Sneak preview: 2015/16 Johnny Walker

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Keith

Re: Sneak preview: 2015/16 Johnny Walker

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:09 pm

I own a Johnny Walker--David's ex flamenco. Nice guitar and nice workmanship.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:49 am

David_Norton wrote:
Polifemo de Oro wrote:I came in here expecting to find some whiskey this morning. I'm leaving now.

(Congrats! :mrgreen: )
That's JOHNNIE Walker. But Johnny (the luthier) knows the joke, and his label has an intertwined Red and Black border.
Oh, David, you're right. You caught me in a booze mistake (a rarity, I assure you!). I am so . . . ashamed! That will teach me to look more closely at the labels on the stuff that I swill in the future. :mrgreen:

Anyway, please do give us a review of your new guitar when you have had a chance to acquaint yourself with it!

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:56 pm

This will be my 4th Johnny Walker guitar. The first, #552 from 2007, was cedar & black walnut, 645mm, and a strongly radiused fretboard. I just didn't gel with that guitar, so I sold it. Then I ordered #588 in 2009, the spruce & cypress 640mm blanca which Keith references above. You can hear it if you go to YT and search my version of Bach's "Sarabande in B minor". Obviously I sold it to Keith, during one of my periodic closet-cleaning binges. Or maybe I was funding a different purchase? I don't recall! :lol: But it's a really a nice instrument. Next I bought #559 from Rick (beancntr) which was a near-twin to #552, same woods and same build-batch but 650mm. THAT guitar has really become my Main Ax over the last couple of years, and is the one I used on the CD*. Now we have #644 coming along, due to be delivered in 4-6 weeks depending on weather and how well the finish all cures up this time of year.

Johnny is a meticulous builder in the traditional style, and fully warranties his work. High recommendations for anyone looking for this sort of Old School guitar.

* The CD is called "Avenues", available on CD Baby com, or The Bay, or directly from me.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:04 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
Oh, David, you're right. You caught me in a booze mistake (a rarity, I assure you!). I am so . . . ashamed! That will teach me to look more closely at the labels on the stuff that I swill in the future. :mrgreen:
A common error, and one I've used to my advantage.

I did a solo concert in October 2012, on the Saturday before Halloween. A few people who said they were going to attend were no-shows. One told me "hey, it came down to hearing you perform, or going to a Halloween party. You lost". I simply said, "that's too bad, I had a full case of Johnny Walker at the concert which everyone enjoyed". He heard "a full case of Johnnie Walker" and his eyes bugged out..... I did not bother to correct the spelling for him. :twisted:
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:50 am

It arrived today! Looks very nice in person.

And of course, I tore off two fingernails today moving a filing cabinet at work. So I think it sounds pretty good, but the nails will have to regrow to know for sure, and to make a sound sample.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Robert England
Luthier

Post by Robert England » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:12 am

Sorry to hear about the nails, David.
Robert

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:42 pm

There's about a 1/2 inch sheet metal wrap-around on the back of the filing cabinet, running top to bottom on both sides, where the sides are attached to the back. As we made the final jostle to get the cabinet in place, my index and middle nails got caught on that lip, and were very neatly sheared right off in a raggedy but reasonably straight line. Took half-a-second to happen. Well, they will grow out in a couple of weeks. Timing could've been better, though.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

James Stewart

Post by James Stewart » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Beautiful. Very stunning! I hope you enjoy it.

hanredman

Post by hanredman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:46 pm

David_Norton wrote:This will be my 4th Johnny Walker guitar. The first, #552 from 2007, was cedar & black walnut, 645mm, and a strongly radiused fretboard. I just didn't gel with that guitar, so I sold it. Then I ordered #588 in 2009, the spruce & cypress 640mm blanca which Keith references above. You can hear it if you go to YT and search my version of Bach's "Sarabande in B minor". Obviously I sold it to Keith, during one of my periodic closet-cleaning binges. Or maybe I was funding a different purchase? I don't recall! :lol: But it's a really a nice instrument. Next I bought #559 from Rick (beancntr) which was a near-twin to #552, same woods and same build-batch but 650mm. THAT guitar has really become my Main Ax over the last couple of years, and is the one I used on the CD*. Now we have #644 coming along, due to be delivered in 4-6 weeks depending on weather and how well the finish all cures up this time of year.

Johnny is a meticulous builder in the traditional style, and fully warranties his work. High recommendations for anyone looking for this sort of Old School guitar.

* The CD is called "Avenues", available on CD Baby com, or The Bay, or directly from me.
Hi David,

This makes me think of a reported encounter between Joseph Haydn and his wife, where upon reporting to her that he was writing another symphony (he of course wrote 104 of them), she cried out in agony:" No, please Joseph! Not another symphony!!!" In your case, "Oh no David! Not another Johnny Walker guitar!!!"............:-)
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

theknowle

Post by theknowle » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Beautiful guitar!
I particularly like the look of the maple bridge.
Is the neck mahogany?

MrSteve

Post by MrSteve » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:14 pm

David

May I ask
How many guitars do you actually own?

I have guilt for owning at one time 4 (actually it was 5, but my wife couldn't see the small Yamaha silent guitar tucked away). Now, I'm down to 2
2016 Chris Sobel Luthier Guitar Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
2007 Darren Hippner Hauser SP/BRW
Yamaha SLG130NW Classical Silent

2012 Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Double Top SP/EIRW (SOLD)

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:03 pm

MrSteve wrote:David

May I ask
How many guitars do you actually own?
At this point, eight instruments (which my spouse likewise feels constitues six too many). One or two may get sold, but the "core group" (1 each cedar or spruce in 650, 1 each cedar or spruce in 640, a 10-string, and an 8-string) will be retained. This Walker filled the missing space in the 640 set. I'm in no hurry to make a sale.

At one point, I owned 17 of the blessed things. Thank heavens THAT bit of insanity is passed.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Luthiers”