Asturias JM 15 S Classical Guitar

WHM

Asturias JM 15 S Classical Guitar

Post by WHM » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:58 am

anyone have any knowledge about these guitars. actually this model in general. I found info on the builders site. nothing about this model that i can find.

thanks
bill

andreas777

Re: Asturias JM 15 S Classical Guitar

Post by andreas777 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Currently I have 9 Asturias guitars including a JM20S and a JM15C. (I still wait for the coupon that says: Buy 9, get 1 for free.)

As you probably have found out by yourself already, Asturias is a guitar manufacture (or workshop) in Japan where a few skilled luthiers build guitars since about 1980. The history of Asturias is linked to the two key luthiers Masaru Matano (who founded the company, and already built guitars in the 70ies), and Tsuji Wataru. More information about their history can be found in the internet.

Asturias has changed the names of their models a few times. At the time the JM15 was built there were basically 4 models: A8, A10, JM15, JM20, where JM stands for John Mills, and the suffix S for a spruce top and C for a cedar top. The guitarist John Mills played an Asturias guitar, and the company named their two top models accordingly. After the connection with the guitarist broke up, they renamed their models to: Standard, Prelude, Custom, and Renaissance, that means the JM15 model is not built anymore. In the internet you can read that a JM15 is now named Custom, but the models are not exactly the same and have changed over the time. For example, the purflings of the JM15 and the Custom are different.

The JM15S has a solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, and and ebony fingerboard. In my view the quality of Asturias guitars is excellent. Just take the two "entry" models Asturias Standard and Bernabe M5 that are both sold at a similar price level, and then compare the quality of the wood and the build quality. For me an Asturias Standard looks more like a luthier-built guitar, and a Bernabe M5 like a factory-built guitar. (Beside my 9 Asturias guitars I have seen and played various Bernabe Mx guitars. This is my experience and other forum members might of course prefer Bernabe guitars.)

Just let me know if you need more information...
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

ericwc

Post by ericwc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:57 am

I have been wanting to purchase an Asturias JM-15S and/ or JM-20S for some time. These guitars were built in the mid-1980s.

I own an Asturias A10S from 1985, a 2010 Mario Gropp Spezial guitar (spruce) and a 2016 Kevin Aram Torres guitar. Purchasing an Asturias JM-15 S and/ or JM-20S would be an interesting addition to my collection.

Can anyone help me? Please contact me.

Many thanks,

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:54 pm

ericwc wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:57 am
I have been wanting to purchase an Asturias JM-15S and/ or JM-20S for some time. These guitars were built in the mid-1980s.

I own an Asturias A10S from 1985, a 2010 Mario Gropp Spezial guitar (spruce) and a 2016 Kevin Aram Torres guitar. Purchasing an Asturias JM-15 S and/ or JM-20S would be an interesting addition to my collection.

Can anyone help me? Please contact me.

Many thanks,
Where do you like Eric?

/J
Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

ericwc

Post by ericwc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 am

Did you mean to ask "Where do you live Eric". If so, I live in Sydney, Australia.

I would be interested with either an Asturias JM15S or Asturias JM20S. The instrument would have to be in reasonable condition.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:42 am

ericwc wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 am
Did you mean to ask "Where do you live Eric". If so, I live in Sydney, Australia.

I would be interested with either an Asturias JM15S or Asturias JM20S. The instrument would have to be in reasonable condition.
Have you seen that there is an Asturias JM 3456 for sale in Australia? I think the crack in the varnish could be fixed easily by a local luthier.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”