Sad news

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
MartenFalk

Sad news

Post by MartenFalk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:36 am

Very sad news: the great Danish guitarist, scholar and pedagogue Erling Møldrup has passed away. His untiring quest to expand the repertoire resulted in an enormous repertoire of Danish masterpieces, among other things a couple of hours of music for solo guitar by Per Nørgård. He wrote enlightened articles in international magazines and a great book on the history of the guitar in Denmark. He was a wonderful collegue and after every CD I made he wrote heartwarming letters of encouragement. He is a role model. Rest in peace Erling.

David Norton

Re: Sad news

Post by David Norton » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Sorry to hear this. He played a solo recital here in Salt Lake City some 12-15 years ago. Apparently he had family members living in Utah, or at least they did at that time. His programme that night was entirely modern "edgy" sort of music, which unfortunately did not go over so well with the audience despite being played very well. RIP Erling indeed.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Marten. May he rest in peace and may his legacy live on.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Rest In Peace, Erling.

vesa

Post by vesa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Erling was one of those with a fire in the heart(ildsjæl) for getting new music for our instrument.
When at his prime he got almost all danish composers involved in his projects,
premiering solo and chamber music written to him and to his co players.
The amount of the works as well as quality is significant.
I was with in some of his several projects in 90´s were he was a conductor or ¨a primus motor¨.
His place in the ¨guitar map¨ will be difficult to fill.
Jeg kondolerer familien(my condolences to the family).
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:26 pm

I first heard about Mr. Erling by listening to Per Norgard guitar solos. I was impressed by both author and player at that time. My condolences to his family and friends.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:49 pm

From a colleague of mine who attended the Salt Lake concert all those years ago:

"He was a gentleman in a sometimes ungentle world. I still remember his concert, which was a little tedious. But he wasn't; he was graciousness personified. I can give no higher compliment to anyone."
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

6strings

Post by 6strings » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:36 pm

I have some of his recordings, I really like his playing. Yes sad news indeed.

Dimitris Pothitos

Post by Dimitris Pothitos » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Sad news... May he rests in peace.

graceman

Post by graceman » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:24 am

David_Norton wrote:From a colleague of mine who attended the Salt Lake concert all those years ago:

"He was a gentleman in a sometimes ungentle world. I still remember his concert, which was a little tedious. But he wasn't; he was graciousness personified. I can give no higher compliment to anyone."
This explains a lot of Erling Møldrup. I was not present at the Salt lake concert - but I would guess that he took the opportunity to play som pieces from the new Modern Danish Repertoire - which offcourse can be a challenge for a traditionally oriented audience. To me this shows the courage of a true musician. He always played the music he believed in - not the music the traditional audience wanted. Some of the very new rising stars on the scene could learn something from that attitude I think. ( I don't want to hear Asturias anymore if you know what i mean) ....
"..don't be afraid to miss a note. Being afraid is the only way you are sure to miss it.."

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Just saw his Wikipedia page is not update with a death date. I'd do it if I knew how.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erling_M%C3%B8ldrup

(I think I figured out how to change it.)
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Public Space”