Polishing pernambuco 2

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Jim Frieson

Polishing pernambuco 2

Post by Jim Frieson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Another pernambuco . Polish is Kusmi button lac . Back and sides have been rottenstoned and are ready for a bright rubbing down .
DSCF5315.jpg
DSCF5316.jpg
DSCF5319.jpg
DSCF5322.jpg
DSCF5331.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrWopsle

Re: Polishing pernambuco 2

Post by MrWopsle » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 am

Another stunner!

DD

jim watts

Post by jim watts » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:30 am

Jim, both of these guitars are quite beautiful. Quick question - Do you dewax your button lac?

Jim Frieson

Post by Jim Frieson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:17 am

jim watts wrote:Jim, both of these guitars are quite beautiful. Quick question - Do you dewax your button lac?
Yes I do Jim . Good button lac will go clear - clear toppings . Rather like ghee used in India for cooking . Except unlike butter it takes a long time .
So I just make it in advance of using it , and leave it on a high shelf somewhere warm . I reckon it would settle faster in NM than it does here .
We still have snow on the ground in the woods .

jim watts

Post by jim watts » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:34 am

Thanks Jim.
I'm getting ready to use some Kusmi button lac for the first time. I dewaxed it by setting the jar in the sun on a window sill, the added warmth really seemed to speed up the process. The majority of the wax came out in 4-5 hours. The sun got it nice and warm but not hot. However, I wasn't really sure if button lac needed to be dewaxed or not as there seems to be a wide variety of opinions on dewaxing button lac.

We still have some snow too, in fact it snowed this last Monday, enough to delay schools and such while they plowed. I'm ready for summer or at least spring!
Thanks for the reply.

radicicclassical

Post by radicicclassical » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:09 am

Gosh , Jim! -All look beautiful, but that pernambuco is killer look ! Love it!

Return to “Luthiers”