by Amalio Burguet himself for under £3000. Tony has a number of other luthier guitars in your price range.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm

quixilver wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:29 am
There is a Delcamp member who posted to sell a guitar made by Alastair McNeill and tagged within your budget.
The guitar is located in the UK. It is definitely a concert level instrument.
I just saw that post, it is a lovely instrument and very well demonstrated by the gentleman. Nevertheless at the risk of sounding like an ignoramus, I would very much like to own a cedar top. I like a more "mellow" that a "punchy" sound.
I do however thank you for your time.

Mohsin

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:37 pm

DerekB wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:03 am
Nugent Guitars has a guitar built by Amalio Burguet himself for under £3000. Tony has a number of other luthier guitars in your price range.
Thank you for the information kind sir. It has helped a lot.

Mohsin

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:57 pm

I haven't played a Burguet 1a but I have the impression from the models you have listed it must be as close as it gets to a real luthier made instrument with the sound profile you prefer.

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:46 am

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:57 pm
I haven't played a Burguet 1a but I have the impression from the models you have listed it must be as close as it gets to a real luthier made instrument with the sound profile you prefer.
Thanks for your response. I'll go in, try them all out and choose the one which feel right. The key is to enjoy playing the instrument.

Mohsin

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”