Need advice for some CG gigs + acoustic guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
tormodg

Need advice for some CG gigs + acoustic guitar

Post by tormodg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 am

Hi guys,

I am looking for a nice multi effects unit for my steel string (a Taylor 322E 14 fret).

For example the Boss AD10 or a Zoom AC3 or similar unit.

But I am mostly a CG player and I am wondering if it would be possible to run my CG through such a device for composition/improvisation purposes. How would I do it? Would I use a microphone? (I have a couple of Røde NT-1A mics which I use with a Zoom H5 to record CG).

I have a couple of smallish gigs coming up where I will be using both CG and acoustic guitar and it would be nice to be able to use the same equipment with both.

I'd love to hear your recommendations or suggestions.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Conall

Re: Need advice for some CG gigs + acoustic guitar

Post by Conall » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 am

I have a cheap solid body nylon and a zoom effects mini pedal board thing with reverb, chorus, distortion etc. These worked well and I was able as a nylon player to get a reasonable approximation of an electric (steel string). I rarely use them anymore except for the odd musical. I was able to get a mandolin effect for Fiddler on the Roof for example - much handier than trying to learn mandolin quickly (which I tried - briefly). Some effect boxes include banjo sound - would have been useful for Showboat when I played for that in the 90s.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks Conall.
Conall wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 am
Izoom effects mini pedal board thing with reverb, chorus, distortion
Which Zoom do you own?

Conall

Post by Conall » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:04 pm

tormodg wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:34 pm
Thanks Conall.
Conall wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 am
Izoom effects mini pedal board thing with reverb, chorus, distortion
Which Zoom do you own?
An old Zoom gfx-707

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Lots of advice avalailable on this topic the acoustic guitar forum.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Ronjazz, a Delcamper, recommended the passive pickup system kna NG-1 by the company Kremona to me. It's cheap and non-invasive and sounds more natural than any undersaddle piezo I have heard. Of course, it needs a little EQ.
If you try this on stage: you will need a preamp (or microphone input at the mixer), it doesn't produce a line level signal. It goes into my LR Baggs Venue DI. But I guess that you can plug it directly into every electric or acoustic guitar multi-effect box.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 pm

Gorn wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:55 pm
Ronjazz, a Delcamper, recommended the passive pickup system kna NG-1 by the company Kremona to me.
Wow, that is an interesting little gadget. I found it on Amazon UK for only $33 so I ordered one. :mrgreen:

For my gigs I have bought a Fishman Artist acoustic amp and plan to use it with my Røde NT1A mic, but the NG-1 might be just what I was looking for and should work well with that amp.

eveness612

Post by eveness612 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pm

I am a big fan of Boss effects, whether individual pedals or multi-effects. I have a K&K pickup installed in my classical guitar. I often use a looper, definitely an EQ, and reverb or delay. My repertoire is everything from classical to folk to indie rock. My acoustics (Martins and Taylors) have factory installed pickups (Fishman and Taylor Expression Sysytem). The CG, an old Cordoba 55R, sounds better plugged in than acoustic. I have installed the K&K pickup myself on a couple of instruments. It isn't too difficult, and I think they are excellent pickups.Here is a YouTube video I made of the install on a c. 1967 Martin baritone ukulele. It is the same method for any instrument. The key is finding the sweet spots. It is the K&K Twin. Best of luck!

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks eveness612, nice advice.

I have bought a second hand Mooer Ocean Machine and a Boss RC-30 looper. I haven't had the chance to spend much time with them yet due to lots of work before my holiday, but I look forward to experimenting with using both my steel string and my CG to see what I can get out of it.

eveness612

Post by eveness612 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:56 pm

I have the RC-30. I love it. I have the RC-1 also, just as a space saver when I need to go small. The RC-30 is awesome. I had a few Mooer pedals, but I wasn't as pleased with the sound as the Boss pedals, so I got rid of them and now I am only Boss effects. Have fun with the looper!

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”