Hernández y Aguado copy

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
Juan CAR
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Location: Málaga (Spain)

Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Juan CAR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm

I just finished my first classical guitar (although it's not my first instrument). A copy of Hernández and Aguado, top of cedar, rings and rosewood back of Madagascar (CITES). I used only hot hide glue and manual tools (I have only a small space to work). 260 hours of work, six months (I am an amateur luthier). This guitar is left-handed, I made it for myself.

I am very happy in general, especially with the sound. I have made minor aesthetic mistakes, but I assume that they are part of learning!

Thank you very much to this forum and especially to the members who have helped me with the doubts!!!

Greetings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1743
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by rinneby » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Very nice work my friend. The Perona? tuners fit the guitar well too.

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

User avatar
Juan CAR
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Location: Málaga (Spain)

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Juan CAR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:02 pm

rinneby wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:47 pm
Very nice work my friend. The Perona? tuners fit the guitar well too.

/J
Thank you very much!

possum
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 1:23 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by possum » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Congratulations! For a first attempt that looks superb.

User avatar
jhapgood
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by jhapgood » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Juan,

That's a lovely guitar! Thank you for sharing the photos with us... Now it's time to work on the next one! :D

Kind Regards,

Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

LBHill
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:04 pm
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by LBHill » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:51 pm

Beautiful guitar. Very nice work. I really like your peg head shape and design.
Geri Carletto 2007 Spruce/Indian RW

User avatar
Pat Foster
Luthier
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Pat Foster » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:50 am

Bravo!

vesa
Posts: 842
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:52 pm
Location: Sulva, Finland

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by vesa » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 am

Hi Juan

Really well done! :bravo:
Does not look like ¨first¨ one.
Did you use Courtnall plans?
Is there coming nr. 2 ?

Vesa
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

User avatar
guitarseller345645
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 am
Location: Far East

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:31 am

Great work!

Costantino Proietti
Amateur luthier
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: Rome

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Costantino Proietti » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 pm

vesa wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 am
Hi Juan

Really well done! :bravo:
Does not look like ¨first¨ one.
Did you use Courtnall plans?


Vesa
Very nice work indeed! Could you share informations about strutting and soundboard thickness?
A fact is the most obstinate thing in the world. Bulgakov
Every maker produces 'their' sound. A. Carruth

Mr.Rain
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:43 pm
Location: Dublin/Alicante

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 am

Juan CAR wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm
I just finished my first classical guitar (although it's not my first instrument). A copy of Hernández and Aguado, top of cedar, rings and rosewood back of Madagascar (CITES). I used only hot hide glue and manual tools (I have only a small space to work). 260 hours of work, six months (I am an amateur luthier). This guitar is left-handed, I made it for myself.

I am very happy in general, especially with the sound. I have made minor aesthetic mistakes, but I assume that they are part of learning!

Thank you very much to this forum and especially to the members who have helped me with the doubts!!!

Greetings.
Hola Juan Carlos,

Impressive job, I guess, you have a background on woodworking (such a clean work!!)

I am Surprised about the rosette,as it is really the one used by Hernandez y Aguado ( specially like the zig-zag/ladder shaped ribbon and the green/red color combination!)

Did you made the rosette? i saw an online article with the build of the same one :
http://guitarra-acustica.com/2019/03/co ... -clasicas/

On the other hand, the such a nice Madagascar, I think you used it also for the bindings, instead of using indian rosewood pre made "filetes"? ,color match is perfect (I have a Madagascar guitar with indian binding and it stands out like a sore thumb,btw that guitar uses the Hernandez and Aguado "ribbon" in the headplate,so it did my old concert guitar)


Anyway congrats on the build,hope it sounds as good as it looks! :bye:

User avatar
Juan CAR
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Location: Málaga (Spain)

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Juan CAR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:10 am

vesa wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 am
Hi Juan

Really well done! :bravo:
Does not look like ¨first¨ one.
Did you use Courtnall plans?
Is there coming nr. 2 ?

Vesa
Thank you very much to all you for your kind comments.

I have some experience making lutes and vihuelas, this is my first guitar but my sixth instrument. I followed the Courtnall plans, fan bracing pattern (5 bars).

User avatar
Juan CAR
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Location: Málaga (Spain)

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Juan CAR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 am

LBHill wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:51 pm
Beautiful guitar. Very nice work. I really like your peg head shape and design.
Thank you very much. The peg head design is copy of Hernández y Aguado. I love this design from I was a young guitar student and saw the picture of Regino Sainz de la Maza playing one of his guitars in the Spanish edition of the Sor's Guitar Method.

User avatar
Juan CAR
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Location: Málaga (Spain)

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Juan CAR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:19 am

Costantino Proietti wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 pm
vesa wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 am
Hi Juan

Really well done! :bravo:
Does not look like ¨first¨ one.
Did you use Courtnall plans?


Vesa
Very nice work indeed! Could you share informations about strutting and soundboard thickness?
Thank you!

Strutting as Courtnall first Hernández y Aguado bracing pattern. Fan pattern, five bars.

The soundboard is cedar, the thikcness is between 2,2 and 2,8 mm.

User avatar
Juan CAR
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Location: Málaga (Spain)

Re: Hernández y Aguado copy

Post by Juan CAR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:32 am

Mr.Rain wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 am
Juan CAR wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm
I just finished my first classical guitar (although it's not my first instrument). A copy of Hernández and Aguado, top of cedar, rings and rosewood back of Madagascar (CITES). I used only hot hide glue and manual tools (I have only a small space to work). 260 hours of work, six months (I am an amateur luthier). This guitar is left-handed, I made it for myself.

I am very happy in general, especially with the sound. I have made minor aesthetic mistakes, but I assume that they are part of learning!

Thank you very much to this forum and especially to the members who have helped me with the doubts!!!

Greetings.
Hola Juan Carlos,

Impressive job, I guess, you have a background on woodworking (such a clean work!!)

I am Surprised about the rosette,as it is really the one used by Hernandez y Aguado ( specially like the zig-zag/ladder shaped ribbon and the green/red color combination!)

Did you made the rosette? i saw an online article with the build of the same one :
http://guitarra-acustica.com/2019/03/co ... -clasicas/

On the other hand, the such a nice Madagascar, I think you used it also for the bindings, instead of using indian rosewood pre made "filetes"? ,color match is perfect (I have a Madagascar guitar with indian binding and it stands out like a sore thumb,btw that guitar uses the Hernandez and Aguado "ribbon" in the headplate,so it did my old concert guitar)


Anyway congrats on the build,hope it sounds as good as it looks! :bye:
Thank you very much. I followed the exact desing of Hernández y Aguado for the rossette. The same except for the herringbone that was problematic for me to do (breaking issues) and result in a too thick rossete pattern. My rosette is my first one (I have experience only with carved rosettes in Renaissance and Baroque style) and has a big collection on small mistakes, but is my first one, I,hope the next one was better!

The article you say is from my blog, I wrote this article while was.working in the rosette. This process take me 35 hours (yes, too much time!).

I used the rest of the Madagascar ribs for make the bindings in the sane wood that the ribs.

Return to “Luthiers”